N.J. Emission Test For 89 Olds That Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone near my engine shop has an 89 oldsmobile that failed the New Jersey smog test at DMV he wants it to pass, how many times can he go there and retest it? Can he just keep failing? He has little money and i cant help him we don't inspect.
He tried guaranteed to pass but he needs injectors and cant afford anything because he is out of work. Any ideas i could not find anything on the NJ inspection rules. Car body is still nice.
Any help or tricks would be great.

He can go back for reinspection as many times as he likes provided he shows up with some receipts showing that he's made repairs.

What's wrong with the injectors that's causing the problem? Does the car have port injection? It might be possible to unplug one or two misbehaving injectors and the O2 sensor to force open loop and pass.

Yea - what was wrong with it?

Sometimes you can get away with dumping some straight rubbing alcohol or acetone (or a mix) in the tank, driving on the highway a lot before the test, NOT shutting it off ...then it may pass.

Without seeing the report, we can't really advise. He can go back, and they will likely inspect without receipts. I once had a garbage generic converter installed on a car, and it failed, put an OEM one on, which worked perfect, but they just retested it without needing to see anything.

I think once $500 is spent then they give a free pass.

But honestly being out of work or not having any money is no excuse to bypass the emissions laws and stink up the roads. He should park the car. NJ transit works pretty well throughout the state, and if unemployed, the labor department may even provide a bus and train pass.

I like the eBay route for finding some used items, and it looks like he will have to learn diy. If he is unemployed, he has time to be able to work on the car, and the weather is decent.

Everything passed except the reading was 790 for the HCppm the standard is 220

He said he was in line for about 45 minutes with the engine running. He puts on under 80 miles a month since he lost his job the car has about 200,000 miles on it

Its not burning clean, thats unburned fuel. Spark plugs, Plug wires, possible and o2 sensor. Thats where i would start. How did he come to the conclusion that he needs fuel injectors?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I think once $500 is spent then they give a free pass.

This is incorrect. In the past there was a waiver for the dynamometer portion of the test only for cars that have had more than $500 in repairs performed. Both the waiver and the dyno test itself are gone. The car must pass the test or it fails the test.

On the other hand, there are outfits where one can illegally pay to pass for a lot less than $500.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
one was.50-.52 one was .33 i believe they were suppose to be .12
i only tested 3 that was enough

perhaps so but what is enough to cause failure? I would make sure the other things i mentioned are up to par, then injectors last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back