Installed new Spark Plugs (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed new NGK OEM Honda spark plugs today on my 1990 Honda CRX Si today (original 283,679 kms)
Last ones were done exactly 20,000 km ago in 2012.
I noticed that they have slight oil on them (using 5w30 synthetic oil) (newer valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets) and alot of carbon and the copper center electrode is unevenly worn.

see pics

Is this normal wear ?

DSCF2646.jpg

DSCF2647.jpg

DSCF2648.jpg

DSCF2652.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris142
looks like more than 20k on them.did you install them yourself or did a shop forget to install them?

Installed myself..

I have all records since day 1 for my car (in word document as well)

They look like coppers with 30k miles on them.

Whenever I removed my spark plugs from my D16A6 and D15B7 they looked worse than what they should have.

FWIW I got better results with Autolite platinums.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
They look like coppers with 30k miles on them.

Yes OEM BCPR6E-11 plugs.

Hi 20,000 kilometers, not miles !

valve cover and spark plug gaskets replaced a few years ago.
Its only 1 plug with oil on it.. could it be the o ring seal on the distributor ?
or o rings on head see link

orings.jpg

NGK laser iridium are the best I've found for a Honda. Even did great in my mustang. But I am intrigued about the laser igniters that are supposed to be taking place of spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
NGK laser iridium are the best I've found for a Honda. Even did great in my mustang. But I am intrigued about the laser igniters that are supposed to be taking place of spark plugs.

25 year old honda is different than todays Honda.
Copper is best on the older Hondas !

Originally Posted By: Robb.
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21

25 year old honda is different than todays Honda.
Copper is best on the older Hondas !

Why copper?

copper is the best conductor
Platinum just lasts longer

Copper is better for performance but you will need to change them very frequently, perhaps every 10k. Here are some of the thermal conductivities of some commonly used metals (Watts / centimeter). As you can see, copper is untouchable. Iridium gives you the best trade-off between performance and lifespan.

Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47

Why do you think house wiring is copper ?

I'd run the G power single platinum NGK plugs if that's what happened to them in 12.5k miles.

They don't cost much more, and will last, and are gapped out of the box. The oil looks like you'll have to do the head o'rings, which requires removing the rockers IIRC.

NGK # BCPR6EGP is what I'd use next time around.
Rockauto has them for $2.50 each

Wow.

Copper is better for performance but you will need to change them very frequently, perhaps every 10k. Here are some of the thermal conductivities of some commonly used metals (Watts / centimeter). As you can see, copper is untouchable. Iridium gives you the best trade-off between performance and lifespan.

Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47

Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47

Do you have any proof that copper plugs give better performance?

Copper is used in electrical wiring because it is a good conductor and mainly it is cheap,

Copper is never used for a spark plug electrode. It's nickel alloy for standard plugs. However, copper core is used inside the plug for better thermal (not electrical) conductivity, whether it's standard or platinum/iridium. There is already a 5 kilo-ohm resistor in series inside because without it your spark plug would act like a radio transmitter; so, electrical conductivity is not important.

http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/basic_knowledge/construction/index.html

Condition of the plugs look OK except that the threads should normally be clean. They are black; so, it looks like there is some combustion problem. Perhaps your engine floods often?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Do you have any proof that copper plugs give better performance?

Copper is used in electrical wiring because it is a good conductor and mainly it is cheap,

Depends on the car. My old Volvo turbo ran best with copper plugs, it ran poorly on platinum plugs, so I went back to copper, but understand that copper plugs are copper core - not electrode. Copper electrodes wouldn't be able to take the heat. Iridium (and platinum) have very high melting points - so they last longer as electrode material...increasing maintenance intervals over the conventional steel tip on copper plugs. Silver has a very low melting point, so...not a good choice in this application.

More here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2583605

Robb - those plugs look pretty tired for only 20K KMs...I would start changing them at 15K KMs...normal, but tired looking plugs.

Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47

What is the in the core of Platinums and Iridiums?

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

Originally Posted By: Trav

Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47

What is the in the core of Platinums and Iridiums?

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

Similar false terminology as with "resistor" spark plugs. While virtually all spark plugs have the crucial 5 kilo-ohm resistor inside to suppress the RF radiation, "resistor plug" is widely and mistakenly used to distinguish standard plugs from platinum and iridium plugs.

Same with copper -- they all have copper inside for thermal conductivity and no spark plug has copper electrodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back