2013 Chevy Equinox, 2.4L, 6224mi, Mobil-1 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
70/30 Highway/City. No Make up oil. M1 5w30.
The first 3 UOAs were M1 5w30.
The fourth was M1 0w40.
The latest was M1 5w30

[img:center][/img]

Looks better, but these engines do seem to be hard on oil. Despite the "acceptable" TBN from Blackstone's perspective, the shearing and wear levels may suggest the oil has been in service a bit too long.

Don't what the OLM said, but I'd be tempted to shorten the interval to 5,000 miles or so and see how it does. The average Equinox owner/Blackstone customer may be doing just that, which could account for the differences between your results and the universal averages. Was this one of the GM models that required an OLM recalibration? If so, was it done to your car?

I changed it out when the OLM was at 20%. I asked the dealer about the OLM recalibration but they checked my VIN and said it did not get the recalibration. I'd say the OLM reaches ZERO right around ~7,300 miles.
I am all done with my M1 Xw-30 stash after this recent change. I will use a synthetic 40 weight from here on out and see what it yields.

Yes, the Ecotec looks like it's tough on oil. Shears a middleweight 30 to a 20 consistently, and sheared a light 40 to a middleweight 30.

Did you notice a difference in fuel economy on the 0w40? Maybe go back to that if the fuel economy doesn't take a big hit.

I would be tempted to go back to M1 0w40..fuel dilution and oil shear will kill this engine, literally. A guy has lots one of these already to fuel dilution, thankfully replaced under warranty.

I think hes referring to folks noticing that M1 has higher iron- compared to say Penn Platinum which will drop in iron when they switch.

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
I think hes referring to folks noticing that M1 has higher iron- compared to say Penn Platinum which will drop in iron when they switch.

I have noticed Nissan has that issue as well. However never affects the life of their engines. FE PPM in this range mean noting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back