Full Synthetic or 'dexos' semi synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I have a Cruze 1.4T that has only had Mobil1 since new.

I will continue to use only full syn. because UOA's show this motor to be hard on oil and my 2011 has an overly optimistic OLM (later Cruzen seem to have a recalibrated OLM although GM hasn't officially said so).

I now see several semi-syn, dexos rated oils at WM (QSSB, PSB, Castrol SS) which sell for approx. $16.50 to $18 for the 5 qt. jug. Supertech full synthetic (made by Warren) is also in this price range although it isn't dexos approved.

Would you prefer the full synthetic or is the dexos approval more important to you?

PS: I only ask out of curiosity as I have no plan on using a syn blend.

Given the choices, I'd go for dexos1 approved and change the oil more often if those were the only choices available.

My real answer is: It depends. GM's more likely to play ball on powertrain warranty claims for turbo-related failures if one can show dexos1-approved oils were used. But, a good full synthetic ought to help prevent failures in the first place.

Even though those blends are at least half syn, for the few extra dollars I'd stock up on QSUD or another full syn dexos1 oil when it goes on sale. Then, it's the best of both worlds with dexos1 approval and having superior, even if only slightly, basestocks.

I agree Sciphi...for only a few dollars more a full syn is cheap insurance.

I guess what I'm really asking is which do you think is a better oil...PSB, QSSB, Castrol SS or Supertech full synthetic?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I agree Sciphi...for only a few dollars more a full syn is cheap insurance.

I guess what I'm really asking is which do you think is a better oil...PSB, QSSB, Castrol SB or Supertech full synthetic?

If those were my only choices, I'd stick with a SOPUS product, either the PSB or QSSB depending on price. Not a fan of Castrol products for personal reasons, and Supertech full syn doesn't have dexos1 approval in case warranty work were ever needed.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
My dexos1 full synthetic 5W30 costs $2.68/qt from local distributor. 5 gallon pail.

Which full syn. is that.....and what distributor (as I'm close enough to Connecticut)?

Is that distributor where you get the PC Duron? (I've always liked the looks of PC's oils and ATF's)

Originally Posted By: pbm
My dexos1 full synthetic 5W30 costs $2.68/qt from local distributor. 5 gallon pail.

Which full syn. is that.....and what distributor (as I'm close enough to Connecticut)?

Is that distributor where you get the PC Duron? (I've always liked the looks of PC's oils and ATF's)

Brand is Advanced Lubrication Specialties, distributed by Ocean Sate Oil Co. Dennison Lubricants has similar offering. Just ask for API GL-5 SN dexos1 spec oil - they all have it.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
API GL-5 is a gear oil spec.

You are correct - I should have stated API SN dexos1. Thanks for the catch.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
API GL-5 is a gear oil spec.

You are correct - I should have stated API SN dexos1. Thanks for the catch.

probably meant GF-5?

My dealer put QSUD in my Dad's 1.4 2012 Cruze...

Cruze's are hard on oil, full synthetic Dexos 1 5W-30 is the way I roll...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
My dealer put QSUD in my Dad's 1.4 2012 Cruze...

Cruze's are hard on oil, full synthetic Dexos 1 5W-30 is the way I roll...

I agree....that's why if money was tight I think I'd prefer the Supertech (Warren) full synthetic to the dexos semi-syns. I'd probably keep the OCI to a max of 6K regardless of what the OLM says....

dexos1.

"Synthetic" is a marketing term, not a technical term. There are superb quality full syn oils, and lowest possible spec syn oils. I'd rather have an oil that meets the tougher-than-SN dexos1 spec than a cheapo full syn.

I'd use the cheapest dexos I could find. If it meets the standards, it meets the standards.

As others mentioned, GM dexos is XOM-made anyway.

I only use synthetic for extended OCI's in cars that don't have an OLM, or where synthetic is required (usually European cars).

Once I've used up my 4 CPO oil changes from the GM dealer, I plan to go with full synthetic, QSUD probably, and change every 4000-4500 miles. I've seen the UOAs on even a synth in the 2.4L Ecotec engine. Even PP gets beaten up badly in a 6K OCI.

I drive less than 10K a year. An average of 2.5 changes a year with a reasonably-priced synthetic, vs. the 2 a year with Defy that I used to do on the 3800-powered Park Avenue, won't break me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back