Who makes Toyota Synthetic 0 W 20???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not use Mobil 1 in-between the free 24,000 mile Toyota Care (10K & 20 LOF) while the engine is breaking in?

Yes, TGMO 0w20 is manufactured by Exxon Mobil, but its a much different oil than M1 0w20. Both are great oils, but in everyday driving I think TGMO has the edge. Thats what I would use.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yes, TGMO 0w20 is manufactured by Exxon Mobil, but its a much different oil than M1 0w20. Both are great oils, but in everyday driving I think TGMO has the edge. Thats what I would use.

I'm not badgering but asking to learn something. Can you explain? What edge does it have over M1 0-20?

Check with the dealer for a case price on the Toyota oil.

TGMO is in the same price ballpark as M1 at Walmart, give or take a couple of bucks.

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
I have searched for some time and cannot get a straight answer....I know someone has it!!

How will knowing the answer help you if the oil is made to a certain OEM specification for use in certain conditions by certain vehicles.

What is the agenda here ?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Exxon Mobil makes the current US version IIRC. Idemitsu made the previous version.

Yes XOM makes the current version of TGMO for the North American market but it was Nippon Oil that made the original version and I think they still due in for some markets like Asia and Australia.

Idemitsu makes the 0W-20's for Cdn Honda/Acura, Subaru, Mazda USA and Mitsubishi.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Exxon Mobil makes the current US version IIRC. Idemitsu made the previous version.

Yes XOM makes the current version of TGMO for the North American market but it was Nippon Oil that made the original version and I think they still due in for some markets like Asia and Australia.

Idemitsu makes the 0W-20's for Cdn Honda/Acura, Subaru, Mazda USA and Mitsubishi.

Thanks for the clarification
thumbsup2.gif

Hey Caterham. I haven't been around for a while. Based in part on your promotion of VI and TGMO, I stocked up a couple of cases of SM and then SN. I've done UOAs on the SM which has the wonderfully high loading of moly. I've proven to myself that SM TGMO is clearly superior to Honda Genuine Full Syn SN in a 2011 Accord V6 VCM. I'm using the TGMO SN in my 2012 Sienna V6 with factory recommended 10,000 OCIs. I haven't tested this one because the oil looks nearly new after 10K.

Anyway, is there anything new with TGMO? There was discussion that the SN XOM version had lower moly loadings because it had a newer, more efficient "tri-nuclear" moly. Has that been proven or confirmed? The old SM was/is a heck of a good oil. Do you believe SN is as good? I'm not so sure.

Hi Indydriver.
If anything the viscosity characteristics of the latest SN TGMO appear to be possibly even better with exceptional shear stability.
The phos' level may also be somewhat higher.

The moly level as you mentioned is lower and whether they are using the tri-nuclear type I don't know and even if they are whether it is "better" than 5 times the level of what another company is using (MGMO), again I don't know.
Anyway, at 125 ppm, TGMO still have a decent amount of moly whatever type it is.

On balance I think SN TGMO SN is second by a slim margin only to the more expensive Sustina in a high VI 0W-20.

it was Nippon Oil that made the original version and I think they still due in for some markets like Asia and Australia.

IMG_06981.jpg

So the made in Japan one that we get here is Nippon, and the one that sheared badly in your test ?

(Not starting something, just clarifying what we get here, and why our Prius' might be different to those in the US)

Of course you're trying to "start ...something" with strawman remarks like "sheared badly" which is your conclusion not mine,
and that's going back to 2009. Even the latter XOM made TGMO has evolved since it was first introduced. That said, I just used the last of the Nippon Oil made TGMO I had in my BMW and if I could get more I would use it without hesitation for it's high additive levels.
And btw, the Sustina 0W-20 is lighter at operating temp's than the sheared Nippon made TGMO.

And why would you think the Prius imported into OZ and other parts of the world would be any different than what we get considering TGMO 0W-20 is what is spec'd for it?

OK then, sheared out of grade (HTHS in 150 miles according to the testing that I read)...actually, I was just after confirmation that the Oz one is the Nippon oil...I might need some for my mower.

Given that the oil was "expressly designed" for the Prius, and they are two completely different oils, I just thought that the cars must be different

CATERHAM;

Do you still hold to the claim that the SN, XOM made TGMO cannot possibly have the Sustina beating, 236 VI which others claim, and one oil analysis company has tested it at??

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: gregk24

I'm not badgering but asking to learn something. Can you explain? What edge does it have over M1 0-20?

Well in everyday driving it will be lighter at all start up temps vs the M1, does that make a difference in longevity? Idk, but its a plus for sure. I like the fact that it has a lot more calcium than M1, again does that make a real world difference, no one could tell you. I also like the fact that it might have the Trimer Infinium Moly (that is the general consensus of some on here) most likely M1 also has this type of moly, even if they both do...TGMO has more. I take all of these as advantages, again, weather or not it will make a difference in the long run, no one could tell you. I am also impressed with the TBN retention of TGMO. I did 5 months of short trips (and I mean less than 1 mile trips, multiple times a day...during the winter) in my Accord, and the TBN went from 6.? to 4.1, that in my eyes is nothing short of excellent. I know 5 months is not THAT long, but thats 5 months of short trips. So thats why I think TGMO has the edge over M1. Use either, your car will probably rust out before the engine gives because you used 1 over the other, but hey this is BITOG we obsess about this stuff =P

Theoretical discussions aside, my 1985 Corolla runs great on TGMO 0W-20 SN -- better than on any oil I used. I haven't tried M1 AFE or M1 EP 0W-20 SN, but I have no intention of messing with any other oil when the engine runs so great. I honestly don't think I would get the same performance with M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back