PWC 4 Stroke...opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bluestream....I think you are confusing an FC-W spec certified oil with the FC-W (Cat) certified oil.
Here is how they differ:

National Marine Manufacturers Association approved a new catalyst-friendly four-stroke cycle marine engine oil specification that focuses on limiting catalyst poisoning. This specification, indicated by an FC-W Catalyst Compatible® designation, was introduced into the marketplace in 2009.

The four-stroke catalyst compatible specification puts some additional ranges and limits on the additives in the oil, compared to the FC-W® oil specification.

In addition, there are five different limits in chemical or test requirements in the catalyst version of the specification versus the basic FC-W® requirement. The FC-W Catalyst Compatible® oil specification has a limit on phosphorus, while there is no limit under the basic FC-W® specification. The FC-W Catalyst Compatible® specification also adds a limit for silicon, while there is no limit for the standard FC-W®. The FC-W Catalyst Compatible® specification also adds a "stay-in-grade" requirement per SAE J300, while no stay-in-grade requirement exists for the former. Also, a Noack volatility requirement is a requirement of the FC-W Catalyst Compatible® oil specification while there is no limit to the FC-W® specification. Finally, while there also is no wear requirement for the standard FC-W® oil specification, a Sequence IVA wear requirement exists for the FC-W Catalyst Compatible® specification.

My desired oil certification is the standard FC-W. If you do a little more research on the same site, you can see the differences and why I chose this specific certification in a specifically designed marine grade oil. You may not agree with my choose (which is fine of course) but I just wanted to make sure you understood the reasoning I have and the difference between an FC-W vs. a FC-W (Cat) certification. Both certifications coexist and each one has it's own product list.

Last edited:
Is that engine supercharged? I know my seadoo's have some special considerations stemming from the clutches on the supercharger, they are a metal disk type clutch and they are kinda touchy about maintenance and the oil you run in them. Service life of the clutch is 100-200hrs depending on what year ski you have and servicing them runs between $600-1000. Wrong oil has killed them in under 10hrs.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Is that engine supercharged? I know my seadoo's have some special considerations stemming from the clutches on the supercharger, they are a metal disk type clutch and they are kinda touchy about maintenance and the oil you run in them. Service life of the clutch is 100-200hrs depending on what year ski you have and servicing them runs between $600-1000. Wrong oil has killed them in under 10hrs.

No....just a naturally aspirated engine.

The only options I'm considering though are outlined in my first post of this thread. I realize just about any oil meeting the warranty spec will work.

I have run Amsoil High Zinc formula 10w40 in my 2006 Honda R12X Turbo most of it's life. Currently sitting at 514 hours ,and running great. Like some have said, the top tier lubricants aren't always needed , but I get the satisfaction you do knowing the best is in there.

I do plan on using Amsoil in my 2014 SeaDoo RXP-X at some point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anthony
I have run Amsoil High Zinc formula 10w40 in my 2006 Honda R12X Turbo most of it's life. Currently sitting at 514 hours ,and running great. Like some have said, the top tier lubricants aren't always needed , but I get the satisfaction you do knowing the best is in there.

I do plan on using Amsoil in my 2014 SeaDoo RXP-X at some point.

Yes....I'll most likely just go with the Amsoil. Seems like a lot of boating enthusiasts have gone this way with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back