Castrol 0w30 (German) report

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
I am very surprised that is has no moly in it, moly is almost a signature additive for Castrol as they've used it for years in their GTX oil while other companies didn't want the expense of using moly in their cheaper oils. They also use moly in their group 3 Syntec and semi syn syntec formulas.

Joey

Well, I look at it like this: the chemists who decide what goes into these oils know what they are doing, and I believe that if an oil "needs" moly, they put it in. If it doesn't, they don't.

Also posted in:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002676#000007

I think there is a high probablity that Polymer Esters (a special class of synthetic esters) are being used in this new German Syntec. The polymer ester is a special alfa-olefin-acrylic acid ester copolymer.

What leads me to that conclusion?

A paper in Lubrication Engineering describes a combination of low levels of ZDDP with polymer esters with resulting less wear than with high levels of ZDDP alone, using Falex Pin and Vee tests.

In addition, one of the author's was a German, the other British. Castrol is owned by BP, and marketed as a German Syntec!

So the combination of a boron free, overbased calcium concentrate, coupled with low levels of ZDDP and polymer esters, may give AW/EP performance commensurate with an oil that has borons, ZDDPS, and moly's.

I found it interesting that the Valve Train Wear Tests were done on a Nissan K24E engine.

[ June 27, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I think there is a high probablity that Polymer Esters (a special class of synthetic esters) are being used in this new German Syntec. The polymer ester is a special alfa-olefin-acrylic acid ester copolymer.

Take a look at this:

Ketjenlube Polymer Esters

Pretty impressive vis range: 5 cSt to 700 cSt.

So you think this is the sort of ester that gives the German Syntec its incredible pour point?

Another probable example of this base being mixed in a lube is the 0w-20 TITAN GT1 motor oil marketed by FUCHS of Germany.

NO ZINC, NO VI improvers. VI 160. 460 F flash.

They are marketing it to replace 15w-40 weight oils in PCMO gas & diesels.

FUCHS is really marketing very heavily and I wonder if they are blending this for the Castrol brand company ?

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Another probable example of this base being mixed in a lube is the 0w-20 TITAN GT1 motor oil marketed by FUCHS of Germany.

NO ZINC, NO VI improvers. VI 160. 460 F flash.

FUCHS is really marketing very heavily and I wonder if they are blending this for the Castrol brand company ?

Fuchs makes top notch oils (Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL MB was the first oil certified to the MB 229.5 spec), but I doubt if they are making the SLX 0w30 for Castrol. Castrol if fully capable of making its own "top notch" oils at the blending facility in Hamburg.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

Terry, I looked at Fuch's press release on this product and it doesn't appear that they are actually marketing the oil as a replacement for 15w40. Rather, they used 15w40 as the baseline oil for fuel economy comparisons. Here is the paragraph from the press release and it contains the only reference to 15w40:

quote:

The significant reduction of the fuel consumption evident when using TITAN GT1 is both ecologically and economically advantageous. Comprehensive tests by a German automobile manufacturer illustrate that the new engine oil reduces the fuel consumption in a petrol engine by about 6.4 percent in comparison to a conventional SAE 15W-40 engine oil. A fuel saving of up to 3.2 percent was shown when used in modern turbo-charged diesel engines.

Edit: The reference oil (RL191) for all ACEA fuel economy tests (section 2.6) is 15w40.

[ June 30, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

G-MAN II:

My Lord! I wasnt referring that far freakin back! yes i know about the original Castrol R and its roots from the castor bean, etc, etc... Next time ill write a dissertation and reference all my statement so it will be perfectly correct sot hat you will ver again take "issue" with any of my statements!

dont know why youre being picky but thats fine, not being a jerk just not in a great mood and i still stick to my opinion that Castrol has never made any real good syn oils available here in N.A. (except for old PAO/Ester stuff) until recently! At least not on this level.

Now, does DEA (the parent co. of Fuchs) actually MAKE base oils, or, are they merely a blender like Castrol? If not, and they do MAKE base oils, then perhaps Castrol is buying their base oils, or additives from DEA (Fuchs) and using it? They do this all the time ya know.

Chris, I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you. If you'd originally posted that Castrol "never really had any good syn products IN THE US," I would have more or less agreed with you. But here is what you wrote:

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Jefferson:
Unfortunately, up until recently Castrol never really had any good syn products (except old PAO stuff) ...

It seemed to me you were making a blanket statment about ALL Castrol synthetics. By bringing up Castrol R, I was merely pointing out that Castrol has a LONG history of producing excellent synthetics. And of course, it's common knowledge that the synthetics they produce in Europe today (like the one that is the subject of this thread) are among the very best.

Chris,
Castrol is not merely an oil blender. Castrol is actually a brand name owned by British Petroleum, and BP is huge in lubes in Europe.

Ken

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If they shipped the oil in bulk in a tanker, it should have picked a whole host of other, nasty items.

Me thinks they ARE producing this oil in Malaysia, as one of the "Ken's" on the board (in SE Asia) had a UOA of a Castrol 10W50 or 60 oil posted.

Perhaps it was shipped to the US in 55 gallon drums?

I had forgotten I was the first one to post a VOA of GC. And now, I'm using the "newest" GC (Edge 0w-40) in the Audi I just got.
10.gif

It is interesting to read these old threads. There is a lot of good information here; I wish I joined 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back