Silicone vs Nitrile in Summer and Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tested the difference between silicone and nitrile in the different seasons. I would think silicone would be advantageous both in summer and winter. Silicone should have a less chance of hardening from heat and from cold.

But, I see a lot of manufacturers of oil filters, including Wix, using nitrile on a lot of filters.

I have all silicone ADBV filters. But, is there really any reason to not use nitrile?

I imagine that silicone is more there for the selling point than anything. It might be better than nitrile but there isn't that big of need for it. Sure there might be extreme cases where it might be needed but probably way less than people think it is needed for.

There has to be reasons that the companies that make filters for commercial equipment use nitrile. It must be up to the task.

Last edited:
silicone ADBV is always much superior.

how much its useful varies by engine design, mounting position and orientation.

Silicone should be superior, especially in cold weather, yet I get fantastic starts with nitrile Napa Silvers even in frigid cold, so design and construction certainly plays into it as well.

I would suspect the nitrile would start to fail sooner but I don't tend to run extended OCI's with 3 dollar filters anyway.

In theory, silicone should be superior.
In practice, I've never seen any difference even in very cold weather.

Apparently silicone is supposed to be better in the winter time, but I ran a Mopar filter with a nitrile rubber ADBV with no issues. They are great filters.. I just cant get over the lousy construction for the cost.

I see you are from Ohio so you know how wonderful last winter was. The filter held up just fine even on those -25 degree days.

I think silicone is mostly for long OCI filters. If you plan on running a filter for 5000 plus, the silicone will hold up better in the constant heating and cooling cycles. Nitrile hardens over time with heat and usage. Hence why the M1, Royal Purple, Ultra, PureOne and the Tough Guard use silicone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I imagine that silicone is more there for the selling point than anything. It might be better than nitrile but there isn't that big of need for it. Sure there might be extreme cases where it might be needed but probably way less than people think it is needed for.

There has to be reasons that the companies that make filters for commercial equipment use nitrile. It must be up to the task.

Plus, we can only speak in generalities here, about the type of rubber used.

Different formulations and cures will result in different properties for both nitrile and silicone rubber.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Has anyone tested the difference between silicone and nitrile in the different seasons. I would think silicone would be advantageous both in summer and winter. Silicone should have a less chance of hardening from heat and from cold.

But, I see a lot of manufacturers of oil filters, including Wix, using nitrile on a lot of filters.

I have all silicone ADBV filters. But, is there really any reason to not use nitrile?

Hi,
Nitrile rubber adbv's work just as well and have nearly the exact same leak rate as silicone. that said, they do tend to get stiff after 6-7k of use so are primarily found in oil filters that are designed for 5k OCI's. Silicone on the other hand remains pliable forever and is found on premium filters designed for longer OCI's.

If its just an anti return .no biggy if it is dual use (anti return and bypass ,my favorite)then in this case silicon is probably a good idea

I used a White Can Of Death ("Tearolator" Classic) on my winter wagon and the nitrile material held up perfectly, but I only used it for 3,000 miles. There was no delay with oil light going off or clattering (on a VQ motor no less, know for start-up death rattle).

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: Cooper

Hi,
Nitrile rubber adbv's work just as well and have nearly the exact same leak rate as silicone. that said, they do tend to get stiff after 6-7k of use so are primarily found in oil filters that are designed for 5k OCI's. Silicone on the other hand remains pliable forever and is found on premium filters designed for longer OCI's.

Thats why the Tough Gaurd and the Ultra both use Silicone ADBV Correct?

and the extra Gaurd and the High Mileage use Nitrle rubber Correct?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
In theory, silicone should be superior.
In practice, I've never seen any difference even in very cold weather.

I had a FORD truck.. 2 of them...... and I remember when all of a sudden the model number changed to a S at the end... The guy at the part store said thats b.c Motorcraft is putting silicone on the oil filters for the truck.

I was in very cold weather and in the morning you could hear lifter noise when you started the truck... Then after I switched to the S model that lifter noise was gone at a cold start or was gone much faster then b4.

So Silicone is better for COLD and its FORD did change many of there oil filters on certain cars and trucks with a certain v6 to a Silicone ADBV to help stop the lifter noise on start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back