Delaware Except Dover.
Idaho
Kentucky
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio is an open carry state. Open carry is not permitted in vehicles without a Concealed Handgun License.
South Dakota
Vermont
Virginia
Washington With some caveats.
Wyoming.

Of course there are municipal laws that vary in each state.

Just got my CHL today in Texas, and I don't think it should be open carry.

No reason to alarm people, just go about your business and keep your gun concealed.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Missouri is to

So is WV and Utah off the top of my head, and probably a few more. I would never have made a list unless I actually knew what I was talking about. Check your local laws.

I would say about twice a month I see someone carrying a sidearm on their hip in VA. My P32 is always in my pocket.

Last edited:
You can open carry here in MN as well, provided you have a permit to carry.

Most people incorrectly call it a "conceal and carry" permit when there's no requirement to conceal.

Add Pennsylvania. http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry

Except for:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6108: Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless: (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

To summarize, open carry is legal in Pennsylvania without a License To Carry Firearms except in "cities of the first class" (Philadelphia) and vehicles where a License To Carry Firearms is required to do so.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Open carry
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado Except Denver.
Delaware Except Dover.
Idaho
Kentucky
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio is an open carry state. Open carry is not permitted in vehicles without a Concealed Handgun License.
South Dakota
Vermont
Virginia
Washington With some caveats.
Wyoming.

Of course there are municipal laws that vary in each state.

Missouri (sorta - varies by municipality)

Have to agree with JustinH. I have had my permit for many years and I also see no need for open carry. Tends to freak folks out and I just don't see a reason for it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Just got my CHL today in Texas, and I don't think it should be open carry.

No reason to alarm people, just go about your business and keep your gun concealed.

90% of the people will never notice. And 90% of those who do notice will think you're cop. And 90% of the remaining won't care anyway. Who are you going to alarm?

Louisiana is also obviously an open carry state.

The only time I open carry is if Im forced to get gas in a very questionable neighborhood at night.

Seems to keep the druggies from asking for change.

Could also be the fact that Im a fairly large white guy who keeps his head shaved.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
www.opencarry.org orsomething like that. They have a website

Joined the forum,thanks for the link!
cheers3.gif

Pennsylvania and West Virginia are too. When I would go dirt bike riding, I would carry a Makarov on my hip. I walk into convenience stores and ride all day. I actually think the whole United States should be open carry. I think "The right to keep and bear arms" individual rights should over ride states and city laws.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I actually think the whole United States should be open carry. I think "The right to keep and bear arms" individual rights should over ride states and city laws.

^^This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back