advice and precautions for replacing one lifter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one noisy lifter in my saturn it's gotten better but sometimes I can start it and it'll tick for a few minutes it eventually gets quiet but if you listen closely you can still hear it. I just want to replace the one is that ok ? And any precautions I should take ? Thanks guys it's a soch 1.9 by the way

How do you know its the lifter? It could be the cam rocker or anything.I don't admit to knowing that engine very well. I would pour half a can of chemtool in it before the next oil change and run the [censored] out of it for 50 miles.

I dont know that you truly know which lifter it is. IMO youll need to replace a bunch in the general area where you think the noise is coming from, unless one is somehow obvious.

The cams can be very brittle. So you need to mark their position, and then start to loosen the bearing caps 1/4 turn or less each one, before going back again and again. Very tedious. Probably smart to use 1/4" drive just for lightness and agility.

Id change oil afterwards as well.

What problem are you trying to solve?

My valve train in my echo got noisy and I looked into a valve adjustment; about 30K later the noise(s) were gone.

You can hear one lifter not doing its job perfectly. I don't have to remove the cams to replace lifters just rocker shafts. And I know it's a lifter because I took 2 out where the noise was coming from and cleaned them and after that they took some time to prime back up and function correctly.

So if you took two out and cleaned them, why didnt you just replace them then? And why are you asking, seems you have the history on how to do it!

Because they are 35 bucks a piece and cleaning them was a good first option as it's free to do so. It's not hard to take back apart so I'm not worried about that but the new lifter will be on a worn in cam lobe.....anything I should do special for this or just dip it in oil install it and be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back