Squatters, eating dogs, camping in a local park

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So my son and I were just out for a bike ride and instead of taking the "rail trail", which is a local rail bed that spans multiple communities and is used for cycling, walking, running...etc, I thought it would be more fun, since it was just the two of us, to take an old trail/series of trails that I used to ride when I was his age. They wind through the woods and loosely follow the river that runs into and through the park.

So we are about 500M into this trail and we come across evidence of a fire, a girl's pink blanket, singed, a suitcase with a teddy bear in it along with a few random items of clothing and the remnants of what I believe was a medium-sized dog that it looked like somebody had cooked and was snacking on....
shocked.gif

A bit weirded out by this I inspected it, didn't see any signs of recent human presence and so we carried on further. Another 500M or so, back in the woods, maybe 50M from the trail was a very shifty looking tent. It was quite weathered in appearance but intact. It was closed. I did not investigate.

Concerned by the presence of both sites I called the local police after we returned home. When I described the scene of the dog the officer was like "come again?". Yeah, it was a bit off. He indicated that they may be squatters and that they would send somebody out to investigate.

Could the dead animal have been a coyote or wolf?.

I would guess its legal to kill your own dog in a humane manner. You might be able to eat it yourself but not sell it for human consumption.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Could the dead animal have been a coyote or wolf?.

I would guess its legal to kill your own dog in a humane manner. You might be able to eat it yourself but not sell it for human consumption.

It could have been a coyote. Would have been too small to be a wolf.

This wouldn't be anything unusual in the USA, we have tons of
homeless roaming the streets and camping out anywhere and everywhere. Canada is still better off as far as being a civil society compared to the US.

A lot more common than you think. Here in Florida, that kind of thing happens all the time - and it's not just dogs for supper, it's cats and rats as well.

As far as eating a dog, you get hungry enough, you'll eat a dog and fight over the bones.

Somewhere I read that most garbage disposals in America eat better food than many of our homeless.

I'm gonna throw this in the mix as well - unless you're prepared to deal with this kind of situation, you're best bet for your own personal safety and the safety of your son is to stay out of that neck of the woods. They've made it their home and will feel like you're invading their home if you return. If you do feel compelled to revisit this area, be constantly aware of your surroundings and be prepared to offer help.

We have a lot of panhandlers I wish the cops would buy them bus tickets to FL like they used to.

+1 on staying away from there. Most likely harmless, but I don't trust anybody. Never get off your bike for people like that and keep rolling at a swift paces when you see them.

Gross. The dog is disturbing. I suppose it's ultimately no more morally objectionable than eating any other animal, but it seems like a violation of the "social contract" of sorts that humans have with domestic dogs and cats. Seems like part of that thousands of years old agreement is that they are off of the menu.

Generally, food in some form is pretty available to homeless people. There are soup kitchens, churches, food stamps, etc. On some level eating dog is a choice and probably involved as much effort as obtaining more conventional food, and that is pretty troubling. Likely an indicator of mental illness (as is the whole situation really).

I've lived in a couple places where squatters were an issue and they did some very bizarre things.
I collingwood squatters used to live in this partially finished concrete condo. As a teen we'd go up there after eating mushrooms and taunt these guys.
Bad idea. Desperate people will do many things most people wouldn't dream of.
And banff/Canmore and kelowna. The homeless presence was very in your face type,panhandling everywhere. Because of decent weather they can survive outside for most of the year.

Must be catching...

Better half went for a walk in the bush up behind us a few months ago, and there's a cave there...but this time, the cave was enclosed with sheets, and there was a clothesline strung out the front.

Beat a hasty retreat, and straight to the cop station.

"Did they throw poo at you ?" said the cops, "that's how they usually ask people to go away".

They actually eat dogs as a delicacy in some places( like the Philippines ). They say dog is actually good to eat? I could never do it as my dogs are part of my family. My meat goes moo, oink, and cluck not woof. I would seriously harm someone if I saw them trying to take someone's dog, or lord help them mine, to kill and eat.

I agree with the others who say to avoid that area. Just not worth the risk. Many homeless people are that way through no fault of their own and are harmless and just need to get back on their feet. Others however can be mentally unstable and very dangerous.

I used to do armed security patrols( cruiser )around a large mill complex( multiple streets )over night. I had to constantly remove homeless people from the properties I was watching over. I hated it. I felt horrible having to roust the down on their luck nice folks. made me sick having to boot folks who just wanted a place to sleep. The nut jobs though were a different story. I never had to draw my sidearm but I was sure glad I had it with me. Some of them were totally off their rocker. Had to poke a couple in the chest with the night stick and tell them get back a few times when they advanced aggressively.

Be wary if you go back there. It really would be best to avoid that area altogether. I would also let your neighbors know. Maybe contact the local animal shelter and let them know in case there are people with missing pets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Apparently dogs and goats have very similar skeletal structures, so maybe we could tell ourselves it was a goat?

I am going to hang on to the opinion that it was a coyote; but if a group of people have put themselves in that dire a situation I am not going to fault them for eating.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Apparently dogs and goats have very similar skeletal structures, so maybe we could tell ourselves it was a goat?

I am going to hang on to the opinion that it was a coyote; but if a group of people have put themselves in that dire a situation I am not going to fault them for eating.

I would lay money on a family pet( dog )vs a coyote. Coyotes are very wary of man and it is unlikely a homeless person without a rifle would be able to harvest one. Not a healthy one anyway. A family pet( dog )that is friendly could easily be convinced to come to the person and then dispatched.

I just made myself sick thinking about that.
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back