Autolite Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off the phone with Fram and found out some interesting things...
So the filter fitted to my car is rated for 5k or manufacturer interval (10k in my case). Extraguards are listed as compatible with my car, plain as day on the fram website, so if anything goes wrong, I'm covered apparently...

But how can a filter that Fram makes magically double its interval just because the manufacturer says so? Makes me think that these filters are designed to take a lot more abuse than rated, but propaganda and marketing have forced the company to tell otherwise.

Tell you guys what, if I hit 10k on this interval, I'll get a change done and cut the filter open to let you see what happened. Even I'm quite interested...

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Just got off the phone with Fram and found out some interesting things...
So the filter fitted to my car is rated for 5k or manufacturer interval (10k in my case). Extraguards are listed as compatible with my car, plain as day on the fram website, so if anything goes wrong, I'm covered apparently...

But how can a filter that Fram makes magically double its interval just because the manufacturer says so? Makes me think that these filters are designed to take a lot more abuse than rated, but propaganda and marketing have forced the company to tell otherwise.

Tell you guys what, if I hit 10k on this interval, I'll get a change done and cut the filter open to let you see what happened. Even I'm quite interested...

Good move on your part. Many here figure there is plenty of fudge room on these mileage recommendations and a lot of it is probably "good, better, best" kind of marketing as well. Otherwise how would you sell higher tier filters to the masses? (BITOG'ers don't count ha ha).

Looking forward to seeing that one cut open!

I probably would have spent a few bucks more and upgraded to the Tough Guard.

I dig what everyone says about all of these components should probably last. I just don't see the aversion to changing the conventional oil and base model, cheapest filter Fram sells filter after 5k. Seems like such cheap insurance. For everyone's information, it's not like I'm an every 3000 mi guy. I keep the oil in my GM vehicles as long as OLM tells me to. Usually around 7500k on my Silverado, 9500k on my Cruze. But these vehicles are using synthetic oil and filters that have been certified to last the full oci.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
To each their own, but after seeing the linked thread below, 'if' your A'lite is anything like the one shown, no way I'd run it 10k miles. In fact, I'd likely not run it much longer than ~3.5k miles, if that.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3341525/P1_and_an_Autolite_(Fram)

The linked Autolite appears to be a rebadged PH16, honestly probably about the ugliest orange can made. I doubt his vehicle uses that size though. The PH16 is actually the "spec" filter for my Jeep, and though I run quite a few Frams a PH16 has never touched it!
laugh.gif

Since I'm venturing into "uncharted territory" here, can anyone tell me if there's things I should look out for to make sure I don't kill my car? I don't mind testing boundaries, but I'd like to do it safely and knowledgeably.

Fram rep told me straight if it's listed for my car, it has to meet factory specs. Honestly I'm hard pressed to find the difference between the extra guard and tough guard. Yes the media mightbe slightly different, but cconstruction looks almost the same. I may call again tomorrow, and ask someone else to make sure he's not off his rocker

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Honestly I'm hard pressed to find the difference between the extra guard and tough guard. Yes the media might be slightly different, but construction looks almost the same.

Sure the construction is basically the same, but the TG has higher efficiency, a silicon ADBV, is rated for up to 10K miles and probably has more media area than the EG.

Link: Fram Filter Line-Up

In addition to what he said, it's true the TG does have more media area AND is a higher percentage blend of synthetic fibers (about 33%) for greater holding capacity of contaminants. Thus the factory 10k rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back