Off centered sway bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it make a difference in handling if my rear sway is off centered? It was centered when I installed it, but after a couple of days it looks like it moved more towards the left.

2ef520i.jpg
2zfopko.jpg

Personaly, I can't tell from your pictures but, if you think the swaybar moved, I believe you! Also, I can't tell if this it the front or rear of the vehicle(sort'a looks like the rear).

What I can see is on the second picture, it looks as it has moved slightly at the swaybar link but, this would be on my RIGHT!

Can you move it back to where you want it?

Last edited:
If it moved the brackets for the bushings were likely not correctly located.

It will have a bias now, the car should roll more one way than the other...

If it's normal play in the links, you're fine and it's doing it's job. If you bent the brackets, you have a problem. You won't notice a difference. If it handles as good or better as it did before the replacement, leave it and forget about it.

The front bar on the Focus shifted over by itself too, enough that starts to rub in extreme suspension movement. I greased the bushings and it seems to self centre now.

Correction, someone earlier mentioned the sway bar indeed moved more towards the right (passenger side).
The rear sway didn't come with bracket stoppages, which I found weird since my stock sway and other aftermarket sways have them. Which is the main reason I think it got off center in the first place.
It does handle better, but I'm thinking that's by default since it is a thicker bar. I'd have more peace of mind if it was centered but if someone says it doesn't really make a difference, I can live with it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Unrestrained sways will have some side to side movement. Your picture could just depict the last turn before parking. Pretty normal.

That said my Whiteline aftermarket sways came with locking clamps that go around the bars to halt such movement. Not sure how much this buys, but the improvement from stock is huge:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Whiteline-BSF39XZ-Front-Sway-Bar-24mm-Adjustable

This sway is similar to my Hotchkis sway since it's 'unrestrained' like you mentioned. I might need to buy clamps. But I really just want to sell this sway bar and buy one with a welded on bracket stopper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
How does that sway bar work? It looks like it wouldn't twist, it would just push up in the U shaped ends. Is it installed correctly?

That's what I was wondering. With the bend straight up and down, how does it possibly work?

I understand how sway bars work, but the one in the pictures doesn't appear to be able to generate torque. The links and sway bar ends appear to point in a straight line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back