Porsche Classic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Thanks for that, Doug. I never tire of hearing the history.

Same here Doug, Thank You

I saw an add for this not too terribly long ago in one of my Porsche mags.

Anyway, I'm using Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 20w-50; but according to this new information I guess I should get some 10w-60 (3.2L 1985). A good buddy has a 1993 3.6L and we both use the same stuff.

So should we change to 10w-60; and, if so do I pay the Porsche price or go with Castrol EDGE or LiquiMoly? Or Total 9000 10w-50 or Motul 15w-50?

Just curious....

BytorJr it depends on how hot your oil gets.
Yes I would be inclined to use the higher VI synthetic 10W-60 or Total 10W-50 if you can maintain the spec' oil pressure.
MY 1985 is not all that old so using modern high detergent oils is not a problem. And if you have plenty of viscosity reserve you may even be able to run a 40 grade oil like M1 0W-40, again assuming you can maintain adequate OP when the oil is as hot as it ever gets.

It's a pretty fresh rebuild (< 5K miles but almost 6 years ago.), 3 or 4 track events; but I don't drive it much anymore (sadly) and it has shown it is a true Porsche air-cooled motor (an ever so slight leak at the oil return tube). Unfortunately, it set idle for a while during my mom's hospitalization.

Oh, and I have a massive MOCAL mounted in front (not fender) that keeps oil < 210 at track temps. Generally right at the 186 mark when thermostat opens. So no oil temp issues here.

Since you've got your oil temp's so well controlled and the engine's freshly rebuilt, M1 0W-40 or even Castrol 0W-30 would likely be good engine lube choices.
Or if you're into something a bit more exotic with higher ZDDP and moly levels, your could try Red Line 0W-30 or a blend of their 0W-20 and 0W-40 determined by oil pressure.

I had a 930 for quite a while, 3.3 Ltr engine. I used RS 10W60 in it and never had any trouble with oil pressure, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the same oil as the SG rated RS which is now obsolete and hard to find.

What year was your 930? A guy three doors down from my parents had a '79 when I was growing up. I got to ride in it a couple of times, what a car.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I had a 930 for quite a while, 3.3 Ltr engine. I used RS 10W60 in it and never had any trouble with oil pressure, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the same oil as the SG rated RS which is now obsolete and hard to find.

Originally Posted By: ianj3vr6
Hey All,

I hope this is not a redundant post. But, the Porsche Classic dept just recently released 2 different grades specifically designed for all air-cooled Porsche engines. Hopefully I've summed it up correctly:

Mineral based 20w-50 (All engines up to 3L in displacement)

that's funny, I always ran 20w50 in my 1600cc VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back