by AndySantoro
12/19/14 01:35 PM
Am losing brake fluid
by MalfunctionProne
12/19/14 12:56 PM
1991 350 Chevy Blazer Wont Start
by Milerhighlifeman
12/19/14 12:31 PM
Longest (continuously running) IC engine?
by expat
12/19/14 12:09 PM
Run cycles
by MalfunctionProne
12/19/14 11:29 AM
Newest Members
SCFarmer, LumpOfCoal, carguymitch, longball, probmxstyle
52227 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (1bioguy, aa1986, 2oldtommy, 1foxracing, andrewp1998, 901Memphis, 6 invisible), 1456 Guests and 191 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
52227 Members
66 Forums
223658 Topics
3546439 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#3398904 - 06/16/14 12:32 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Boss302fan]
y_p_w Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

When you say any modern car, which years? After 1980, 1990, etc? Just curious what you think. I do know personally, I would not run E10 in anything before 1980's... Gasket issues, etc.

I was thinking anything since maybe the early 90s. Even when there were manufacturer's recommendations that E10 was OK, they might still have been working out some of the compatibility issues. But since then no vehicle should have issues with E10 if regularly driven.

#3399005 - 06/16/14 02:29 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: whizbyu]
Smokescreen Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
In anything other than a regularly run car, I run premium pure gas. I have proven to myself that the regular E10 loses its ability to burn that greater BTU potential fairly quickly as it ages. Once it starts degrading fuel economy is absolutely terrible as is the performance of the engine, backfiring hesitation and lower response. I know premium retains its BTU's longer and am willing to pay a little extra to have that.

For those cars that get driving regularly where the E10 can be fresh, they get the regular and I live with the less expensive but slightly decreased performance and the less BTU's it brings frown

All with mpg > EPA

#3399021 - 06/16/14 02:45 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: whizbyu]
SHOZ Offline

Loc: Illinois
A turbo with 22lbs of boost love the E10 and makes up for any loss in BTUs. drive

#3399069 - 06/16/14 03:53 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Smokescreen]
y_p_w Offline

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
For those cars that get driving regularly where the E10 can be fresh, they get the regular and I live with the less expensive but slightly decreased performance and the less BTU's it brings frown

Again, I understand the issue of fuel economy. I don't understand the claims that there will be decreased performance provided the fuel isn't degraded. A fuel-injected engine will account for the slightly lower energy density by using a slightly higher volume of fuel. I understand that carbs may have some issues, but in many cases tuners have increased the size of the jets and can actually produce more power compared to non-ethanol gasoline.

Anyone found a dyno test that verifies this claim that E10 reduces power?

#3399496 - 06/17/14 05:20 AM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: whizbyu]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
No blanket claims for increases or decreases with E10 because not all mfgrs use the same hardware or tuning in their engines.

This must be related to the specific vehicle or it is meaningless as not all vehicles can adjust themselves for ethanol content...
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3399590 - 06/17/14 08:19 AM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: whizbyu]
Clevy Offline

Loc: Saskatoon canada
I've seen cars running e-85 that made awesome power at the track,and they never overheated in the lanes running all day
HOWEVER
They had twin fuel pumps,1" fuel lines and drank alcohol faster than a sailor in port,so yes ethanol has high hp potential however they've gotta burn a ton of it to achieve that power.

#3399594 - 06/17/14 08:26 AM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: JustinH]
Benzadmiral Offline

Loc: Da Swamp
Originally Posted By: JustinH
I use e10 gas in everything. Have never had a fuel related problem, ever.

I use it in lawnmowers, cars, everything.

Pick a station that moves a lot of product, and buy your gas there. That has been my motto.

I usually go to costco on my way home from work, they are busy all the time.

At present I have two or three E0 stations in my area. If they stop selling the fuel, I might look into Costco. From what I can tell, I'd save a bit of money every year, since they sell gas at quite a reduction over other stations, more than enough to pay for the membership. And I have a Costco directly on my morning commute.

#3399622 - 06/17/14 09:02 AM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Benzadmiral]
y_p_w Offline

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Pick a station that moves a lot of product, and buy your gas there. That has been my motto.

At present I have two or three E0 stations in my area. If they stop selling the fuel, I might look into Costco. From what I can tell, I'd save a bit of money every year, since they sell gas at quite a reduction over other stations, more than enough to pay for the membership. And I have a Costco directly on my morning commute.

You might have to wait in line depending on the time of day; I've given up before. You'd also be limited to using American Express, a debit card with PIN, or their gift cards.

