How thick is too thick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now who's being selective?
I stand by what I've said.
Obviously the 5W-30 Ford originally specified back in 1999 or so provided sufficient viscosity reserves for all expected uses. God knows what bulk 5W-30 was being used by some taxi fleets or other abusive practices like low oil levels, neglected oil changes etc contributed to the problem.

If the OP (or anyone for that matter) suspects the grade they are running may be too light for the way they operate their car, have the oil pressure checked. It's an easily performed test and then you'll know just how much viscosity reserve you've got.
The last thing one wants to do is make a fear based choice because someone or some group had a problem operating under conditions totally dissimilar to yours.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Nothing to do with your lifter issue but since Ford has spec'd 5W-30 for your engine you don't need to run anything heavier.

I'm absolutely shocked that you have a selective reading comprehension problem regarding thick oil. [/sarcasm]

Here, let me help you out:

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Basically when my car (AU falcon) was first released in 1999, ford recommended 5w30 to get better fuel economy, but not long after taxis were reporting engine problems and excessive wear as they stacked on the miles. (Previous model had same engine but specified 15w40 and none of those engines had these new problems)
Ford quickly sent out a memo recommending 10w30 or 10w40 to overcome these problems.

Suddenly an expert on Australian Ford engines are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back