2015 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really digging the new Fit design. Hated it when I seen it at the auto show, but now that I've been looking at it on the Honda site it's really starting to grow on me.

Those of you with Fits how do they do in the winter time and in the rain? Do you run snow tires in the winter?

I live in Ohio with a lot of hills, and we get a good deal of snow in the winter and rain in the summer. I currently drive a Honda Ridgeline, which I love by the way, but I may be looking for a new car just because of fuel prices. I just got a new job at a hospital almost double the distance of the one I currently work at so I kinda would like to get a little better mpg if possible.

I want to check out that new HR-V thats coming out this winter from Honda as well. Hopefully it will have the RT-4WD and then that may just be the perfect vehicle for me....

if you want honda fit discussion, headover to fitfreak.net which is the community user forum for the fit.

For the 2nd gen fit, a lot of people have been happy with snow tires in those areas requiring snows; or fitting near-snow tires (continental dws) for mixed areas.

Not enough time for feedback on the 3rd gen fit yet. But you are right that tires are going to play a big role for you.

It is still a relatively light small car, and not an SUV if height and clearances come into play; but it does have going for it front wheel drive car with heavy forward weight bias, so it will perform better then average.

For MPG though, it is better than many, but not in the top tier for the fuel sippers. However it is a highly useful car with it's space arrangement and that counts for a lot.

Last edited:
I'm in the fourth year of owning my 2010 Honda Fit.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with it after all this time.

I have moved so much junk with that car it is insane.

I just bought a BBQ, a 55" wide model, and the trunk swallowed it up in the shipping carton.

I could have fit two of those BBQs in the trunk.

It is a very useful car.

The only thing I don't like about it is the spark plugs are a bit tricky to change on it.

That is my ONLY complaint about the car.

I get 5L/100km on the higway with it, and 8L/100km in the city with some highway mixed in.

The AT model is very efficient for highway driving. You can get 40mpg with ease going quite fast.

If I really babied it on the highway, I can get over 45mpg with it.

It is a great Winter car, but you need quality Winter tires on it.

It is a great car, I plan on keeping mine as long as possible.

I'm going to wait and see how the new Fit fares in terms of reliability since it's supposedly being built in Mexico. I would only consider getting a car that's build in Mexico is the plant is entirely robotic

Not sure what double the distance means for you but a tiny car like the FIT cannot offer as comfortable as ride and interior as a slightly larger vehicle that offers nearly similar MPG except in city.

This is coming from a guy who has done some 1 hr commutes to work in another commuters FIT (2011). Not our favorite car to ride in (>30mins) even up front.

It may work perfectly but take for a longer test ride if possible.

A friend of mine who lives in Michigan has a Fit and puts snows on it during the winter and really likes it. He says it does as good or better than their Odyssey in the snow. His is a 5-speed model, and that may help some; it's a 1st generation car.

One thing I like about the new one is you can get a moonroof. I think the 1st and 2nd generation Fits were NOT available with a moonroof. After owning a few cars with them, including our two current ones, that's become a must-have feature for me personally.

Thanks guys. Yeah once my local Honda dealer gets one in I want to take a test ride. I'm also going to wait and try that HR-V as well. One thing I just seen which may be a deal breaker for me is that I just found out it has manual HVAC controls. I know I know its something very small, but I absolutely love that feature on my Ridgeline and one thing I absolutely love. Set it at 68 and I'm comfortable all the time. No now I'm hot now I'm cold, its just perfect.
I also want to check out the new Ridgeline if they do actually ever make one. I love having a small truck but I would like to get better MPG if possible.

My mom just got a 2013 Fit Sport and I borrowed it for a long road trip right after she got it. It has the larger alloy wheels with the low profile tires. It handled like it was on rails. I just didn't care much for how the transmission was constantly up and down-shifting when just trying to accelerate on a flat surface at a moderate (fuel saving) pace. It acted like it didn't know what to do unless I'd really give it some gas. It also did fine in the rain, but I haven't driven it in the snow. We averaged 37mpg on the trip (mostly highway at 70-75mph, A/C on) with a lot of hills and inconsistent traffic flow.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
My mom just got a 2013 Fit Sport and I borrowed it for a long road trip right after she got it. It has the larger alloy wheels with the low profile tires. It handled like it was on rails. I just didn't care much for how the transmission was constantly up and down-shifting when just trying to accelerate on a flat surface at a moderate (fuel saving) pace. It acted like it didn't know what to do unless I'd really give it some gas. It also did fine in the rain, but I haven't driven it in the snow. We averaged 37mpg on the trip (mostly highway at 70-75mph, A/C on) with a lot of hills and inconsistent traffic flow.

