Quality Windows version of Mac Book Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions of a Windows version of the Mac Book Air? My niece is going to college in the fall and was wondering about suggestions of high quality Windows notebooks that similar to Mac Book air.

Look for >=i5 and 128GB SSD

Or just buy the Apple? I only buy Thinkpad since 1998 so I know nothing about laptops.

Macs are better built and their price obviously represents it.
A similar speced PC will cost half as much, 1000 is too much in my opinion for anybody but the fact that its light and she will have apple support in case she needs it I think its big plus for people who are computer literate.

I dont consider being able to suft the web , doing word document, and checking email computer literate. I mean when things break people just cry, people have no logic of how to troubleshoot, and people dont bother googling.

For that reason alone, I'd say get mac, she wont call you at 1 in morning complaining about laptop not printing or something.

other than that, any 250+ dollar pc will do EVERYTHING she will ever need plus more. going on websites will never stress out a pc, but a virus or a wrong doing of a user will cause stress for the user and anybody who has to support them.

Last edited:
Buy the MacBook Air. It can be booted as a PC. I occasionally run Windows 7 on my Mac to use a PC based diagnostic program for VWs.

Don't waste your money on the MacBook. Apple users are just buying marketing hype. Yuppies with money buy Apple products. They use the same processors, ram etc everyone else is using You can buy an all metal up and throw ubuntu on it or buy a system 76 with everything. Apple is reliant on bsd to run osx. Keeps in mind ubuntu only has roughly 600 virus osx 800,000 and 2,000,000 for Windows

I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu/Linux. I've recently gotten in to Linux, and really really enjoy it, but it is not a solution for a student going to college. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the instructions to connect my wireless printer that call for like 10 lines to be entered in to the terminal.

I would recommend checking out the Lenovo Outlet for refurbs or scratch and dents. I recently bought my sister a decent Lenovo laptop for $190 that has the newest Haswell i3/Intel 4000 graphics and 4 GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive.. It's light and has terrific battery life. If you keep a close eye on the outlet site you can catch a deal like this.

The dell latitude business class laptops is where I would put my money.

Not as good looking as a mac air, but should serve you well.

If the student needs the mac os for some reason (unlikely), then you can run the windows os as a VM on the mac with vmware fusion.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu/Linux. I've recently gotten in to Linux, and really really enjoy it, but it is not a solution for a student going to college. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the instructions to connect my wireless printer that call for like 10 lines to be entered in to the terminal.

It depends on the distribution. I'm no Linux pro, but I'm surprised that Ubuntu wasn't able to handle that itself? I know with Mint MATE 16, I hooked up our new printer FASTER than with my wife's Windows 8.1 powered laptop.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE

I use Linux (Mint and Ubuntu) every day for my college classes.. Haven't had an issue yet!

My dad recently bought a Samsung ATIV Book 9:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP940X3G-K04US

Build quality is very good. It runs Windows 8 like a champ. It's really quite impressive. Like a MacBook, it's not cheap. But you do get what you pay for.

I, too, wouldn't recommend Linux here. I have it on a few machines myself and it's fun to play with, but with the knowledge that MOST people have of it, it's just not a viable tool. I consider myself to have more knowledge than most, but even I don't have the desire to learn Linux to the degree that would make it viable as my only OS.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Any suggestions of a Windows version of the Mac Book Air? My niece is going to college in the fall and was wondering about suggestions of high quality Windows notebooks that similar to Mac Book air.

Look for >=i5 and 128GB SSD

Or just buy the Apple? I only buy Thinkpad since 1998 so I know nothing about laptops.

ASUS Zenbook.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I, too, wouldn't recommend Linux here. I have it on a few machines myself and it's fun to play with, but with the knowledge that MOST people have of it, it's just not a viable tool. I consider myself to have more knowledge than most, but even I don't have the desire to learn Linux to the degree that would make it viable as my only OS.