However, Costco operates them as a convenience for their members. There are rumors that they barely make any money off of their gas sales and are fine with it.

The real benefit is that they have better trained employees than most gas stations and there's always one out there available. I've talked to a few, and some even know stuff about cars, compared the kid working his way through college at a mini-mart. They have recent equipment and keep it better maintained than most. And the most important thing could be their extremely high turnover of their fuel, so there just isn't "old gas" in their tanks.

#3399679 - 06/17/14 10:44 AM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Benzadmiral]
Clevy Offline

Here the costco pumps use shell fuel from what I've seen because that's what's advertised on the sides of the tankers filling the underground tanks.

And no worries about stale gas. That place is always 6 cars back minimum on every pump. Their turnover rate is unreal.

#3399692 - 06/17/14 10:59 AM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: y_p_w]
Benzadmiral Offline

Loc: Da Swamp
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

You might have to wait in line depending on the time of day; I've given up before. You'd also be limited to using American Express, a debit card with PIN, or their gift cards. . . .

When I pass by the Costco, there's usually one or two cars at most. I get to work early. So I'd have to purchase a membership, then a gift card too, which I would have to put x amount of dollars on? They don't take cash?

#3399749 - 06/17/14 12:23 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Benzadmiral]
y_p_w Offline

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

You might have to wait in line depending on the time of day; I've given up before. You'd also be limited to using American Express, a debit card with PIN, or their gift cards. . . .

When I pass by the Costco, there's usually one or two cars at most. I get to work early. So I'd have to purchase a membership, then a gift card too, which I would have to put x amount of dollars on? They don't take cash?

If you know someone willing to buy "Costco Cash" cards on your behalf, you don't even need a membership to buy gas. My understanding is that you can even use them to shop inside a Costco. You flash the card and they let you in.

And no - Costco gas stations don't take cash. Everything is authorized via magnetic strip cards at the pump. I'll use my membership card followed by a debit card (and PIN). I mentioned an active Costco Cash card alone is enough to buy gas. I think they've gone this model because it keeps people from parking their cars at the pump while they handle a cash transaction.

#3399880 - 06/17/14 02:47 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Clevy]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've seen cars running e-85 that made awesome power at the track,and they never overheated in the lanes running all day
HOWEVER
They had twin fuel pumps,1" fuel lines and drank alcohol faster than a sailor in port,so yes ethanol has high hp potential however they've gotta burn a ton of it to achieve that power.

Exactly! Those huge pumps and giant lines are for the VOLUME they must have to make the big HP.

Anyone ever see the jets in an alky car?
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3399969 - 06/17/14 05:19 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Clevy]
Garak Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Here the costco pumps use shell fuel from what I've seen because that's what's advertised on the sides of the tankers filling the underground tanks.

I see our Costco station is pretty busy, too, and keeps the other retailers in the area honest on pricing. I haven't had the chance to fill there yet, given that its hours are similar to the Co-op's. Does one need a Costco membership for the Canadian Costco pumps?

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#3399978 - 06/17/14 05:27 PM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Garak]
Clevy Offline

Originally Posted By: Garak

I see our Costco station is pretty busy, too, and keeps the other retailers in the area honest on pricing. I haven't had the chance to fill there yet, given that its hours are similar to the Co-op's. Does one need a Costco membership for the Canadian Costco pumps?

Yep. Need a membership for Costco gas.

My cheque from co-op on my personal number was 300 bucks this year. Now that I'm driving the truck for the summer next year should be even better.
I haven't been riding because of my back. I'm going g to get this venture running tip top and ride it I think.
It's funny. My venture is an 82 and has 100hp. I had to spend 6k to get my 08 Harley to that power level.
And the venture will run on regular fuel

#3402734 - 06/21/14 04:52 AM Re: What is the TRUTH regarding ethanol free gasoline? [Re: Clevy]
TiredTrucker Offline

Loc: Kellogg, IA
HOWEVER

Depending on engine design. Take the 3.2L EBDI V6 engine that is in testing at GM and co-developed with Ricardo out of the UK. On E85, it generates the same HP and torque as the 6.6L Duramax Diesel and gets better economy than the Duramax. So I think maybe these folks have an edge over what someone may be doing at the track, but then the engines are developed for different applications. The 3.2L EBDI engine has been undergoing real world testing in 3500HD pickups at GM. I sure hope they get the R&D out of the way and start offering it as an option.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >