Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi "29662",

It's all good, "full disclosures..." are good for the soul.

I like all bikes and for what I spent on my Road King, I want 100k mile out of it.

I also ride a 2001 Honda Valkyrie, great bike, 33,000 trouble free miles, the only repair was 1 fork seal.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
Hi "29662",

It's all good, "full disclosures..." are good for the soul.

I like all bikes and for what I spent on my Road King, I want 100k mile out of it.

I also ride a 2001 Honda Valkyrie, great bike, 33,000 trouble free miles, the only repair was 1 fork seal.

If I were ever to get a cruiser it would be a Valkyrie Rune. Love the look of the bike even though I'm a "zoom splat" rider.

The Valk is an over priced piece of Milwaukee junk! Oh, sorry that's the description for Harleys....my bad!

THey're nice. But they don't do it for me like the Rune does. But I'm a sportbike rider, I like my bikes "clothed".lol...

Originally Posted By: 29662
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Now for something that proves all the Harley hater's wrong. You won't find a metric bike with these miles on it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/46024032.html

I think you missed the penultimate paragraph:

"He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs."

So each engine/rebuild/refurbish lasted less than 100k miles. Doesn't seem like a particularly good machine to me. Proves what I wrote earlier, Harleys can't go 100k without a rebuild and any that do are the exception rather than the rule. Thanks for the fodder, and helping me prove my point.

And let's not forget that this same guy is being denied a warranty claim. Because he had too many flags. ROFLMAO!!!

Overpriced Milwaukee junk.
Ok big time sportbike guy, show proof that a sportbike of any brand ever went 500k miles on a single never been rebuilt motor. You guys crack me up spouting garbage about how much better your 926meieio model bikes are then Harley's. The only problem is they won't be made long enough to prove any of it. Even the mfgrs don't have enough faith in them to keep them in production.The only use for them is making those hysterical u-tube videos where your wiping out doing wheelies, or trying to stop on the front tire. Really it never gets old watching zoom- splats biting the dust.,,

I rode a Suzuki 1982 GS1100E for years, wished I kept it.

Ha yeah I remember those. Heavy machines if my memory serves. Great engine though.
I have a Sportster at the moment and love it.
It's been reliable over 37k miles, didn't cost me much to buy and is easily serviced at home by me.
Belt drive is clean and reliable.
Fuel economy is outstanding.
Handling is not that bad.
I have no idea if it'll do 100k mi but really don't lose any sleep over it.

An ex-neighbor of mine (RIP) had a Twin Cam with over 100k miles on it. Nothing special maintenance-wise, but he was a Schaeffer Oil man for everything, including his bikes, and kept it in bulk on the farm. Not sure where the bike is going now; probably to a sibling or something.

My brother has a friend in S. Dakota with an Evo with over 100k. Again, nothing special I know of, maintenance-wise, but he's a Royal Purple fan.

The highest-mileage sport bike I know of was a Honda CBR600F4i with 177k miles and no significant engine work (excepting perhaps a cam chain tensioner replacement? Those are common failures on that series). Sadly, after going years without laying one down, he crashed a couple times in a relatively short span, and as I recall is was too broken to put back together. http://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/well-i-did-little-asphalt-surfing-morning-104135/#post866725

THey're nice. But they don't do it for me like the Rune does. But I'm a sportbike rider, I like my bikes "clothed".lol...

Try a Burgman Executive 650.
smile.gif
Fully faired, storage to match a touring bike with side boxes, and will cruise all day at 90mph.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Not a Harley but the most miles I have ever seen on a bike with the original drive train.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889016

Not sure, but I THINK that's the same dude who recently retired a 2006 Burgman 650 with 179,000 miles.

I fully expect 100k from my Burgy unless it gets wrecked. Liz's Hyo won't...I can't imagine a 250cc air-cooled screamer going that long.

I rode a Suzuki 1982 GS1100E for years, wished I kept it.

Only problem with the old GS Suzukis were the stators and rectifiers tend to die often on many of them.

It amazes me that when someone comes on here and asks about a Harley Davidson that there is always Harley bashing by folks that don't own one and really have no business posting about how bad they claim them to be.

I'm not a fan of certain makes of cars, trucks or motorcycles.....but I don't reply to a thread on any of those makes.

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
It amazes me that when someone comes on here and asks about a Harley Davidson that there is always Harley bashing by folks that don't own one and really have no business posting about how bad they claim them to be.

