Would you buy a brand new 22 year old car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard stories that the car companies are still exporting cars with carburetors to some parts of the world like South America.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I'm not so sure of that: Overall maintenance is much less today. So, you would have an extra 200 bucks or so per year (inflation adjusted again) that you aren't paying for maintenance on the new car before you got to that intractable electronic repair 11 or 12 years out.

In the 80s a person would junk their beater over rust or a bad clutch. Something convincing, that's slightly predictable, and the driver has time to emotionally prepare to trade up.

These darn new cars are assembled with low lead solder that cracks under vibration leading to sudden failure, and, if truly evil, will give something that works on-again, off-again.

If the failure lets the car run fine but illuminates a bunch of warning lights, and the car fails a mandatory inspection because of this, the driver is likely to be less happy with the experience than he would be with a simple "it wore out" failure.

Cars will always be run until something annoyingly expensive does them in. And they are running somewhat longer-- maybe because that annoying expense threshold is rising with the cost of replacement cars.

I would like to have a new 1992 Chevy C short bed, regular cab pickup, but the truck I have now has the basically the same engine (4.3) and tranny (pretty sure they had the 4 speed auto then). The new trucks have the nicer features standard like power windows, locks, mirrors, remote keyless entry, nice radio, air bags, etc. But there's something to be said about simplicity. Me likes it!

Good car, better half had a 91. 1.6 liter, dual overhead cam, multi port fuel injected, 110 HP. Light small car that was fun to drive. The Nissan engine and tranny were bullet proof.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If the question is: Would you be satisfied with 1992 technology in today's new car,

Me,absolutely!! I detest all the nanny gadgets in today`s cars. What I love about my car,it has no bells,whistles,or gimmicks. Manual tranny,engine,and t-tops. All I need
cheers3.gif

Even my Focus is really 1992 tech anyways, which is fine with me. What does a new Focus offer in functionality? Not much except for better crash ratings, and a bit better mileage.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
If the question is: Would you be satisfied with 1992 technology in today's new car,

Me,absolutely!! I detest all the nanny gadgets in today`s cars. What I love about my car,it has no bells,whistles,or gimmicks. Manual tranny,engine,and t-tops. All I need
cheers3.gif

Even my Focus is really 1992 tech anyways, which is fine with me. What does a new Focus offer in functionality? Not much except for better crash ratings, and a bit better mileage.

And a lot more complications down the road.

My '11 Focus is pretty simple for what it is. No variable valve timing, port injection, manual transmission. Wouldn't mind a throttle cable, though.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Some of the best cars (in my opinion) were made in the 90s.

I totally agree!!

I wouldn't want THAT 22 year old car, but something else, yes. Heck...my 1995 Dak is, aside from an airbag, 4-wheel ABS, and R-134a A/C, the same as a 1992.

No way would I want that car as new or any other econobox for that matter. New "stripper cars" are infinitely better more reliable and just as cheap to run. Fixing them is also not that difficult.

The one I would get, if I could, would be a Mercedes W123 preferably a turbo diesel with manual tranny and a wagon.

cheers3.gif

My Ranger has manual windows and I love them. My Wife loves them too. When She gets in and is waiting for me to get in the other side on a hot day She doesn't have to wait to get the window rolled down. And why you ask does She have to wait? Because it has manual door locks too.

Having a 22 year old car does not mean freedom from complex extra gadgetry. Just think of how many Cadillac models were loaded with extras, and even some Olds and Buick models. Ever have to deal with the late 80s to early 90s Buick Reatta touch screen?

Many other premium cars had extra electronics as well. Many had a complex A/C and heating system with a digital display... That would often have the numbers fade away after about 10 years.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
No way would I want that car as new or any other econobox for that matter. New "stripper cars" are infinitely better more reliable and just as cheap to run. Fixing them is also not that difficult.

The one I would get, if I could, would be a Mercedes W123 preferably a turbo diesel with manual tranny and a wagon.

black-smoke-racing-diesel-merc-drift-wagon_zpsa617dee5.jpg

A little toned down version of this would be a great family car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back