Spatchcock

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatchcock

I learned this method in Southern Portugal.

Great way to grill a whole chicken fast.

106gbk8.jpg

Hello, While it looks completely appetizing, having the entire bird on a grill would possibly work against you because the varying thicknesses of the bird will cook at different times.

Cutting the chicken up gives the cook more control. Kira

Looks good.

Sure cut up chicken would be easier to cook but whole chicken is different than cut up chicken. Cooking whole chickens on the grill is an area I don't excel in for some reason. My friend can turn out drunk chickens at will that are amazing.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, While it looks completely appetizing, having the entire bird on a grill would possibly work against you because the varying thicknesses of the bird will cook at different times.

I could see though with the back removed, you cook the front until the drum sticks are mostly done and then finish it on its back. Thighs and breast are pretty close in terms of thickness. Also with a normal sized and proportioned chicken(not the mutants we get these days) it probably works quite well.

That is the entire point of spatchcock; it flattens the bird out and gives a more even cook.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

That is the entire point of spatchcock; it flattens the bird out and gives a more even cook.

Indeed it works great and the chicken comes out very Even.

I also do Whole chickens on the kettle, Indirect heat.

Those I Brine for 24hrs or so as well.

They come out great

1zme68y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back