Removed factory fuel pump today---shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to replacing the factory fuel pump today on the 2000 Silverado. Been having fuel pick up issues when at a quarter tank. To my surprise, a red rag was wrapped around the fuel sending unit float, and the fuel pickup sock was clogged with cloth fibers. I am the original owner, and the pump has never been replaced before. This had to be from the factory because the rag was smashed under the fuel pump which is spring loaded to the bottom of the tank, it coulod not have worked it's way under there. This may explain other driveability issues I have had. While under warrantee it went back to the dealer many times for rough running and lack of power but they always blew it off as "operating as designed". This is one of the reasons I will never purchase another gm vehicle. I am new to posting pictures so I hope they show up, or the link.

That is one of the craziest stories I've ever heard. I'm glad you figured out what was really going on.

I'd be getting in touch with GM to collect on your warranty claim. The least they owe you is for your time and repeated visits, and the work you have done - since you had a valid warranty claim in the first place and they did nothing.

Wow. Buddy of mine bought a new Sunfire back in the day and not 50 miles down the road the engine blew. it turns out there was an air tool left in the crankcase from the assembly.

Might not do anything but I would take that to dealer and show the service department. I would also send pictures to GM. With all the negative stuff going on with them right now you never know what they might do. I'll bet the idiot that installed the pump in the tank laughed his a$$ off. Jerk.

send the picture to gm themselves and to your local dealer ,they might not do anything for your case but it will prevent future issue!(its probably a Friday pickup,employe shift change and forgot to remove the rag,they come like that out of the box they come from ,but empoye is supposed to remove it!probably a newby employe cause I doubt an experienced one would make this mistake!also make sure to send them the pump numbers,they can verify quality control issue at various stage

"operating as designed"! just like the ignition switch failures...

pretty amazing. gotta admit, that one would be tough to diagnose. too bad you lived with that for 14 years....

I think it is amusing that folks think incidents like this only happen at GM.

This can happen anywhere to any car manufacturer, I seriously doubt that this was deliberate, most likely an accident caused by a shift change over and or a inexperienced or new line workers.

Accidents do happen, I would contact GM and ask for a ticket to be opened on this incident since it could have caused the vehicle to stall causing an accident. My bet is they will cover the repair or replacement of the fuel pump assembly.

"New" GM wont pay,they said themselves that they are not responsible for what "Old" GM did....lol As for the stuff they are putting out now....

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I think it is amusing that folks think incidents like this only happen at GM.

This can happen anywhere to any car manufacturer, I seriously doubt that this was deliberate, most likely an accident caused by a shift change over and or a inexperienced or new line workers.

Accidents do happen, I would contact GM and ask for a ticket to be opened on this incident since it could have caused the vehicle to stall causing an accident. My bet is they will cover the repair or replacement of the fuel pump assembly.

I agree this could happen to any brand, but I am already a gm hater due to this truck and another gm vehicle and trying to deal with their smug service writers who don't know jack about the real workings of a vehicle. If the scanner doesn't show anything nothing can be wrong is their attitude. I am going to eat the cost of this replacement (Spectra Premium went in) because it isn't worth talking to those gm morons about it. Back in 03 I tried to get gm to re-purchase the vehicle through the BBB program, don't waste your time. The BBB was just a shill for the automaker. After driving my vehicle the BBB dude says there appears to be something wrong with the vehicle alright but I don't think it severely impacts the value of the vehicle, judgement for the automaker. I even had an independent dyno sheet that showed reduced power and random misfires on all cylinders, the gm dude accused me of having a friend write the report. gm is dead to me. Rant over.

@another Todd:

I don't see why you wouldn't invest a few minutes calling GM corporate and opening up a ticket on this, if corporate has a field rep check it out and they find it was an mistake from the factory they will pay for the repair. You won't be dealing directly with the dealer SW you will be dealing with the GM
rep and what they instruct the dealer to do is final. GM will pay for the repair.

On a VW I found after 40K miles that one end of a plastic hose that blows in air to the cat when its cold was caulked to the nipple with bathroom caulk. It had never been anywhere except to the dealer for the 15 or so defects the vehicle accumulated before I sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back