Who remembers this old classroom movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Paddle to the Sea"

Back in the day this is how we learned Science. This was my favorite School movie ever as a kid. No Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS or BETA here. It was played in the classroom with an honest to goodness movie projector and it's still a great learning experience for kids. After 40 years or so I finally found it on youtube, go figure.
Synopsis:
At Lake Nipigon, Canada, a native boy carves a wooden model of an Indian in a canoe and sets it free to travel the Great Lakes to the Atlantic ocean. The story follows the progress of the little wooden Indian on its journey through all five Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River, finally arriving at the Atlantic Ocean.

Paddle To The Sea

Awesome!!!!! I loved it when they`d show these films at school (when I was in elementary school in the 70s)!! They`d show them on those old Bell and Howell projectors,and the picture would always jump!

After my time . We had filmstrips in elementary school. About the only movie we got to se was "Hemo the Magnificent" It was about the human circulatory system

Watching right now...

film strips and film loops were king when I was in school. Once in a while a regular movie, if the teacher could figure out how to thread the projector.

The "A +1" attraction was the film loop of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

"They don't build em like they used to" and thats a good thing

Last edited:
We used to have a blast when the teacher would play the old movies backwards! The old animal/insect movies were the best!

I remember "Paddle" very well. I saw it in 3rd or 4th grade. It made such an impression on me that I went home and began building my own boat to make a similar journey. Unfortunately, I lived in the flattest of the flatlands of Illinois at the time, so there was no sea for the thing to paddle to.

I remember film strips that came with vinyl records that you manually sync'ed so that you had some narrative that went with the still images.

The only two movies that I can recall back in elementary school was "A Desk for Billie" and "Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land".

We did watch some of the old Biography films hosted by Mike Wallace.

I don't think I saw that one, I'll have to check it out. Oh, yeah, drop the screen, dim the lights, clicky, clicky, clicky goes the 16mm projector. Nice memory. We had 35mm film strips, just the still projected pictures, when I was in grade school. The film strips came in these little steel cans with a steel press-on lid. Sparked some old memories there, you did!

The Tacoma Narrows was a classic. I think we even saw that in an engineering course I took in the late '70s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I remember film strips that came with vinyl records that you manually sync'ed so that you had some narrative that went with the still images.

The only two movies that I can recall back in elementary school was "A Desk for Billie" and "Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land".

We did watch some of the old Biography films hosted by Mike Wallace.

Haha I forgot about those!! And then it would go "DING!" when the teacher was supposed to advance to the next picture.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I don't think I saw that one, I'll have to check it out. Oh, yeah, drop the screen, dim the lights, clicky, clicky, clicky goes the 16mm projector. Nice memory. We had 35mm film strips, just the still projected pictures, when I was in grade school. The film strips came in these little steel cans with a steel press-on lid. Sparked some old memories there, you did!

The Tacoma Narrows was a classic. I think we even saw that in an engineering course I took in the late '70s.

I can remember the rotary slide machines with a cassette tape narrating them. Also the 16mm movie reels. Those were the days.

Also for a couple of years, we had laser disks- CD like disks that were about the size of a 33!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

I can remember the rotary slide machines with a cassette tape narrating them. Also the 16mm movie reels. Those were the days.

Also for a couple of years, we had laser disks- CD like disks that were about the size of a 33!

I also remember before the Pioneer Laser Discs,there was what was called I think,a "video disk player" made by Magnavox that actually used a stylus and tracked the disc just like a vinyl record (which was the size of a 33rpm,just like the laser disc). I remember them having a horrible picture too.

Videodisc was the name brand. It was a capacitance stylus, and over time the disks degraded. They were OK when new but got worse the more you played them.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I also remember before the Pioneer Laser Discs,there was what was called I think,a "video disk player" made by Magnavox that actually used a stylus and tracked the disc just like a vinyl record (which was the size of a 33rpm,just like the laser disc). I remember them having a horrible picture too.

Oh yeah, in JR high we had Walter Crankcase in the "And You Were There" series. Black and white 16mm film worn to a frazzle.Skits of various events of US history.

I remember the story, but don't remember if we were shown the movie or if the book was read to us. I *do* remember that I am able to tell which Great Lake is which based on the descriptions in the story.

Wow, I have only the dimmest recollection of this film, just one scene--but it has popped into my head a couple of times in the last few months. Thanks for posting, I might watch it later.

Must have seen this in the second grade? First? Long ago!

The only film I recall vividly seeing at school on the old movie projector (clack-clack-clack!) was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weaUOdCIBGQ

There were nature films and the like, but those usually made me sleepy -- they'd invariably show them after lunch.

In grammar school, the teacher would haul us into the "TV room" once a month for some educational program on speaking French. ("La plume de ma tante" stuff, remember?) Then we were supposed to pass a test on it, so they had to have a full-scale review, an early preview of "teaching the test."

They dragged us into the TV room for the John Glenn orbit launch too, I think. But it was live, and we sat there and sat there for one delay after another -- difficult for small kids. One kid asked if there was really a man in the capsule, and the teacher made fun of him. I thought it a reasonable question since we hadn't gotten a single glimpse of the astronaut. (Whaddaya want? I was 8, okay?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back