FRAM box w/ Donaldson Power Core Air Filter Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a very large FRAM filter at Wallymart today and the box was opened and I looked and I couldn't believe what I saw... Donaldson Filter in the box.

I wish I would of taken a pic of the Air FIlter element it was very very impressive.

I think it was over 25$

wkqlwz.jpg

2dinck9.jpg

2da1476.jpg

'06-'10 LBZ & LMM Duramax filter, Donaldson designed the air intake & filter. Then GM cheaped out on the LML & started using flat panel filters again.

FRAM outsources their specialty filters to other brands if they can't make them in-house. Fram PH373 w/the 13/16-16 thread is a Donaldson design since it has metal end caps and a fluted metal center core.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
FRAM outsources their specialty filters to other brands if they can't make them in-house. Fram PH373 w/the 13/16-16 thread is a Donaldson design since it has metal end caps and a fluted metal center core.

Donaldson must own the patent or somthing... at least it says MADE IN THE USA on it.

I have give it up to both FRAM and Donaldson for that.

Donaldson could of easily had it made in Mexico or China or Inida.. but Im happy its made in USA.

not enough stuff made in USA anymore.

** Franklin D. Roosevelt said. We're building refrigerators while our enemies build bombs**

Now its the other way around.... We need to make more refrigerators and cars and shoes and other stuff...

The biggest Donaldson filter I've ever seen was an air filter for a Pierce fire engine.

I don't know what kind of engine it had but that filter was about as big as a 20 gallon aquarium.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Nice looking filter for a truck, bet you can get 100k or more out of it.

it is a very impressive air filter, I should of took a picture of the actual filter / paper / elemnt.. its like honey comb shaped... It very ODD.. Reminded me of a BEE HIVE....

here is a pic i found online of the filter element...

Looks like alot of thought went into this design.

and the FRAM was the same except it was WHITE and this ones seems blue... Not sure why....
but looks the same other then color.

vr1.jpg

Volant-Filter-Swap-5.jpg

g8volant8.jpg

Probably a different color due to a different model and the years are much different too i bet. The white Fram has a 2008 ish looking date code.

Very nice filter, wish i could retrofit one on all my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Probably a different color due to a different model and the years are much different too i bet. The white Fram has a 2008 ish looking date code.

Very nice filter, wish i could retrofit one on all my vehicles.

The blue donaldsons were a higher efficiency than the standard white ones for the Duramax applications, unfortunately donaldson does not make an OEM blue replacement and the only option is to get an intake that accepts the Volant powercore filters which are still made by donaldson in their blue media. They are different filter medias white being the standard and blue being the higher performance media. NOS stock of the blue OEM filters ran out around 2012 unless you get lucky and find one on eBay.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Volant makes adapters to use a Donaldson PowerCore filter like a cone type filter.

I'd buy their intakes just to get that air filter.

Powercore filters are very good, current one in my Duramax is going on 65k and is holding up very well, the restriction meter has not moved. They are a pretty remarkable filter.

The powercore is a great filter. I've got them in two pickups (about 150,000 miles on each on dirt roads), plus my F550 that came from Ford with it. We have put them on about 500 pickups or so, plus most of the buggies that race on the dirt tracks and back roads.

Filtering is very different. Dirty air goes in corrugated tubes that are folded at the end and has to change course, so leaves the dirt behind. There are complete kits for a lot of applications. I've also put them on ag equipment and buses.

I have some pictures and videos on this page:
Powercore pics and videos

Not a lot of those trucks made it here.
Have to check the CFM for your engine. Depending on which engine you have, you'd need the 9 or maybe 10 series. I can get a 9 series under the hood of a Tundra, but can't get anything in the Cummins Ram trucks. Those engines take up all the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back