I disagree with this completely. Linux doesn't require any special knowledge to use it, if you know how to use Windows, you can learn Linux in 5-10 minutes at most. I'm not talking about using the terminal, you can use the software manager instead. In fact this is where I would recommend Linux to someone who isn't more than the average user.. It's better than Windows for them! The average user is going to be doing all the wrong things for computer security, for example installing new programs. I'm sure you know how much malware is pushed on people through free windows software downloads. This doesn't happen in Linux.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
you can use the software manager instead.

Unlike Windows, an Ubuntu (or Mint) user will very rarely need to install anything outside of what they'd find through their software manager. With Windows, everything non-Microsoft needs to be hunted down, downloaded and installed by double-clicking installation applications. Then, they all need to be updated separately!

With Ubuntu and other user-friendly distros, the developers compile the source code and test out the applications for you before placing them in a software repository where your software manager will automagically see it and update it for you. Usually, your entire OS is in those repositories and therefore you never have to go to many disparate web sites to install all sorts of different things.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Linux doesn't require any special knowledge to use it, if you know how to use Windows, you can learn Linux in 5-10 minutes at most. I'm not talking about using the terminal, you can use the software manager instead.

I've installed Linux variants on at least four different machines in the last year, and in various flavors (Mint MATE, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc). Every single one of them required either a certain distribution (some crashed while another installed just fine) or customization at the command line after installation to get all of the hardware to work (especially wireless cards). I'm more patient than most with computing, and my day job is at least half IT-related, but I'll tell you, getting the machines at home that I have running on Linux took HOURS and HOURS of fiddling with them. Maybe yours didn't, and that's great.

Linux doesn't necessarily require special skills nor a computer science degree to use it. But it requires a desire to use it. I'm glad that you're happy with it. I'm mostly happy with my installations, too. But I never recommend it as a primary OS for someone, and especially not for someone who didn't come to me asking, "so, what's the best Linux distro to run"? If you have the heart and desire to use it, you WILL find it easy. If your heart's not in it, though, it'll be a miserable experience.

It's like trying to make someone drive a stick shift who doesn't want to. Yes, it's "easy". Yes, TCO is probably lower than with an automatic. But it just doesn't matter if the person doesn't want it. I'll gladly teach someone how to drive a stick if they ask me, but I'd never go up to someone and say, "you know, you really should learn to drive a stick and get rid of your automatic transmission."

Isn't that why they have the hardware databases so you can see if your hardware will work before you install? Kinda unfair to expect Linux to out of the gate run every piece of hardware ever made. Just as much the manufacturer's fault for not provided Linux drivers.

I remember doing a clean install of Win7 on a laptop a couple years ago. Only computer at the time. I didn't make a backup of the drivers since I figured Win7 would be able to provide an ethernet driver and then I'd download everything else. Can't get anymore basic than ethernet. Epic fail. Had to use the PS3 to download a driver before I could connect to the net.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Isn't that why they have the hardware databases so you can see if your hardware will work before you install? Kinda unfair to expect Linux to out of the gate run every piece of hardware ever made. Just as much the manufacturer's fault for not provided Linux drivers.

This was a broadcom b43 wireless card. There are multiple versions of the driver out there, and it's supposed to work. Linux's "additional drivers" applet found multiple versions...some were proprietary and some where not.

Here's the thread on it:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3201856/1/I_tried_Ubuntu

Ramblejam got me out of that jam with some Terminal code.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

What can you possibly be doing that would require such knowledge to make Linux viable as your only OS?

You can talk about wireless all you want, but look at the nonsense that goes into Windows installs these days. On a quick computer, I can have a Linux install of Mint up and running in under ten minutes, with everything working.

NICs and HP printers are plug and play in Linux. Try it in Windows. And no, HP including the software on the printer and then Windows extracting it from there isn't plug and play.
wink.gif

You can't blame Linux for not always working perfectly out of the box on hardware that was made for Windows!

My installs aren't always perfect right out of the box, but it's never more than a simple fix that might take 20 minutes max. I administer Linux systems for friends and family, and I will tell you, that I don't get the complaints from the Linux users like I do from the users with Windows.

And yes, I will tell people the benefits of Linux all the time. I'm not going to wait for them to come and ask me about Linux because they never will! I'm not pushy, just informative on how it works, and if they say "I want to try that!" I install it for them. If not, that is fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back