AC Oil Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETL

I am looking for information on a product called Arctic Blast, part number 06201, manufactured by Arctic Distributors in Richardson, Texas.
This is an AC Oil additive that they claim will lower the AC vent temperature through some form of molecular change to the refrigerant.
They offer nothing on the MSDS. The product is .4 fl. ozs. of what appears to be a PAG or PAO.
I am curious what additive could affect such a change?

Snake oil.

The MOC snake oil sales guy was pushing this and we did a vacuum pull and recharge on a car and he added that junk. He was saying how well it worked because the air coming out the vents was 5 degrees cooler. Our line and A/C / electrical techs started busting out laughing making fun of him. One of the techs showed a screenshot on his phone saying the outside temp (our shop is outside) dropped 10 degrees from when he started until when he finished proving he was all [censored].

Quote:
This is an AC Oil additive that they claim will lower the AC vent temperature through some form of molecular change to the refrigerant.

A yea, good try.
lol.gif

Regardless of whether there is any merit to a product's claims or not, any time I read the word "rearranges molecules" or "molecular change" I'm done.

I did some looking around, there are some car dealers that advertise this specific additive.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Snake oil.

The MOC snake oil sales guy was pushing this and we did a vacuum pull and recharge on a car and he added that junk. He was saying how well it worked because the air coming out the vents was 5 degrees cooler. Our line and A/C / electrical techs started busting out laughing making fun of him. One of the techs showed a screenshot on his phone saying the outside temp (our shop is outside) dropped 10 degrees from when he started until when he finished proving he was all [censored].

It may not do a "molecular change" to the existing refrigerant, but it may be a different hydrocarbon with slightly different thermodynamics.

Sort of like when people were playing with propane, butane and R-12 in the old days...

Is this an oil additive or a supplement to the existing refrigerant, or what? I had a hard time trying to find out just what it is.

And yeah, I knew a guy that ran straight propane in his car's A/C system. It seemed to work fine
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It may not do a "molecular change" to the existing refrigerant, but it may be a different hydrocarbon with slightly different thermodynamics.

Sort of like when people were playing with propane, butane and R-12 in the old days..

Originally Posted By: kschachn
And yeah, I knew a guy that ran straight propane in his car's A/C system. It seemed to work fine
eek.gif

YIKES!!! I would hate to be riding in that car when he got in a minor front-end collision or broke a high pressure A/C hose. That car would turn into a fire ball instantly!

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: kschachn
eek.gif

YIKES!!! I would hate to be riding in that car when he got in a minor front-end collision or broke a high pressure A/C hose. That car would turn into a fire ball instantly!

That's the fear, but I think it has been proven to be a non issue practically.

Yeah what with the fuel lines under the hood I can't imagine it is a lot more dangerous. The thermodynamics of propane are close to R-12 so it worked pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back