Pinging goes away after vacuum adv disc - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I just ordered a adjustable vacuum advance and some springs for the mechanical advance. Stay tuned...

Now, you need to bum an adjustable advance timing light from someone. If you don't know anybody that has one, buy one for $55 or so off Amazon. You don't need to buy an expensive one because you won't be getting very much use out of it. Make sure you buy one with the adjustable advance, don't cheap out! You don't need one with a digital adjuster, the dial type is fine, that is what I have and I actually prefer the dial.
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7528-Advance-Timing-Light/dp/B000BSWEHS/

wag123, the OP is also in TX. You should see if you're close and offer to lend a tool or a hand.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
...wag123, the OP is also in TX. You should see if you're close and offer to lend a tool or a hand.

lol.gif
Texas is a BIG state! But I'm just north of San Antonio in Bulverde.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

I wonder why they wouldn't make some electronic aftermarket distributors. They would be far more reliable and cheaper than the early-20th-century mechanical-distributor technology.

MSD makes a computerized distributor for such old cars. There were some screws you would turn that would change advance by RPM, and vacuum advance had similar adjustments. Instead of a vacuum actuator, the special distributor used a MAP sensor.

I looked online for one that fits a Ford 460, but I didn't see one. I have seen them on more common V8 engines like the Chevy 350 and Ford 302.

WooHoo!!!
11.gif

Thanks everyone for helping me conquer this problem! I ordered a Crane Cams adjustable vacuum advance, followed what you guys said, and the directions in the box.

With no vacuum advance I had to adjust the initial timing from 10 to 8 to get all the pinging out.

Then I connected up the vacuum advance and adjusted it until the pinging went away.

Fyi, I had to do a LOT of bending to the arm on the vacuum advance.

Thanks again everyone!
34.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back