5 speed? I noticed they do some strange things

1st gear
Shift to 2nd gear
Lock torque converter in 2nd gear (feels like a shift up)
Unlocks torque converter in 2nd gear (feels like a shift down)
Shifts to 3rd gear
Locks torque converter in 3rd gear
then 4 and 5.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

5 speed? I noticed they do some strange things

1st gear
Shift to 2nd gear
Lock torque converter in 2nd gear (feels like a shift up)
Unlocks torque converter in 2nd gear (feels like a shift down)
Shifts to 3rd gear
Locks torque converter in 3rd gear
then 4 and 5.

Yep, 5-speed auto. Maybe it is just the torque converter. I'm used to Honda automatics just locking into overdrive after you get to the top gear. You're right though, it feels just like a shift-up after you get into 2nd or 3rd gear (I can't remember which, I don't drive that car much). I tell you what though, it's nice to have that extra gear on the highway.

Most modern autos do the exact same thing, but the smoothness varies hugely from platform to platform, sometimes even the same trans!

Just a programming thing.

OTOH, we love the Fit. It has to be one of the best econoboxes I have ever driven, fun and tossable yet super frugal.Our neighbors look like aliens from another dimension as 4 HUGE folks just jump into the Fit and motor off.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Most modern autos do the exact same thing, but the smoothness varies hugely from platform to platform, sometimes even the same trans!

Just a programming thing.

OTOH, we love the Fit. It has to be one of the best econoboxes I have ever driven, fun and tossable yet super frugal.Our neighbors look like aliens from another dimension as 4 HUGE folks just jump into the Fit and motor off.

I was blown away by the cargo room once you fold the seats down flat. We were able to fit 3-4 sleeping bags, a metal detector, backpack, cooler, another bag, a box, and many other things in the back with room to spare.

Yep, 5-speed auto. Maybe it is just the torque converter. I'm used to Honda automatics just locking into overdrive after you get to the top gear. You're right though, it feels just like a shift-up after you get into 2nd or 3rd gear (I can't remember which, I don't drive that car much). I tell you what though, it's nice to have that extra gear on the highway.

Yes...Honda's newer programming is a little more aggressive with the torque converter lockup. Not as aggressive as some other brands in my opinion (my Camry loved its torque converter clutch), but still more aggressive than they used to be.

Both of our vehicles ('08 CR-V and '05 MDX) will only hard-lock the torque converter in 5th gear. It makes for a very smooth and predictable trip up through 5th gear. My in-law's '11 CR-V will hard-lock its torque converter in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. It's a little more disjointed of an acceleration pattern because it feels like the transmission is shifting more often.

I prefer our earlier ones due to the more predictable nature. They drive how cars "should" drive in my opinion. That said, the '11 CR-V gets probably 10% better fuel economy, so there's a tangible trade-off.

We quite enjoy our 2009 Fit. It's like driving a road-legal go-kart. The only real flaw the car has is the 5-speed automatic is programmed to rev the engine to the stratosphere when just a little more acceleration is necessary. Hopefully the CVT will let the engine stay at lower revs when just a little acceleration is wanted.

My wife has done a 45 minute commute in hers through all sorts of weather. With a set of snow tires it passed many SUV's, as long as the road was somewhat plowed. Without snows, it was undrivable in the snow on the OEM tires.

Seeing how Honda's kept the interior usefulness, we just might end up getting a newer Fit in a few years. Well, if the HR-V doesn't tickle my wife's fancy.

I bumped this thread up to ask if anybody that was thinking of the 2015 Fit ever ended up purchasing one? If so....impressions?

I'm going to go test drive one in a few days. Girlfriend likes the utility and small size combination. I'll just be glad to rid myself of my Focus.

I considered one but ended up with a 14 Corolla . The gas mileage figures on the Corolla`s window sticker were better for a car the next size up and rear and front leg room were better along with a bigger engine and much lower rpm`s at every speed .Having said that I believe I would still be happy in a Fit. They should be pretty reliable and I like that hauling room of a hatchback . An acquaintance of mine had 2 30 gallon trash cans standing upright in the rear hatch on his 09 Fit.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I considered one but ended up with a 14 Corolla . The gas mileage figures on the Corolla`s window sticker were better for a car the next size up and rear and front leg room were better along with a bigger engine and much lower rpm`s at every speed .Having said that I believe I would still be happy in a Fit. They should be pretty reliable and I like that hauling room of a hatchback . An acquaintance of mine had 2 30 gallon trash cans standing upright in the rear hatch on his 09 Fit.

Great...thanks for a reply.

About the only negative thing I can gather about the new Fit is that the seat lacks comfort and/or lumbar support for some. I'll find out on the test drive.

I have a bad back and that COULD be a factor for me....but a simple lumbar pad you can buy for cars might be a solution. I've used one before for a Ford Ranger I had. Worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back