Dielectric grease or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just exercising the connection will clean it . Or if you have a dab of De-oxit use that to clean connections.DG runs from vaseline to more exotics with silicone in them. It is used to stop corrosion by being air tight.Making the connection will displace it to make contact. After having to scramble to find a Jeep V8 wire set during a simple plug change. I use boot grease every time I mess with the plugs now.

When I finished with the new brake lines and bleeders on the Rat, I hit the fittings with chassis lube anything with threads, got greased. Same principle.

I too put Dielectric Grease on everything including bulb bases, connectors, plugs and battery terminals. I recently ran out of my regular CRC dielectric grease and have been trying Liquid Wrench Dielectric anti-size. So far I am liking it and finding it very versatile. I dont use it in place of actual anti-seize compound but it is nice to know that it will function as an anti-sieze as well.

It is good stuff, easily available at your local Lowes store. Check it out: http://www.lowes.com/pd_549792-1409-L803_0__

best is probably Allison atf fluid since it is tested for 300 hours for corrosion on copper but I doubt you ll find that avail in quar4ts since it is for big rig!

I use this stuff. Been using it for years on C Band Satellite RF connectors. Fill them up and connect them Repel water and will not corrode. It lasts for years and has the best anti corrosion there is. Best electrical grease there is 100% synthetic & so pure you could eat it.

If you want something quicker Home Dep0t sells a great product called CSP (corrosion stop proetcetor) Excellent spray product. Its spray grease and does not smell and stays where you spray it and repels water. Hose off my suspension for years now with this stuff snd no under carriage rust. No squeeks or rattles. Door hinges, hatch hinges, locks,latches. Very good stuff. Made by PB Blaster.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82&pcid=17

CRC makes,or did make, an excellent aerosol dielectric grease, but I haven't seen it on the shelf lately.Very good for sealing all electrical connections on automobiles.A little pricey.

I like dielectric grease myself.

This is a good product as well. I have used it on volume controls of radios and such. Went from static/scratch sound to normal volume control. I have also used it on slider controls where the signal was intermittent through the travel. Use it on computer ram connectors as well.

It is pricy, but a little tiny bottle will last forever because it goes on thin.....

http://stabilant.com/techt02h.htm

Last edited:
I don't think Stabilant should be viewed as a dielectric grease. The mechanism is completely different. According to the manufacturer, it forms a thin coating that becomes conductive where pressure points occur but insulates and protects everywhere else. Attributed to a unique molecular structure. I am not sure adding grease to this would be useful. But I would like to know. Grease blocks evil things, and is wiped clean at the contact points when inserting connectors. Stabilant, provides a thin protective coating but improves contact resistance. According to the manufacturer.

I have used the product for a long time and it seems to work quite well. It saved me the cost of major transmission and on-board computer replacement or work. I regularly treat connectors in my equipment before putting them into operation.

I would rate it as good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back