Would you buy a brand new 22 year old car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe. Hope the title didn't confuse you too much.

1_Tsuru_nissan_exterior_thumb.jpg

http://www.nissan.com.mx/autos/tsuru

Quote:
The Mexican-built Sentra B13 is still sold in Mexico as well as parts of Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Central America and South America. It's called the Nissan Tsuru in Mexico, Nissan V16 in Chile, known as Sentra B13 in Central America countries. and Sentra Clásico in Peru and the Dominican Republic. Tsuru vehicles destined for the Mexican market were modified by Nissan de Mexico specifically for the Mexican market and for the most part are identical to the 1991 model except for a new Renault clutch/transmission, updated Mexican made electronic systems and minor cosmetic and ergonomic upgrades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Sentra#Nissan_Tsuru.2FV16_.281992.E2.80.93present.29

Video tour of a 2013 Model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51MDdSJKLR4

If the pricing was fair, I'd love to drive around in a newly built car from old school technology. The Wikipedia article explains that you can actually drive these in the US if you are a Mexican foreign national.

In Asian countries: they were named Nissan Sunny.

Old technologies, hate the seatings though (bad front lumbar support), some like them, others don't.

They are now only sold in other parts of the world partly because of the old technology, and yesteryear safety standards....which not applicable to many developing countries.

Q.

I had a 1992 Model a few years back. Couldn't stand it.. poor thing was ragged out and was the only car I didn't really care for. Usually I get attached to my vehicles and this one was an exception.

No, that is the worst car in the history of the universe.

And even if you are considering one, you just need to watch this to convince you otherwise

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Darwin1138

And even if you are considering one, you just need to watch this to convince you otherwise

That's one way to cut down on texting & driving.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Why not buy a Hindustan Ambassador, previously a British Morris Oxford, same car built in India since 1958. 1950s technology!

Can you import one ? How would you get around the epa and registration?

There used to be a grand tradition of building obsolete first world cars in less developed nations.
It apparently continues.
For a sufficiently low price for someone wanting no more than basic transport, why not?

if you plan for accident?might want to stay on foot ,otherwise ,they were good car but don't forget to do something to prevent rust and you ll have a good car for a long time!nissan,honda,mazda,toyota and all japanes based car are decent ,better then this ?(high miller)diesel from vw or its Mexican version

We had a 1993 Nissan Sentra GXE back in the mid 1990s 'till 2001. We actually preferred it over the 2001 that replaced it.

I had a 1991 Sentra and I really loved that POS tin can. You'd sign a death wish if you drive that thing like an idiot. I would buy one as a "new" old car.

Up until a couple of years ago, VW was still manufacturing & selling air cooled Beetles in Mexico. These cars could not be imported and licensed/titled in the US as they did not comply with emissions, safety, and other modern US standards. There were a few enterprising individuals who tried to make a business out of importing them and installing VIN tags taken from defunct/derelict 1960's and 1970's vintage Beetles, then using the corresponding defunct/derelict car's titles, they were able to sell what amounted to brand new "1968" (or 69 or 70 or whatever) Beetles. In short order the government caught on to this and a number of people were heavily fined, making this a no-profit business. The government then went out and found every one of those cars and confiscated them from the end users.
The Mexicans are obviously not too choosy about the cheap cars that they buy.

Last edited:
2200 lbs, no stupid ABS, cheap tires, great visibility around thin A-pillars. No OBD-II, possibility of motor hop-ups, I love the idea!

Originally Posted By: wag123
Up until a couple of years ago, VW was still manufacturing & selling air cooled Beetles in Mexico. These cars could not be imported and licensed/titled in the US as they did not comply with emissions, safety, and other modern US standards. There were a few enterprising individuals who tried to make a business out of importing them and installing VIN tags taken from defunct/derelict 1960's and 1970's vintage Beetles, then using the corresponding defunct/derelict car's titles, they were able to sell what amounted to brand new "1968" (or 69 or 70 or whatever) Beetles. In short order the government caught on to this and a number of people were heavily fined, making this a no-profit business. The government then went out and found every one of those cars and confiscated them from the end users.
The Mexicans are obviously not too choosy about the cheap cars that they buy.

While I understand the idea behind safety mandates (protect the unknowing), I wish cars like this could be legally sold and titled in the US with some sort of waiver...pretty much have the end user agree that they are aware of the risks of using a vehicle that does not meet current safety standards and that the vehicle will not be used in a commercial setting, where someone unaware may have to drive it as part of their job. I think it would be cool to have "new old" stuff like this and those Chinese Jeep Cherokees available to people who really want them.

Then again, I see more old vehicles on the roads now more than ever, even with cash for clunkers, high scrap prices, and people being all about the latest in-car screen. I was young in 1994 (7), but old enough to be very aware of different vehicles. 20 year old vehicles were uncommon then unless they were a 1/2 ton or larger truck. Hardly ever saw a Vega, Pinto, or even an LTD or Impala. Now, I can't throw a rock without hitting something from 1994...then again moving to AL may have something to do with that since there are no inspections here...if it moves, drive it.

If I could buy a new:

Suzuki samurai
Suzuki sidekick
Chevrolet 63 impala ss
Lincoon continental 67
ford sedan 42
Lamborghini muira

...and the list goes on.

If you mean barn finds, ubfortunateky even brand new requires service.

Ive got a 1986 350x crate motor sitting in my laundry room. Needs... clutch fivers, piston rings, seals.

More work than you might think.

My current car is still sold new in south america and Indonesia, Ive considered buying a beater in the US, driving down, swapping vin plates with a new one, and driving back.

Abandon the old one down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back