Is Royal Purple worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Man thats gotta HURT all the RP haters!
lol.gif

"haters" really adds strength to any argument don't you think ?

add "burn" and "hurt", and people have really learned a lesson.

I'm comfortable with coffee grounds and ball bearings with my current filter selection.

I've got a nice stash of RP, SL with Synerlec, and I'll start using it on my next OCI. I've used the oil in some neighbors vehicles with no complaints. I was fortunate since the RP 5w-30, API-SL was purchased via Amazon, when they were clearing out the gallons and all of the API-SL, Amazon really gave me a great deal on the gallon clearance.

IMO....RP plus their free filter on Amazon, or Pep boys, for under $40 is a very good deal!

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
RP API + an RP filter for $39.99 is an excellent deal. The filter itself is usually $15. So that makes the 5qts just $24.99. That is Wal-Mart 5qt jug price on the name brand oils that everyone is always saying is the holy grail of oil pricing.

At that price, I'd probably use nothing but!
wink.gif

Up here, at least, its regular price isn't bad. At most retail places, it's priced between M1 and M1 EP. Of course, rollbacks are rare. I do get it cheaper though at my supplier, and then it's more in line with the regular M1 price.

Why not just get M1 or PP at Walmart? Its cheaper and probably better. And you can choose your filter.

I have never used RP so I cannot say anything good or bad about it as an oil, but I suspect you can get better oil for less at Walmart.

Maybe some are anti-Walmart people?

Well guys, on Amazon I can get 5 quarts of RP 0w20 AND the RP filter for $29! Oil is on sale, filter is FREE AND I have some rewards cash to spend on Amazon. So this is certainly a good deal. Not sure if I will jump on it quite yet though...not hearing many good things about it from you guys. Plus my oil change is 4 months away still =/

Just bought some REAL synthetic oil for my Fit with factory filter just under 31 dollars for 5 qts. Don't know if Id like it yet but surely a relative bargain for a majority ISO paraffin syn base - if it works.

Ive read that "Synerlec" in the "street/Race" oils has WAY too much sulfur in the compounding for long drain PCMO use - unless you like acid formation and rapid depletion of Ca overbase. Haven't see a long UOA across cold winter with and acid number to confirm this hypothesis.

Who makes RP oil?
Is RP just a blender that adds purple dye to the oil ?
I think Champ lab makes their filters but I may be wrong

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Who makes RP oil?
Is RP just a blender that adds purple dye to the oil ?
I think Champ lab makes their filters but I may be wrong

RP got bought out awhile back. Not sure who owns/makes it now. It used to be a Texas owned/operated company. Their bottles were even made in Schulenburg,Tx.

I remember back in the sixties their was an oil called Royal Triton that was purple in color also
I wonder if this oil became RP

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I remember back in the sixties their was an oil called Royal Triton that was purple in color also
I wonder if this oil became RP

I used Royal Triton for a while in the late 60s. It was Purple.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Well guys, on Amazon I can get 5 quarts of RP 0w20 AND the RP filter for $29! Oil is on sale, filter is FREE AND I have some rewards cash to spend on Amazon. So this is certainly a good deal. Not sure if I will jump on it quite yet though...not hearing many good things about it from you guys. Plus my oil change is 4 months away still =/

I just went to see if this deal is legit, and my total for a 5 quart jug of 0W-20 and a filter is $59.45 after the filter discount. That includes $18.86 for shipping. Totally not worth it.

Even if shipping was free, it's still over $40.

For that price I can get two... yes two jugs of mobil1 0w40 or 15w50 at ny lical walmart.

I wont buy anything else from them, but oil prices are cheap.

Additionally, I can get my denso filters for 3 bucks, or a filter that favors filtration over flow instead...for 3.78.

Used to use royal purple in my xb occasionally, wasnt any different than anything else.

Its a very good price, really. The oil (assuming its their API series) is very good- not worth spending big bucks for, but if you're getting 5 quarts+filter for ~40 bucks, that's a pretty good deal for a synthetic oil. I compare it favorably to M1 and PU if you can get it for the same price.

