MMO first timer. How many miles should I run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like MMO and it does work, albeit slowly which is a good thing anyway. I'd rather slowly dissolve crud than break chunks loose.

I have used it off and on in my crudded up Jeep and it does indeed clean and usually makes the engine quieter as well.

MMO doesn't recommend it's use for OCI's longer than 3k, but many have run it longer than that without issue.

I don't think naphthenic solvents like MMO are necessary, just use quality high detergent API SL+ oils and keep an eye on how the filters are handlingthe oci if you can cut them open.

I've used MMO enough outside of automotive use to know it does break loose mild grease and dirt, thereby a mild cleaner. Very good at preventing outside oxidization on carburetors I have sitting for months at a time for customers as well.

I used this in my slant 6 when I first purchased. I poured half a quart in at the beginning of change, and the rest during the last 100 miles of solid driving.
I drained as soon as I came home. Followed with 10w-40 from then on.

I occasionally use this in my gas tank, I cannot verify the cleaning abilities for the valves myself, but my engineering instructor got me using the stuff.

He is a pilot and said they go through engines on a regular basis, and the pilots running MMO have much less carbon and deposits. Does this help the life? You be the judge.

Another use I like is for vehicles (carbureted) that have sat months/years at a time, is a plastic water bottle filled with gasoline, add a cap full of 2 stroke oil and 2 caps of MMO. Fill the carburetor bowl with the mixture. Helps lubricate the top end which is guaranteed to be bone dry otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back