Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube, and noticed he commented that you shouldn't use MMO in a modern car because it ruins the catalytic converter. Is there any truth to this?

coffee2.gif
->>
35.gif
-->>
36.gif
-->
04.gif

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
I usually watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube, and noticed he commented that you shouldn't use MMO in a modern car because it ruins the catalytic converter. Is there any truth to this?

Frank (Demarpaint) has been using this stuff for years and AFAIK hasn't put a cat in anything yet.
Lets not turn this into a snake or or not thread, that always goes downhill fast.
The answer to your question is no it wont ruin the cat when used as directed.

I understand that all MMO is really just a diesel or kerosene type product which serves as a good cleaner in engines and fuel systems.

I know several mechanics that will only use this product when flushing out a sludgy engine. Sure, they say that Seafoam and other similar products are better at dissolving sludge. They work too well and break off large pieces all at once where they can clog critical oil passages or get into bearing surfaces and ruin them. MMO is a gentle flush so don't expect it to clean the engine out in one flush. It takes time. Basically you want the sludge out of the engine but getting it out all at once can do more harm than just leaving it be.

If you use it in the oil- no problem. If you put it in fuel, it does a number of questionable things, such as put a heavier unburned HC load on the catalyst, CAUSE carbon build-up on exhaust valves, lower effective octane, etc. AFAIK, it doesn't have anything that will outright poison a catalyst (tetraethyllead, methyl manganese tricarbonyl, other metallic compounds), but the added HC load doesn't help it.

Scotty Kilmer lost a lot of respect from me when he made a video about fixing brake lines and he used a compression fitting. He has also mentioned that he like Lucas products...
15.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What's MMO?

Marvel Mystery Oil

dang i just watched the new xmen, they really are everywhere...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RobertISaar
kilmer also recommend dumping in a gallon of acetone(i think) into the fuel to "fix" cat efficiency codes, rather than fixing the actual issue.

That one has been around forever. Along with dumping straight alcohol into the tank of something that can't pass a sniff test.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What's MMO?

Marvel Mystery Oil

dang i just watched the new xmen, they really are everywhere...

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Unsure if it will ruin the cat, but its snake oil for sure!

Certainly, as said in another thread, there is no concrete proof it does anything.

Originally Posted By: JR
LOL. i have been using it for a decade or better, never have had a problem.
ken

Lack of harm does not equal proof of benefit.

Cars have also been driven for decades without using it and run just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: JR
LOL. i have been using it for a decade or better, never have had a problem.
ken

Lack of harm does not equal proof of benefit.

You mean like that snake oil that gave you more MPG at idle.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back