Does buying from Tire Rack make sense any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last number of sets of tires that we've bought, Tire Rack has not been able to be competitive. If not on base price, then considering shipping. This is with tax factored in.

Frankly Im fairly surprised.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The last number of sets of tires that we've bought, Tire Rack has not been able to be competitive. If not on base price, then considering shipping. This is with tax factored in.

Frankly Im fairly surprised.

Maybe the brick and motar guys just price match the online guys, to get the installation dollars? Compared to actual mechanical work, its got to be more profitable, as its much less than an hours work for a relatively cheap guy, but the shop takes in $100-150 to do a set. Any profit on the actual tire sale would be a bonus.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I remember years ago I crunched the numbers and figured that I was saving a reasonable amount buying from Tire Rack, even accounting for the shipping and higher costs of installation.

However, the shipping costs seem to be higher than I remember. A set of 4 used to ship for about $25. Now I'm getting a quote of $60. The prices also don't seem to low enough to offset the shipping (even if sales tax is accounted for), especially when lots of tire shops will price match. Add to that included road hazard warranties, lifetime rotations/balancing, etc from purchasing/installing at the same place.

I suppose buying something like a full mounted set might make sense. I thought they didn't charge extra for the mounting/balancing.

Shipping costs have gone beyond ridiculous. I recently shipped a football, not overnight or anything like that, just plain ol' ground, and it cost me $25...come on man!

Couple of weeks ago, bought two sets of tires from Discount Tire Direct. Cheaper then other online stores much much cheaper then local. Plus avoided sales tax.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It depends, I like buying their close out tires on the cheap and those low profile tiles like 255/40-18 are cheaper online than in store.

I probably won't buy Corolla tires there however.

I was looking for low profile tires for an Acura and I found that Ebay and Amazon has lower prices than Tirerack. People who haven't used Amazon a lot will be surprised at the things they sell nowadays, and many of the tires include free shipping.

I just bought a set of Perelli tires from tire rack. I didn't check Amazon, but discount tire didn't carry them, my local shop, who advertises the brand, said they couldn't get my size.

At times availability and convenience is a reason to mail order. I hate going to the local shop and have them trying to talk me into some Coopers when my research pointed elsewhere.

I don't buy a lot from Tire Rack, but when I do it's usually a combination of something being discontinued with an exceptional price, availability, EXCELLENT support, quick shipping and overall great experience. For example, these discontinued 16" alloys were just a couple bux more than stupid steelies and hubcabs - PLUS no one had any GOOD snow tires in stock and TR was lower than the guys who said "we can get them" - my winter car setup even before I installed my mudflaps:

winterWRX.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back