2014 Mazda first OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new CX5 is coming up on its first oil change @ 7500 miles. I will do the oil change myself and was wondering what 0w20 you would recommend for the 7500 miles, and why ? I know the Mazda/Toyota brand oil is great, but what would be your recommendation for an aftermarket alternative. My walmart carries the following in 0w/20 (all of them are about 25.00 for a 5 qt jug) : synpower, edge, pennzoil platinum (regular platinum not ultra), & mobil 1 afe. I will use a Mazda filter.

I drive 6 miles to work and back home 5 days a week, but do drive a lot on weekends. The car is the 2.0 skyactiv.

thanks.

There really isn't a relatively available aftermarket oil with the same viscosity characteristics as MGMO or TGMO. There's SynGard 0W-20 but you're not going to find that at Walmart.
If you're prepared to pay as much as $5/qt then I'd just go with TGMO which is that low with some dealerships.
And remember TGMO is now supplied in bulk to dealers so some members have negotiated some pretty decent discounts having a couple of 5 quart jugs filled with the bulk TGMO 0W-20.

And if you're just looking for a cheap API 0W-20, and frankly I consider most much the same, there are much better deals than what you've mentioned.
Another member to me he bought a 5qt jug of Valvoline SynPower 0W-20 for 12 bucks on Amazon delivered apparently.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Another member to me he bought a 5qt jug of Valvoline SynPower 0W-20 for 12 bucks on Amazon delivered apparently.

It was later said that the low price was due to the fact that they had rewards with Amazon or some sort of coupon. So the price wasn't $12 right off the bat.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
There really isn't a relatively available aftermarket oil with the same viscosity characteristics as MGMO or TGMO. There's SynGard 0W-20 but you're not going to find that at Walmart.
If you're prepared to pay as much as $5/qt then I'd just go with TGMO which is that low with some dealerships.
And remember TGMO is now supplied in bulk to dealers so some members have negotiated some pretty decent discounts having a couple of 5 quart jugs filled with the bulk TGMO 0W-20.

$5/qt for TGMO 0W20 synthetic is in Canada only, not South of the border. Local Toyota dealers in So Cal didn't want to sell for less than $7/qt even with 12-qt case, except 1 dealer about 50 miles away has it on sale once every 2-3 months for $6/qt (with coupon which hard to get) and limit to 5-6 quarts.

yeah, here toyota 0/20 is 7.08qt and mazda 0/20 is 8.60qt respectiviely.
roughly 10-20$ more expensive (per oci) than the others mentioned.

Yikes! Those prices are high...
You can get MGMO online at Rosenthal Arlington Mazda for $6.81, still probably doesn't help you with shipping though.
I've seen good prices online at oil changekits.com though they've raised prices as well recently.
If money is the driving factor then I guess that Walmart will probably have the best prices on Pennzoil, M1 and QSUD.
What's the cost for a synthetic oil change at your dealer? Do they use the MGMO as bulk oil?

We have used M1 0w20 AFE with great success in our Mazda 3 since its first oil change. These engines tend to shear oil a bit and its nice to have a little extra HT/HS protection.

All of those 0w20's available at WM are very good but I'd choose the Mobil 1 AFE over the rest...

went with the Pennzoil Platinum 0/20. It will be interesting to see if the gas mileage suffers. I was getting 30.3 mpg avg on the factory fill. Man it was an easy OC on this car, i really like the old school filter instead of the cartridge type.

Good choice on the oil !

Originally Posted By: wjli
i really like the old school filter instead of the cartridge type.

Its funny to think that the true "old school" filter is actually the cartridge.

went with the Pennzoil Platinum 0/20. It will be interesting to see if the gas mileage suffers. I was getting 30.3 mpg avg on the factory fill. Man it was an easy OC on this car, i really like the old school filter instead of the cartridge type.

Let us know how it goes. My 2.0 Skyactiv drank PP 0W20 like water but no consumption with any other oils so far.

.... and was wondering what 0w20 you would recommend for the 7500 miles, and why ? I know the Mazda/Toyota brand oil is great, ....... I will use a Mazda filter.

Mazda 0w-20 because its a synthetic, high VI, 600 ppm (high) moly. As it says on the bottle, the high moly helps during engine warm-up, as shown on page 20 of http://www.infineum.com/sitecollectiondocuments/notebooks/gf5/ResearchReport.pdf , the lower two lines are high-moly 20 weight oils.

Also, for better filtration, go with Fram CH6607, TG6607, or XG6607, all get over 95% efficiency, better than the OEM Mazda cellulose paper oil filters.

badtlc, how much did your car actually consume in the coarse of an oci ?

About 3/4 of a quart. Which is a lot compared to the zero from other oils I have used in it.

You will find M1 0-20 will perform very well in your Mazda. I have used 0-20 for several years now in my Duratech engines with outstanding results in both extreme heat and cold, all at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
just an update on the 0/20 PP in the 2014 CX5, 2.0 skyactiv.
i have about 2500 miles on it with zero consumption and the mpg average has been pegged at 31.4

That is good on the consumption. I didn't notice it on mine until 4-5k mile mark on the 7,500 mi OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back