Coffee Grinders-- Burr vs. Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently in the market for a coffee grinder and ended up buying one of these because I was told that a burr grinder is better than a blade type.

Does anyone have an opinion on the burr vs. blade debate, and in particular, does anyone have experience with the grinder I ordered?

Thanks.

We bought the same one a couple of years ago after burning thru a couple of blade type. I am inclined to believe the burr is at least more durable. It still works great.

My blade grinder is not very good at getting a fine grind, very coarse results. You get what you pay for.

Uniformity seems to be another benefit of the burr style. I know it'll grind it up about as fine as confectioners sugar depending on how you set it
smile.gif
. I have never given the thing much thought which to me is the ultimate sign of a decent product. Honestly, I just buy Folgers but some in the house like the fancy stuff...

Last edited:
Received a Infinity conical burr grinder a couple years ago. It will make common whole bean coffee(store brand, 8 O'Clock, Community Coffee) have a more complex flavor. Grind fresh every pot and you will see the benefit. When I order some custom roasts from Old Bisbee the results are fantastic. The grinder you have a link to, is not a conical burr grinder. A conical burr turns slower and thus creates less heat when grinding, preserving coffee flavor.

I've been using a Braun burr grinder for about 16 years. It still works well. I understand that in addition to a more uniform grind, there is also less heat generated in the grinding process. The heat can accelerate the oxidation of the coffee, damaging the flavor. Or so I have been told.

I have a manual burr grinder from Turkey. To me, the biggest appeal is the fun factor of using an unconventional device to grind coffee.

I can't comment on the taste difference because we don't have a blade grinder to conduct a scientific experiment.

I have been using the Burr Grinder for the last few days and it has worked exceptionally well. The quality of the grind does seem a bit more consistent than the cheaper blade grinders I used to use.

I do have a question for you guys though. I am using a small automatic drip coffee maker with a cone-shaped filter canister. Should I err on the side of a finer grind or a coarse grind? Right now I am grinding about 6 cups worth of coffee beans to make 3.5 cups of coffee and it's getting a bit expensive. I do err on the finer side of a grind though. Suggestions?

Pre- Extract (dampen) the grinds a bit in the basket before brewing.
I do that with the Bunn machine at work ,since it dumps so much water through so quickly. Finer grind exposes more bean to the water , so it's a good step.
HTH
Jorge

I can say by far the Black and Decker Burr grinder has made a huge difference in the taste of coffee over the blade grinder. The coffee is much smoother and way less bitter

I've had both. I was recently given a relatively high-end burr grinder, and while it hasn't transformed my coffee, I really notice that I have less sludge (French press or Aeropress or percolated) and _smoother_ coffee without bitterness.

A blade grinder can't get coarse enough and consistent enough, IMO.

I *love* my AeroPress, by the way.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Any other recommendations for a reasonably priced burr grinder, apart from the one that the OP has?

I was looking into this Capresso one.

I've had that Capresso grinder for 6 years now I think. I also have their MT500 brewer. I've been very happy with it, it just works well. The only problem I've had, if you can call it that, is that some of the markings have started to wear away - had to use a Sharpie to touch up the mark on the hopper that you line up with the grind indicator. Aside from that it's been great for years of regular use, which is more than I can say for some other small household appliances.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back