When my stash of PF35L's runs out, what should I get? Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
I have been thinking either more PF35L's or Wix 51061. I also know that ACDelco makes a version with an ADBV, the PF1218, and Wix makes two with ADBV's, the 51060 and the 51620 (which Wix says is a "high-performance, high-pressure" version of the 51060).

This goes on my '76 C20 with a 350 that has a plugged bypass in the filter adapter.

What do you recommend (filter-wise, not unplugging the bypass
smile.gif
) ?

I hope Pete C. and/or Herfnerd from Wix will chime in.
worshippy.gif

Sorry Dude. Unplug the bypass. The rest of your lube system was not designed to use filters with bypass valves.

Pete, I'm not asking for a filter with a built-in bypass. My F250 has one of those. I'm wondering what the differences are between the above-listed filters (especially the 51620). What does "high-performance, high-pressure" mean, especially the "high performance" part?

I'm taking full responsibility for my engine and its plugged bypass; I simply want to know what the differences between these filters are, especially given some of your past posts where you have indicated that all filters exceed the maximum possible flow of stock oil pumps of the engines for which they are intended.

I use Wix 51773's on my F250, and I am very impressed with the construction quality of these filters and their apparent flow, and this is why I am considering using Wix's on my C20 when I run out of PF35L's.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the "Racing" section... ?

Are you sure the 51060 that you are looking at didn't have a "R" at the end (51060R)?

The "R" signifies a filter for "RACING ONLY" applications.

Part Number: 51060R
UPC Number: 765809129269
Principal Application: Racing Applications Only
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.170
Outer Diameter Top: 3.600
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 13/16-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

Part Number: 51060
UPC Number: 765809510609
Principal Application: Chevrolet/GMC Trucks (91-05), Hummer (93-05)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 13/16-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

And like I've said before...

YOU PUT A RACING FILTER ON A STREET USE VEHICLE AND ALL WARRANTIES ARE NULL AND VOID!!!!

The 51620 that you were looking at is a warranty compliant version. For folks that change the lube system to higher flow higher flow/pressure systems or extreme duty (taxis, police etc) vehicles.

[ June 27, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Pete C. ]

quote:

YOU PUT A RACING FILTER ON A STREET USE VEHICLE AND ALL WARRANTIES ARE NULL AND VOID!!!!

Well, what's the difference? Low Beta#/very pourous media ..reinforced media ...just a heavy can ...rebadged HP version of a Fram
tongue.gif
?? Just what distinguishes a xxxyyyzzz"R" from a xxxyyyzzz??
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
Are you sure the 51060 that you are looking at didn't have a "R" at the end (51060R)?

I did see that one, but after you said they aren't at all for street use, I stopped looking at it.

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
The 51620 that you were looking at is a warranty compliant version. For folks that change the lube system to higher flow higher flow/pressure systems or extreme duty (taxis, police etc) vehicles.

This is exactly what I wanted to know!
smile.gif
I think this filter (the 51620) is just perfect for my needs. Thank you so much for your help, Pete!
cheers.gif

Oh yes... I am also interested in seeing your response to Gary's questions (above).

Go with the K&N HP3002. This is what I ran on my 95 Formula. I used to run the PF35L on my 95 Trans Am, but the K&N is the better filter for performance applications.

I wish my Corvette used a huge filter like the PF35L though! It uses a filter that is probably 1/4 the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back