1990 Volvo 740 much slower than 153hp rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scored my $1000 '90 740 wagon a couple weeks ago. New plugs and wires. Needs new exhaust that's getting installed Thursday. Though the four pot is rated for 153hp/150tq, it feels 50hp less, and is quite possibly the slowest car i've ever owned in it's current state. My other Volvo, a '96 850 naturally aspirated 5cyl, is rated 168hp and feels night and day quicker. The 740 spent two days with my awesome local indie Volvo shop and they didn't find anything. The car is also averaging 17mpg, with a 19/26 EPA rating.

Would the [censored] exhaust system cause such massive power loss? Other possible variables?

740 Stats

Open exhaust can reduce power, but it varies from model to model. I would also check for vacuum leaks.

You've got new plugs and wires, does it have a distributor cap also?

Last edited:
Injectors?

Really, the car is 24 years old, if it was used regularly, it is worn.

If it has been sitting, it needs a thorough going over!

What is the compression?

Give it a couple of short OCI's and some long, fast runs with a good fuel additive.

Is there a mechanical fan? Some have them, some don't. Since there's also an electric one you could try going without for a bit.

Look for dragging brakes: there's a little rubber bellows in the front caliper that goes bad at times and the pins seize.

I had a 93 940 non-turbo sedan and a 91 940 turbo wagon. Both were as fast as they should be; the wagon was a hoot.

153hp was a lot of ponies for a 1990 four pot. Weighs 3161lbs. Auto.

I'll get a new cat as part of the exhaust system right?

Grab your handy vacuum gauge and get some numbers from the intake manifold. Or if you have scanner and this car has MAP sensor, you might be able to observe the MAP data to see if it gives you any clue on the cat blockage.

Redblock. You'll have to go a long way out your way to kill it. '90 is a good year.

An open exhaust won't slow one down.

But a tired fuel system will.
Over 150k, keep an eye on the main relay and regulator.
Once over 200k, keep an eye on the pump.

If it's been to a GOOD indy, they probably checked all this out. Otherwise, a good tune up is always a good plan on one newly acquired.

A good solid ride. Good luck with it.

Your car is an OBD 1 vehicle. It was designed and engineered in the mid-late 1980s BEFORE the E85 garbage we fill our tanks with today. Fuel economy usually suffers to the tune of 5-15% when an old car runs on alcohol. And those older fuel economy ratings were somewhat optimistic to begin with. If you're getting 17mpg in traffic with the a/c on with today's gas. You're probably pretty close to as good as it's gonna get.

Last edited:
I have a 1989 740T wagon, and nominal HP is 162. Watch the PCV system, and oil-soaked turbo hoses that eventually soften and fail. I drain my intercooler a few times per yr, to keep oil out of the intake.

Mine has ~180K miles and still runs well. I haven't had to do anything but maintenance to engine.

EDIT: Oops, this is the GLE model ... never mind the above blather about turbo.

I've had a few 240's and 740's na and turbo, and they are just slow. I had no idea the red block was ever rated with that high hp. Your mpg sounds pretty close to expectations, they're gas hogs. Don't expect much.

A broken, loud exhaust always makes the car feel slow because it's so loud.

My family had an 86 740 that had something attached to the gas pedal so you had to push really hard to get the car past part throttle. Take a look at the pedals.

The 740 is a great looking car, and the seats are so comfortable, enjoy.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I've had a few 240's and 740's na and turbo, and they are just slow. I had no idea the red block was ever rated with that high hp. Your mpg sounds pretty close to expectations

I bought my 740 wagon 10yrs and was surprised the mpg was so poor. But on 2 road trips @3k kms each, I averaged 25mpg USG loaded. Not bad for a low compression engine and no locking torque converter.

Based on the thread where he purchased this car, it is a 16v redblock - hence the 153 HP as opposed to 114 or so for the 8v non-turbo. One thing I would try is some premium fuel. If you look at the owner's manual, Volvo recommends premium for best performance, but it is not required. This car has a knock sensor and should allow for some more advance with premium. My '91 740 8v non-turbo is slightly peppier on 93 octane than it is on 87.

Also - the thermostatic element in the air cleaner on these will often fail in the "hot air" position. If this happens you will lose power and it can also kill the Mass Airflow Sensor. I would check that. I actually set mine up so that it only ever gets cold air.

I would replace the plugs with new copper plugs (Bosch or NGK coppers) and get a good cap, rotor and wire set.

Also do some reading on this site as they live and breathe RWD Volvos:
Volvo Brickboard

Here is a ton of 740/940 information from that site:
700/900 FAQs from the Brickboard

Andrew S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back