STP S3600 Cut open (ecore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
3,000 mile oil change. 1986 Dodge D100, 225 slant 6.

80% highway miles, with Peak 10w40.

Filter element looks fine, and fiber ends felt tight.

I have used this model filter the last couple oil changes. No startup noises and no issues so far.
Anybody familiar with the slant 6 knows the oil filters stand straight up vertically (opening facing down), and each time the ecore sat full with oil whenever changed.

Hey! That ecore looks like it has enough media to prevent the dreaded square hole failure. Can it be Champion has improved them?

I was thinking, a dreaded e-core. What will we see here? But, this doesn't look too bad. If they all looked this way, it would be a decent cheap filter for some apps. Not mine, but some....

Too bad they don't all look this good....

I have been using the STP filter since AutoZone started carrying it. I have never dissected one, but I havent had any problems either. 2870A.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I was thinking, a dreaded e-core. What will we see here? But, this doesn't look too bad. If they all looked this way, it would be a decent cheap filter for some apps. Not mine, but some....

Too bad they don't all look this good....

Our autozone carries this STP for about $2, but recently went up to $4.

I stuck a Fram on this time after the price jump. This ecore surprised me though, looked like it could have made it to 5,000 easily.

Al a long time ecore hater I have to say that may be the best looking ecore I've ever seen. Have a picture of the seam side or did I just miss the seam?

Could I talk you into taking a pleat count?

Thanks for cutting and posting!

The PH3600 size has always been a pretty good filter from most brands, its just got plenty of room in there for tons of media and they always seem to turn out nice. I have an XG3600 going on my Taurus soon.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The PH3600 size has always been a pretty good filter from most brands, its just got plenty of room in there for tons of media and they always seem to turn out nice. I have an XG3600 going on my Taurus soon.

True, the PH3600 and very similar PH3980 are my two favorite orange cans by far, more pleats and they always seem to look good.

A great looking ecore here though.

i use the Ultra 3600 as an oversize filter on the Prius--plenty of room and will last for 1 full year oci.

OP--just curious, how many miles has the ole 6 racked up in these years?

Steve

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Every site has my year slant 6 calling for a S16 or PH43, which is half this size.
They will not even clear the slants oil tube.
I am satisfied, and would not hesitate to grab another if the price is fair.

So far no startup noise with the Fram.

I may grab one next time, I run Motorcrafts on both of my Mavericks. Motorcraft is a quality filter in my eyes.
Started running MC's on our New Holland 3930, instead of the expensive New Holland brand.
Are these made by different company's I wonder?

The motorcraft is made by Purolator to Ford spec, so they don't suffer from the same issues the classics and pureones do AFAIK.

The new holland filters are probably sourced from another manufacture. I think i read something about them being made by this company but not sure if they just make the oil.

http://www.viscosityoil.com/

Motorcrafts are ironically a fantastic choice for Chrysler products. They offer more features and cost significantly less than the Mopars in most sizes.

Originally Posted By: IGotYourBack
Every site has my year slant 6 calling for a S16 or PH43, which is half this size.
They will not even clear the slants oil tube.

Hmm. A PH16/L14670 fits my slant 6 just fine. So will an FL1A/L30001 (huge).

It's a '76 Plymouth van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back