Recommend corded drill with keyed chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this hasn't been hashed through already on BITOG:

I am in the market for a simple corded electric drill with a keyed chuck. It seems that cordless is all the rage these days, but I don't want batteries, and won't be too far from an outlet. My criteria is:

- No batteries, just plug into 120 volt outlet.
- Variable speed, with top speed of at least 1,500 rpm.
- Keyed chuck that can hold a variety of bits straight without slipping.
- Occasional use, but something that will last for years without self-destructing.
- I don't plan to drive screws with it, so reverse isn't important.
- A second handle would be nice for stability, but not essential.
- I don't need a fancy carrying case.
- Keep the price under $100.

Any recommendations? I don't mind buying used (like on craigslist) if an older model is suggested.

TIA.

I have an older Milwaukee that I like way more than my 'battery' drill.

But, it only has a 3/8" Chuck.

I would highly recommend getting a 1/2" Chuck.
Even if you think you may not need it.

My corded Makita is 33 years old now. Never needed anything...through literally hundreds of projects and tasks...

That should meet your durability requirement.

But truthfully, any quality company, e.g. DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, will have a drill that fits your needs...they're all good...

This is the modern iteration of mine: http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=6407

Last edited:
My dad has a Craftsman that predates 1978. It has drilled everything and still works.
I subsequently purchased a Craftsman Professional in 2005 and it also still works flawlessly after heavy use and potential abuse out of my hands.
Although mine was made in China.

I like Milwaukee & Hilti, This meet criteria except price.
https://www.us.hilti.com/drilling-%26-demolition/rotary-drills/273756

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: Trav
This is a good drill!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-2..._-100609377-_-N

Indeed it is.

But low RPM, and the OP wanted a Minimum of 1500RPM.

Yep i sort of missed that. The thing is if you have a small drill capable of 1500 RPM as soon as it gets a load put on it slows down, the powerful 1/2 just maintains.
I have a 5.5 and 8 amp Milwaukee and the 5.5 is stronger, so strong you better have the handle jacked against something using large wood bits or hole saws.
Just a thought.

Some drills have a High and a Low speed, but still variable on the trigger.

You may as well get a hammer drill for the added utility while you are at it.

I have a 12 y/o or so Milwaukee corded drill, it has been great. I use it invariably and didn't want battery issues.

For your description I would get a hammer drill. Home Depot has several that fit your need for under $100.

You can turn the hammer feature off, speed up to about 2500 RPM variable, 1/2 or 5/8 chuck depending on model, reversible, side handle, depth gauge. I would recommend the Dewalt for $79 or Milwaukee for $99, or Bosch for $89. Stay away from the Ryobi and other low performing models. Good luck.

Everyone that owns a Swedish made Bosch drill that I know of likes them.

Bosch or Milwaukie is the way to go

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back