by HWEaton
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
New Nitto Terra Grappler G2
by HWEaton
Yesterday at 09:33 PM
What is it with...
by Pop_Rivit
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
How important are filtering efficiency specs?
by Noey
Yesterday at 09:15 PM
WM: Tuff-Stuff cleaner $3/can (nt)
by sleddriver
Yesterday at 08:15 PM
Napa Gold Or Wix Filters?
by crazyoildude
Yesterday at 07:55 PM
2013 Mazda 3 SkyActiv, M1 AFE 0w-20, 12,832 miles
by The Critic
Yesterday at 07:50 PM
How To Professionally Detail A Vehicle
by Warstud
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
before and after (hood pics)
by ram_man
Yesterday at 07:44 PM
Marathon Gas, fuel quality
by wemay
Yesterday at 07:11 PM
05 Silverado 5.3 UOA
by Wills05
Yesterday at 07:03 PM
Newest Members
rmp, PAssatGuy, mcn1970, KCChemist, bbuice
51461 Registered Users
Who's Online
34 registered (CATERHAM, 147_Grain, bsigg, Apollo14, carmine_ricca, 5 invisible), 790 Guests and 150 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51461 Members
64 Forums
220101 Topics
3475854 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3392093 - 06/08/14 10:39 AM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
Trav Offline

Loc: MA, Mittelfranken.de
I don't think its anything to do with the ABS, IIRC there is no mechanical check of the system that would be audible just an electronic check which is complete when the ABS light goes off.
AIR pumps can make a lot of noise when worn and it is located on the driver side under the side of the front bumper.

The only cars i can remember that made hydraulic cycling noises was the Citroen's, the old DS, CX and SM cars especially were an orchestra of knocks, clicks and double clicks but nothing like that on US cars.

Testing the AIR pump is easy enough just jump the relay, also check any solenoids in the system as they can make noise also.
I don't want to send you down a path with this thought, its a way off guess looking for the obscure nothing more.

You need a second person, start the car cold with the hood open let it run a min or two while you listen then have someone put it in drive and hold the brake (e brake on) and keep listening for a few min.

I cant thing of anything that would give three distinct knocks in this engine internally then stop but externally mounted solenoids and other parts could, it could also be in the transmission but that would be remote.
Next time your at the red light where is usually does this put it in neutral and see if there is any difference.

Diagnosing something like this is a difficult enough when you have the car in front of you on a message board its darn near impossible except for endless guessing.
I think the ARX is just a coincidence unless it was a lifter or something but that shouod be a noise easy enough to identify.

#3395293 - 06/12/14 12:58 AM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
npfd Offline

Loc: Canada
Thank you very much again Trav,

I will have to look into testing out the air pump, as for someone to listen in on the issues will be hard...

I tried it in neutral while waiting at the light, same knock.. actually now I notice that he first knock sounds a little different than the next two which are identical to each other.

Sure, rods, or worn valves can't make this sound...

Tongiht was louder, cause the temp was 15 degrees celsius.... with it 25+ knock is much fainter and quicker sounding...

hehe yes diagnosing via forum is hard...

Thank you again

#3395310 - 06/12/14 02:34 AM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
MDettling Offline

Loc: Oregon
A/C compressor? Just a shot in the dark.

#3400227 - 06/17/14 11:38 PM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
npfd Offline

Thank you for the reply... I had the A/C refilled a tad due to it not working as well..... and I did see some spray marks around it this passed spring....

I did try with the AC engaged, and still heard the knocks....

I will have to look into things a bit more.. thanks... would it be a rod?

#3400235 - 06/17/14 11:57 PM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
Clevy Offline

Loc: Saskatoon canada
Could it be the knock sensor testing the fuel octane by advancing timing til knock is audible then retarding it?

I'm thinking the engine has significant carbon accumulation in the combustion chambers which is raising compression,so at start up when the ecu isn't reading the o2 sensors the stock timing is too much so once knock is heard timing is adjusted?

Just throwing out ideas.

#3401916 - 06/20/14 12:03 AM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
npfd Offline

Thank you Clevy for the input....

Could be a possibility just not sure on how to go about testing the knock sensor...

I thought it could be the combustion chamber.. ran BG 44k, once, and the oil level dropped, ran lucas upper lube, and ran the Techron 2 times so far, might do a third soon...

I did read online of a Red Line, additive.. how would that be?

Thank you

#3401930 - 06/20/14 12:46 AM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
Clevy Offline

Loc: Saskatoon canada
Originally Posted By: npfd
Thank you Clevy for the input....

Could be a possibility just not sure on how to go about testing the knock sensor...

I thought it could be the combustion chamber.. ran BG 44k, once, and the oil level dropped, ran lucas upper lube, and ran the Techron 2 times so far, might do a third soon...

I did read online of a Red Line, additive.. how would that be?

Thank you

Look at the mds of the products your interested in. There is a product called "guaranteed to pass" with 25-35% amines,so if the redline or techron branded stuff is less concentrated I'd try to find gtp instead.
Or double dose weaker stuff.
For significant build up 1 tank won't be enough and I'd even consider a piston soak via a vacuum line with mmo or something.

Again,just ideas,

#3441232 - 07/31/14 12:07 AM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
npfd Offline

another not so good update, after about 1.5 months i had to add oil from one bar to 4....

After we had some rain, then washed the car, noticable oil spots on the driveway, rear part of engine..
When it rained, had the car nosed in, washed, car reversed in...

Since we got the car I've noticed it being 'wet' around the oil filter adaptor, in recent times, about a year, valve covers, bottom sides of engine a bit...

I notice more oil 'usage' in summer than in winter... pcv was changed in 2012 January... maybe try changing to another one..

Whenever I added the techron, I noticed a different smell on startup, as approaching the car...

thanks

#3441326 - 07/31/14 06:24 AM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
moklock Offline

Loc: FL
Sounds exactly like the noisy vent valve Saturn VUEs commonly did, but that part is at the rear of the vehicle. Same scenario though, drive off in cooler weather come to a first stop- three knocks. The vent valve circuit being tested. Its supposed to be silent but the valves get noisy after awhile.

Could be some other solenoid underhood like the purge doing the same thing.

#3498402 - 09/30/14 10:55 PM Re: three knocks heard at idle after sitting overnight [Re: npfd]
npfd Offline

Thank you Moklock,

I noticed a few weeks ago, I heard the first know then got on the gas to accelerate and didn't hear the rest.

I could be making things up, but its not the first time I've had my head, turned left, and heard the knock from the back of the car.

Unless its the solenoid getting stuck?

The exhaust smells on startup, even reversing into the cloud of it.. unless there's a small leak somewhere..

Thank you

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2