Tint Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,
This may be a strange question, but I will go ahead and throw it out there. I plan on tinting the 2 front windows on my 2002 Silverado. I know it is cheap to get just those 2 done, but I can get a roll of Gila tint from Advanced for $9 after their discount, you can’t beat that! Now I have tinted a few windows but it has been a WHILE and I always have waste. I did have a big roll of tint that I used to play with and if I cut wrong, oh well. Well that tint has run out so I am looking for the most efficient way/cheapest way to do this.

If I buy one roll of the Gila, it will be just enough to do both of the front windows, but a wrong cut would send me back to the store. I was watching a video online where the guy tinted the back window, and after he was done with the rear window he used the clear backing of that tint to cut the template for the front/sides, then laid the template on the tint and traced it out. Sounds like an awesome idea to me, but I of course won’t be doing the back window in order to have the clear backing.

So my question is, what could I use in order to make a template like this?
whistle.gif

Check eBay. You can buy precut tint for nearly any vehicle now.

Its cheap too. $20 for my F150. Just grab some J&J baby shampoo and water in a spray bottle and a soft squeegee and you're set.

Clean your windows really well, crack half an inch, spray outside with a soapy water solution. Place tint on soapy solution, use window as a guide and slide razor knife across the glass edge to trim to fit. Dont trim the bottom.

Clean the inside really well. Roll window down slightky anf push door seal into door. Apply soapy solution, peel and apply tint to solution, maneuver into position. Cut bottom slightly longer. Squeegee out water with either squegee or credit card. Wait ten, put window up, park in sun, check for water in an hour and possibky squegee again. Gtg in a day.

Personally, a tin shop should charge 60 for two fronts, worth the aggravation.

Make sure it is turned the proper way, and hold it on the outside and cut it there then fit to the inside.

YMMV

I once bought the pre-cut tints on ebay. It was in the garbage after 2 minutes. Unless you have experience & a helper, I'd pay for the pros to do it. It doesn't cost much, and will have a lifetime warranty.

If you buy the tint I bet you could find a tint guy that would put it on for you for about $20. It's just 2 flat front windows, a very simple job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back