Removed factory fuel pump today---shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
That is because the kool-aid drinkers around here think that because the gov't helped to save the company it automatically makes it a bad company, most of those same people fall all over themselves praising Ford because they didn't take a gov't bailout, yet they do not know that the gov't loaned them a ton of money preceding the GM issue.

The fact is that the current company is making really good products, that are as good as or better than the competition.

Yeah, it must be the bailout, because it certainly couldn't be the problems they ignored or covered up.

BTW, a conspiracy nutjob such as yourself calling others kool-aid drinkers is the height of irony.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
[
Never ceases to amaze me as I typically only drive GM stuff and have not had a 1/4 of the problems people on here complain about. No electrical stuff, and aside from the LIM gaskets problems on the 3800 no big issues unless I blew up a transmission myself.
I might add when I had my 98 Z28 I broke the rear end on a hard launch at the track. Car was taken to the local Chevy dealer on a flat bed with the dial still on the windshield, my Car Club Challenge number still all over it, and rubber all over the wheel wells. Service writer asked "Tough day at the track?" Me "Yes indeed". Covered the complete repair under factory warranty, didn't have to but they did.
But such is the status at BITOG. I stay out of the threads about Honda, Nissan, Toyota etc etc. Don't like bashing. I will however speak up about TDI's and the service I received from VW, which is not always the same for others.

A well reasoned post from a straight up guy without an agenda.

Stealerships have EARNED the title. Across over 40 years of personal driving and fleet ownership I can attest that actual vehicle problems are quite few and the Dealer could easily fix most of them quickly and have far more happy clients.

They just don't.

Not all of them are bad, but in my area it can be quite difficult to finda decent one...

Never ceases to amaze me as I typically only drive GM stuff and have not had a 1/4 of the problems people on here complain about. No electrical stuff, and aside from the LIM gaskets problems on the 3800 no big issues unless I blew up a transmission myself.
I might add when I had my 98 Z28 I broke the rear end on a hard launch at the track. Car was taken to the local Chevy dealer on a flat bed with the dial still on the windshield, my Car Club Challenge number still all over it, and rubber all over the wheel wells. Service writer asked "Tough day at the track?" Me "Yes indeed". Covered the complete repair under factory warranty, didn't have to but they did.
But such is the status at BITOG. I stay out of the threads about Honda, Nissan, Toyota etc etc. Don't like bashing. I will however speak up about TDI's and the service I received from VW, which is not always the same for others.

This surprises me that they'd repair under warranty a car sold as a passenger daily driver that had been used for tracking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: wag123
Was your Silverado a Mexican built truck (the first digit of the VIN will be a 3)?

No. First digit is a 2.

Didn't have time to read all the posts, and sorry if this has been mentioned, but your truck was assembled in Canada. Has the truck been ok other than that? I've had very good service from GM and Chrysler products.

Not sure why, they have always treated me well, good dealership and buy my GM stuff from them. I bought my 96 Z28 from them my 98 Z28 and my 01 Z28 from them as well. They are not stupid, they know when a Z28 leaves the lot it is going to be driven a lot different then say a run of the mill Impala or Camary yet they still warranty it. Lot depends on the dealership and how well you treat EACH other.

I never could say anything bad mechanically about the GM cars I've own. Heck Saturn's were the best.

The only reason I worried about my past Envoy was the electrical issues I started to hear about. Of course that doesn't mean I would have had said issues but fear is a powerful motivator.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I love how everyone jumps on GM when it most likely was a dealer that left the rag.

On another thread a Honda blows its motor and its cool because Honda is covering it....yet it shouldn't have popped in the first place...

That is because the kool-aid drinkers around here think that because the gov't helped to save the company it automatically makes it a bad company, most of those same people fall all over themselves praising Ford because they didn't take a gov't bailout, yet they do not know that the gov't loaned them a ton of money preceding the GM issue.

The fact is that the current company is making really good products, that are as good as or better than the competition.

No, it's because I have way too much experience with the GARBAGE that GM foisted upon the public for 20+ years! The 1982-2002 F-cars all getting the dreadful Vega-refugee 7.625" toothpick rear axle (weaker than what Dodge put in a 4-banger Dakota!) is one of the things that qualifies as such.

Originally Posted By: mmavet
If you removed the box,it's the only wire that connects near the filler tube.

Cleaned that off (removed, de-greased frame, sanded frame and wire eyelet). It was pretty gunky. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: wag123
Was your Silverado a Mexican built truck (the first digit of the VIN will be a 3)?

No. First digit is a 2.

Didn't have time to read all the posts, and sorry if this has been mentioned, but your truck was assembled in Canada. Has the truck been ok other than that? I've had very good service from GM and Chrysler products.

This truck IMO had way too many issues. Some of the parts replaced or repaired under warranty include: Power steering rack, driveshaft, fuel pump (yes, as it turns out it was changed by the dealer), emmisions canister, 2 fuel injectors, several 1/4 windows, radio and more. I attribute none of this to assembly issues. I have had other vehicles (different brands) that had zero warranty issues.

Last edited:
Not sure why, they have always treated me well, good dealership and buy my GM stuff from them. I bought my 96 Z28 from them my 98 Z28 and my 01 Z28 from them as well. They are not stupid, they know when a Z28 leaves the lot it is going to be driven a lot different then say a run of the mill Impala or Camary yet they still warranty it. Lot depends on the dealership and how well you treat EACH other.

I agree, however, here in the So. Cal rat-race, the attitudes are different than other parts of the country. Many people don't care about anything other than getting those dollars in their pocket. Finding a good dealership is very difficult. Fortunately, other than warranty work, I do all my own repairs and maintenance, with a little help now and then from this forum and some trusted friends.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
So hows the truck running now?

The truck does pull a littler harder up long grades (empty), nothing too dramatic though. The real test will be next time I'm moderately loaded or tow a trailer up a long grade. Prior to FP change every time I would tow a trailer (14' flatbed with dirt bikes) up a long grade the check engine light would come on and it would go into limp home mode. And I mean every time. I sold the desert toys, so I rarely tow anything anymore, so it may be a while, but for now it is running good.

So now I have been driving it for about three weeks as my DD. It definitely runs better, pulls harder, and when it shifts it continues to pull hard. It used to bog a little when it shifted in the upper gears when I was getting on it, and occasionally even unloaded it would shut down and go into limp mode...no more, it's fun to drive again. Now I am thinking I probably didn't need to change out the 3.73, and put in 4.56 like I did because it had become such a dog, I just needed to get the rag off the fuel pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back