How thick is too thick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hydraulic lifters in my engine are giving me a bit of a headache! They're rather rattly from about 1,400 rpm and I've heard from many people that thicker oil will help.

Basically when my car (AU falcon) was first released in 1999, ford recommended 5w30 to get better fuel economy, but not long after taxis were reporting engine problems and excessive wear as they stacked on the miles. (Previous model had same engine but specified 15w40 and none of those engines had these new problems)
Ford quickly sent out a memo recommending 10w30 or 10w40 to overcome these problems.

I have always run 10w30 in mine with the odd 10w40 and although those aren't exactly thin, I have noisy hydraulic lifters (which can fail with thin oil) and I feel the need to go thicker

The question is in the title! Should I try 15w40 and then step up to 15/20w50 if that fails? Or is 20w50 too thick full stop? Some people with the same car have told me they have 15w60 and 20w50 In theirs. We're heading into winter now but I live in coastal Queensland so the temperature hardly ever goes below 0c (32f) anyway.
How cold can 20w go down to?

Some people may be interested that my father's Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero) 3.5 was smoking and using a ton of oil so he stuck a bottle of 40w70 in!!! That's a bit extreme and the engine seemed fine with it! I made him drop it after a few weeks anyway but it certainly helped with the oil consumption! Haha

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
ford recommended 5w30 to get better fuel economy, but not long after taxis were reporting engine problems and excessive wear as they stacked on the miles. (Previous model had same engine but specified 15w40 and none of those engines had these new problems)
Ford quickly sent out a memo recommending 10w30 or 10w40 to overcome these problems.

There's your answer right there.

10w-40 (if it gets cool there) or 15w-40 (if it's always warm).

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Or you swallow the bitter pill. and change the lifters. And drive with correct oiltype.

Have you controlled the oilpressure is good?

You said in your other thread that the vehicle had been badly overheated.

Thick oil won't quiet lifters. Especially not damaged lifters. Fix the actual problem.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Thick oil won't quiet lifters. Especially not damaged lifters. Fix the actual problem.

+1 Better have a look at the cam too.

The lifters are either not getting sufficient oil to pump them up or they are worn and can't retain the oil. I think they receive oil from the camshaft bearings, so it the cam bearings are worn, oil pressure is lost and may not be high enough to actuate the lifters.You might try taking them out and taking them apart. I believe they have a inside retaining ring that can be remove for disassembly. Use something like brake cleaner to try to clean out the deposits.Don't mix the parts. Do one at a time.I didn't know engines with hydraulic lifters were still being made in 1999. Regards

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

+1 Better have a look at the cam too.

LOL

I agree with replacing the lifters, but you can always try the 15w40 and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't within 1000km or so, then the more expensive option should be pursued.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
If my Ford in California can run for 10 years on 5w-20 in the desert (110-121F) every summer than you must have mechanical problems.

To be fair, it's not the same Ford engine. The I6 in the OP's Falcon is not sold in North America.

I agree with others though, you probably need to fix the lifters. In the interim a Xw40 oil might help a little, but it's no magic.

Once you fix the lifters, go with a good 10w40 as recommended by Ford and sleep well.

Nothing to do with your lifter issue but since Ford has spec'd 5W-30 for your engine you don't need to run anything heavier.
If you have your doubts as to the general condition of your engine get your oil pressure checked with the 5W-30 oil. In all likelihood a light (A5/B5) 5W-30 is more than thick enough.
Most domestic engines have relatively low oil pump relief settings consequently running 40 grade oils usually means running in by-pass mode most of the time at elevated rev's. I appreciate it's common practice down-under but in lubrication terms it is often counterproductive nonetheless.

Regarding your lifter issue, if you just what to find out if a heavier oil will solve the problem just add a can of polymer thickener to what you're running now. 5% will typically raise a 30 grade to a 40 and 10% to a 50 grade.
BTW in engines that just seem to have noisy lifters at times I've found just changing the brand can sometimes solve the problem. Or even a lighter oil (less air entrainment) and clean oil all can solve the problem in some situations. It not always thicker oil that will be the solution.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Nothing to do with your lifter issue but since Ford has spec'd 5W-30 for your engine you don't need to run anything heavier.

I'm absolutely shocked that you have a selective reading comprehension problem regarding thick oil. [/sarcasm]

Here, let me help you out:

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Basically when my car (AU falcon) was first released in 1999, ford recommended 5w30 to get better fuel economy, but not long after taxis were reporting engine problems and excessive wear as they stacked on the miles. (Previous model had same engine but specified 15w40 and none of those engines had these new problems)

Suddenly an expert on Australian Ford engines are you?

The lifters are either not getting sufficient oil to pump them up or they are worn and can't retain the oil. I think they receive oil from the camshaft bearings, so it the cam bearings are worn, oil pressure is lost and may not be high enough to actuate the lifters.You might try taking them out and taking them apart. I believe they have a inside retaining ring that can be remove for disassembly. Use something like brake cleaner to try to clean out the deposits.Don't mix the parts. Do one at a time.I didn't know engines with hydraulic lifters were still being made in 1999. Regards

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
If my Ford in California can run for 10 years on 5w-20 in the desert (110-121F) every summer than you must have mechanical problems.

You've retroed in an Aussie Falcon 6 ?

Would like to see the pics.

some oil are bad ,it isn't related to thickness but would be too long to elaborate,but the bottom line,if it is a big engine (v8 ,i6 v10,v12 etc use what trucker use,in similar thickness your car maker recommended,so for your inline 6 I would use what your local country truck driver use in synthetic variant!

Last edited:
The lifters are most likely clogged.
Hydraulic lifters typically last the life of the engine without problems.
The highest mileage we've had on an engine with hydraulic lifters was 175K with no problems at all. We owned the vehicle from new, though, and it had always had regular oil changes using mostly synthetics.
You've only got a little over 100K miles on your engine, so I don't think that the lifters are worn to the point that they won't hold oil. I think they're just gummed up.
You might try a solvent.
Rislone is a classic for freeing sticky lifters, with some here reporting good results.
Removing the lifters from a pushrod engine is usually a PITA, so I'd try some snake oil before removing them and taking them apart for manual cleaning.
They aren't all that easy to take apart and put back together, either.
You'll probably need a bench vice and you will need a good pair of snap ring pliers.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back