The clincher is the filter. Its the best on the market, IMO. The Fram Ultra is close and usually wins on price, but the RP and Amsoil EAO are two that I think are clearly better than even the Ultra (thicker case, all metal including the bypass valve, full synthetic highly efficient wire-backed media.).

I think RP SL version was the good stuff. I consider RP SN to be "RP light". I think the boutique was eliminated from this oil. Still a good choice but it was better before.

BITOG is a great site, but its STILL the wrong place to go for RP info. For some reason that remains unknown, RP will never get fair treatment from many posters here.

Many will say its "no better than x-y-z oil" but do they offer any proof to back that up? Most have never even used it, but yet they jump on the anti-RP bandwagon. Now they can't even admit the pricing they love to complain about so much is great!

I don't listen to all their mindless hatred of RP, and you should not either. 5 qts + RP filter (possibly the single best filter ever on the market) is a KILLER DEAL.
thumbsup2.gif

Sums it up very well. BITOG is anti RP almost to the core and 99% of it is from people who haven't even used it. Despite this being an oil site where you should get good info this is NOT the place to ask about RP.

Best bet for real RP feedback is to go to most any automotive forum where you will read overwhelmingly positive feedback on it from people who actually use it.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its a very good price, really. The oil (assuming its their API series) is very good- not worth spending big bucks for, but if you're getting 5 quarts+filter for ~40 bucks, that's a pretty good deal for a synthetic oil. I compare it favorably to M1 and PU if you can get it for the same price.

The clincher is the filter. Its the best on the market, IMO. The Fram Ultra is close and usually wins on price, but the RP and Amsoil EAO are two that I think are clearly better than even the Ultra (thicker case, all metal including the bypass valve, full synthetic highly efficient wire-backed media.).

That is the one thing I don't like about Fram filters,the thin case.

I simply do not understand the need to get one's kickers knotted up over something as meaningless as a brand of oil. Royal Purple is probably quite good, but for the vast majority of the driving public, in terms of engine longevity, it offers no real benefit over less expensive conventional oils (with the exception of engines that specify a synthetic oil). That includes the overpriced Royal Purple filter.

But if thumping your chest over your lifelong choice of a single brand makes you happy, by all means continue. But don't get your undies twisted when others (myself included) choose a more cost effective solution and prefer to define ourselves by something a bit more more significant.

All the stuff about the color and scent are just infantile as well. Just amazes me the hate for RP on this site.

Interesting comment considering which person is throwing a hissy fit over something as puerile as oil.

BITOG is a great site, but its STILL the wrong place to go for RP info. For some reason that remains unknown, RP will never get fair treatment from many posters here.

Many will say its "no better than x-y-z oil" but do they offer any proof to back that up? Most have never even used it, but yet they jump on the anti-RP bandwagon. Now they can't even admit the pricing they love to complain about so much is great!

I don't listen to all their mindless hatred of RP, and you should not either. 5 qts + RP filter (possibly the single best filter ever on the market) is a KILLER DEAL.
thumbsup2.gif

Sums it up very well. BITOG is anti RP almost to the core and 99% of it is from people who haven't even used it. Despite this being an oil site where you should get good info this is NOT the place to ask about RP.

Best bet for real RP feedback is to go to most any automotive forum where you will read overwhelmingly positive feedback on it from people who actually use it.

Seems to be more options and marketing every day. "*insert brand* oil is the best because *insert single reason/opinion/marketing*

Cleaning and NOACK are the words of the year.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: gregk24

I just went to see if this deal is legit, and my total for a 5 quart jug of 0W-20 and a filter is $59.45 after the filter discount. That includes $18.86 for shipping. Totally not worth it.

Even if shipping was free, it's still over $40.

Well I don't know where you went but my oil and filter came to 39. After my credit card points it put it at 29.

Every year in late Nov early Dec, autozones near where I live have this sale where some of their slow moving oils are discounted. Last year I got synthetic castrol edge, Quaker state, and Penz platinum for $3 a quart. I bought enough for 8 oil changes. I would never buy RP at retail prices or even the on going sale right now, but if they are $3 a quart, I would buy it up. So, I'm not a RP hater, I just want to try and save some cash when I can, especially when I can get the same product or better for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back