Sardine Sammich

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a kid, sometimes my dad would get us some sardines, usually when Mom wasn't home. Lately, I have returned to the lowly sardine as a low-cost, low-fat, high protein, and tasty food source. The sardines packed in water, mustard sauce, or tomato sauce usually don't have any added oil, so that's what I use. Here's my recipe for a tasty sandwich:

-Your choice of bread
-Thin film of mayonnaise
-Mustard
-Ketchup
-Sriracha
-Onion salt
-Black pepper
-Horseradish

All items to taste. Obviously most of these ingredients can be overpowering, so some moderation is called for. The combination of ketchup, sriracha, and horseradish makes a nice cocktail-sauce substitute. Also works well with kipper snacks.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
+1 for sardines
-1 for bread unless you make your own

since you are in IL, look for the polish or ukrainin/russian grocery stores. the bread is more close to home made. or pretty consistent.
and you can find some tasty sardines/fish.....

Originally Posted By: Ndx
+1 for sardines
-1 for bread unless you make your own

Homemade bread makes anything better! But I'm going for quick and easy, so I use off-the-shelf bread.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
and you can find some tasty sardines/fish.....

Yup, or sprats instead of sardines. I actually find the smoked sprats more tasty. They do tend to stink up the house though - my wife leaves whenever I open a can.
smile.gif

King Oscar Brislings

Are my hands down favorites.

Lovely small things in Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Sometimes when I'm on my own I just serve them as is with Boiled Baby White Potatoes, Dill and Steamed Green Beans.

Great Summer Meal.

I've been enjoying Crown Prince sardines lately. I used to find them with green chilis, but haven't seen those lately. I can still get the boneless skinless filets packed in olive oil.

Had one for lunch today. Sardines in mustard on whole wheat bread. Very good, healthy and gives a nice boost of energy. These were from Canada. I'll have to try some of the others mentioned.

I don't know anything about sprats, except for Jack Sprat, and I'm not sure if he's germane to this conversation.
grin2.gif
Although I understand that he preferred a low-fat diet.

Sardines packed in OLIVE OIL is the way to go....or add the Olive Oil to plain sardines.

The olive oil is nurishing and good for you. We don't have enough of these oils in our diets.

I've never put a sardine on a piece of bread. I've had my fair share on crackers or right out of the can. I've always liked "bait." Like mullet. Cheap and plenty of flavor. I've also been known to buy a box of frozen sardines at the fish market. Pull out the backbone, season, a little olive oil, and put under the broiler for a few minutes makes a tasty meal.

Dried smoked sardine with a squeeze of lemon/lime and home made bread with extra crispy, thick crust...my mouth is watering
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back