I'm not a fan of certain makes of cars, trucks or motorcycles.....but I don't reply to a thread on any of those makes.

Hehehe.

It's very common here for folks to post on products they've never used nor have any experience with.
You get used to it. The same guys saying the same thing over and over,never actually trying or using anything they seem to be experts on.
I find it amusing actually,like a clown.
I will extend a thank you for not posting in those situations. If some others followed your lead I doubt very much we'd see threads devolve or get locked.
So much for "learning"

I would say Ive turned more wrenches on more bikes thab 99.99% of these forums. Even though it was an import shop, I can count the number of actual repairs on two hands. As for harleys, we did have the occasional one come in for bearing replacements to run honda bearings instead...but dont tell anyone lol

Anything will last if serviced.

My sidekick for example, will never have a timing belt or waterpump failure. Why? I replace them every 60-80k whether it needs it or not. Along with...hoses, brakes, any any other wear items I spot.

I like always having something to tinker with.

Some bike riders do the same. Theur bikes usually, mysteriously, last a long long time seemingly trouble free.

Now for something that proves all the Harley hater's wrong. You won't find a metric bike with these miles on it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/46024032.html

I think you missed the penultimate paragraph:

"He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs."

So each engine/rebuild/refurbish lasted less than 100k miles. Doesn't seem like a particularly good machine to me. Proves what I wrote earlier, Harleys can't go 100k without a rebuild and any that do are the exception rather than the rule. Thanks for the fodder, and helping me prove my point.

And let's not forget that this same guy is being denied a warranty claim. Because he had too many flags. ROFLMAO!!!

Overpriced Milwaukee junk.
Ok big time sportbike guy, show proof that a sportbike of any brand ever went 500k miles on a single never been rebuilt motor. You guys crack me up spouting garbage about how much better your 926meieio model bikes are then Harley's. The only problem is they won't be made long enough to prove any of it. Even the mfgrs don't have enough faith in them to keep them in production.The only use for them is making those hysterical u-tube videos where your wiping out doing wheelies, or trying to stop on the front tire. Really it never gets old watching zoom- splats biting the dust.,,

That's not how it works. I'm not the one making the claims that my bike is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you are. Therefore the burden of proof doesn't lie with me, the onus is on you my man. But I'll indulge and educate you.

The reason that models change every few years is called "innovation". As technologies change and improve so do the models. There are plenty of examples of Metric bikes being ridden into the hundreds of thousands of miles. There are several who frequently post UOA's here on BITOG.

Pointing to the idiots who stunt on the street and trying to categorize them as a the typical sportbike rider is inaccurate, some of us just like the insane speeds. That would be like me saying that all Hardley riders go around replete in overpriced Hardley gear looking like a bunch of gay pirates, oh wait; never mind.
blush.gif

I have refuted most of the things that you have stated with facts. If you want to talk about some of the shortcomings of Harley engines lets talk about the '99-'06 TC engines that often "blow up" at 20-30k miles because as the spring loaded cam chain follower fails it sheds plastic material that fouls the rotary gear oil pump cutting off oil flow to the engine causing sudden catastrophic engine failure and destruction. This is well documented. The'07+ motors are not much better with their hydraulic system. And these failures are NOT covered by Harley's warranty. I could continue ad nauseam.

My point is that for the insane amount of money that Harley's cost they have a poor design, poor build quality, and an atrocious warranty policy and customer service. I"ll pass thank you very much.

And that's MR ZOOM SPLAT to you sir.
cool.gif

Last edited:

What "gets my goat" is all of the fallacies and inaccuracies that are spread by the "faithful" in order to placate themselves.

But it's ok for you to spread fallacies and inaccuracies to placate yourself?
Harleys can't go 100k without a rebuild and any that do are the exception rather than the rule.

That's complety false. I know a person that has 2 HDs with over 100,000 miles. Google 100,000 mile Harley, and you get multiple links. It can and does happen.

I have a 2007 Dyna, and don't see any reason why it won't go for 100K miles. Remember, it's an air cooled engine. The best way to do it is to leave the engine as stock as possible. Extra heat from go-fast parts will kill an air cooled engine. Mine is stock except for slip-on mufflers and a Hayden auto primary chain tensioner to replace the ratcheting H-D one that can cause transmission bearings to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back