Cheap oil changes for the next 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the last of the Rotella when I changed the oil in the Triumph Spitfire this last weekend, so went shopping to get a supply on hand.

I found a 5 gal Bucket of Mobil 1300 Delvac 15w-40 for $55 at Canadian Tire and 5 Bosch oil filters on clearance at Walmart for $2 each.

That's a good deal!
$2.75/qt for Delvac oil and $2 filters. Can't go wrong there my friend!

smile.gif

CB

Last edited:
Have you considered cutting the thick 15W-40 with some inexpensive 5W-20 for better fuel efficiency?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Have you considered cutting the thick 15W-40 with some inexpensive 5W-20 for better fuel efficiency?

I might consider this.
The engine was originally specked for 20w-50 and some owners frown at my using 15w-40.

The car is only used in warm weather these days, so I don't feel too bad using heavy oil.

The car is fitted with pressure and oil temp guages. BTW

I always found it amazing that those little engines required such a heavy oil. Even in the day, a 10W30 could be had. It makes me wonder too, how would the engine run on a 5W30 or 10W30? Would there be any leaks/blowby? Hmmm!

Good question, and one that (for me ) has never really been answered.

I remember when coming to North America 70's I was amazed that the cars were running 10w-30. Normal oil in the UK at that time was 20w-50.
At the time I put it down to Americans not stressing their engines
(unlike the UK where people would drive a 1300cc car at 5k rpm for hours straight) and that the oil might be speced for the lowest possible temperatures (it gets far colder in North Dakota in winter than anywhere in the UK)

Also consider, my engine did not (originally) have valve seals, and some parts of the lubrication system, like that to the valve rockers, is down-right strange!

I guess I could run some 5w-20 in it, and see what happens, but I'd rather not.

I have to admit, even after being on this site for some years, at heart, I'm still a Thick Oil person.
If you hooked me up to a Polygraph when I pour 5w-20 into our Matrix, I bet you would detect a rise in my stress levels. ;-)

That's funny!
laugh.gif

I understand more now! Many things that I didn't think about. The different driving style that our American roads allow(cruising rather than redlining) and the lack of valve seals(I didn't know!)
smirk.gif

I have a good friend over in the UK! When he came to the U.S. for the first time over 30 years ago, he finaly understood why we drive so slow an why are cars are SO BIG! Our roads are built for this. Then we took him out to the South West U.S. and we all saw the long roads with nothing but desert on both side. First time I ever saw wild horses.

High speed driving was waiting for us along with a good cooling system with a thicker oil than what we us in the North East, as the temps were 120 deg's F. All we really needed was the right car
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back