Recent Topics
Amsoil Powersports 5w50?
by offroad1
30 minutes 25 seconds ago
Ebay oil filters
by Rat407
40 minutes 26 seconds ago
Restore discs - Macrium Reflect or Lenovo's own?
by 97tbird
44 minutes 31 seconds ago
2009 Civic 1.8L rough idle with the AC on
by Doog
Today at 09:24 AM
Girlfriend buying 2015 Subaru Forrester, 6-manual
by k24a4
Today at 08:06 AM
Pur 1 - 4,000 miles - hole in bottom
by thomasew
Today at 07:36 AM
insert image into post
by thomasew
Today at 06:53 AM
Happy Birthday Pablo
by Shannow
Today at 06:38 AM
My Father's new toy! (Alfa Romeo Spyder)
by Patman
Today at 06:37 AM
Algerian airliner goes missing...
by Shannow
Today at 06:36 AM
Mt. Washington
by Pablo
Today at 06:35 AM
Cooking alcohol.
by Silk
Today at 05:44 AM
Newest Members
Patrick0525, offroad1, cnowak1, Dave13, HuskyPilot
50737 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (97tbird, 123Saab, 01_celica_gt, 05LGTLtd, 137_Trenton, 10 invisible), 1908 Guests and 240 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
50737 Members
64 Forums
216715 Topics
3411037 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#3392971 - 06/09/14 11:37 AM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: Mephy]
kschachn Offline

Loc: Upper Midwest
Why would you think that? Is that a manufacturer's claim for the product?

Originally Posted By: Mephy
I use it in the fuel sometimes.

The ratio is very lean 1:800.

I think the main beneficial effect is that better the atomization of fuel.

I do not believe higher dosage will do better.

I see It just as fuel conditioner.
2000 Toyota ECHO, 222K

#3393807 - 06/10/14 09:28 AM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: kschachn]
Mephy Offline

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why would you think that? Is that a manufacturer's claim for the product?

Originally Posted By: Mephy
I use it in the fuel sometimes.

The ratio is very lean 1:800.

I think the main beneficial effect is that better the atomization of fuel.

I do not believe higher dosage will do better.

I see It just as fuel conditioner.

No,

from my experience, I have better combustion.

I can see from the mileage, the performance of the car and the cleanliness of the exhausting pipe.
20.000 km OCI.
One bottle of PI before OCI.
Amsoil Interceptor 800:1 each tank

#3397046 - 06/13/14 10:39 PM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: MileHigh18]
friendly_jacek Offline

Loc: southeast US
Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
I usually watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube, and noticed he commented that you shouldn't use MMO in a modern car because it ruins the catalytic converter. Is there any truth to this?

Yes. 1000 ppm P. P poisons cat converter.

#3397203 - 06/14/14 06:56 AM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: friendly_jacek]
dave5358 Offline

Loc: North Bend
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I usually watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube, and noticed he commented that you shouldn't use MMO in a modern car because it ruins the catalytic converter. Is there any truth to this?

If you check the FAQ on the MMO Website it says:

Q: Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?

A: No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters.

#3397381 - 06/14/14 12:20 PM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: dave5358]
friendly_jacek Offline

Loc: southeast US
Originally Posted By: dave5358

If you check the FAQ on the MMO Website it says:

Q: Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?

A: No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters.

I don't know how they "tested" and I don't care what they say.
Facts speak for themselves. The damage could be slow and may take more than 100,000 miles to declare itself.

If one has to have add things to gasoline, there are things that don't have sulfur or phosphorus.

I'm not bashing MMO, I use it for piston soaks when needed.

#3397390 - 06/14/14 12:35 PM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: MileHigh18]
demarpaint Offline

Loc: NY
I had a little over 212,000 miles when I junked my Aerostar. I used MMO in the gas since I bought it with about 50K miles on it. It went to the junk yard with the original CC and 02 sensor. My 88 E-150 was fed MMO via an inverse oiler since it was about 6 months old, I think. The original CC is still in there as well. I did change the 02 sensor although it wasn't needed. I've used it in the gas in other vehicles as well since the mid 70's. Honestly I believe them when they say is is CC and O2 sensor safe. Opinions vary.

#3397463 - 06/14/14 03:11 PM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: friendly_jacek]
dave5358 Offline

Loc: North Bend
I don't know how they "tested" and I don't care what they say.
Facts speak for themselves. The damage could be slow and may take more than 100,000 miles to declare itself. If one has to have add things to gasoline, there are things that don't have sulfur or phosphorus.

Per the administrator over at MarvelMysteryOil.com the sulfer content is 1.6ppm. Gasoline in California is 30ppm sulfur; in the rest of the country it may be as high as 300ppm. MMO suggests not using their products in diesel engines build after 2007 - which engines are designed to use super-low sulfur (15ppm) fuel. The concern is that it might affect the vehicle's warranty - nothing else.

The phosphorous is Tricresyl Phosphate, an organophosphate - a very good AW/EP additive, which is also in most motor oils. The TCP content is slightly higher than most motor oils, but given the low MMO fuel additive rate, it's unclear why this would have an adverse effect (or any effect) on the cat.

If using MMO takes 100,000 miles to 'declare itself', you've probably gotten your money's worth out of your catalytic converter. Failures at that mileage are common, out of warranty and have nothing to do with using MMO or not.

'Failure' is a slippery term - it many cases all that has happened is that the vehicle throws a P0420 CEL code. Several things can cause this, including oxygen sensor issues. But, dealers love to replace parts. Replacing a catalytic converter, whether it needs it or not, probably wins them a prize! To the extent it really is the catalytic converter issue, you might Google 'citrus clean catalytic converter'.

#3397510 - 06/14/14 04:24 PM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: MileHigh18]
Triton_330 Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Albeit I'm joining in on this discussion a bit late in the game... BUT... here's my 2 or 3 cents anyways.

One thing that hasn't yet been stated, and that IMO is important is... where you get your gas from! I live in a town where the only two gas stations are Casey's gas. The good old boys down at Oreilly's (in a town 12 miles away), as well as the guys at Autozone (in another town 14 miles away) will both tell any customer how BAD Casey's gas is. It's absolutely one of the worst gasses of the quote unquote bad gas stations. One guy at Oreilly's told me he ran Casey's gas once in his mustang (where normally he uses BP) and that just that one fill up alone made his car feel sluggish and ran badly. A later fill up at BP solved the problem. SO, what's my point? Do I think MMO is good? Simply put, MMO, or even other additives like STP gas additive, or those other better ones like Techron, all will help the fuel quality of bad gas, no doubt about it. How do I know. Well, some nay-sayers may not think a simple anecdotal piece of evidence stands to represent any meaning at all, but I ignore them. My F-150 runs smoother with BP, and I try to get it when I'm out of town, but when I have to fill up in town with Casey's, you'd better believe I'm going to throw in some kind of fuel additive, regardless of brand. With that being said, some of my favorites are Techron, STP, Gumout, MMO, and Regane. *Cough* but definitely not Lucas! Call whatever fallacy as you might, but I know from firsthand experience that MMO DOES help with bad quality gas.

The uncertainty of whether my cat will become clogged up by using MMO mixed with bad gas... Heck, I just don't care. All I care is that my butt dyno tells me that running MMO with Casey's gas does help. Nonetheless, straight up BP gas (without any additive) still makes my truck run better than Casey's gas with MMO (or anything else). But, in a small country town with only Casey's, it's difficult getting better gas unless I'm out of town.
- PYB 5w-30 w/AC Delco filter

#3398398 - 06/15/14 07:28 PM Re: Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO! [Re: MileHigh18]
morris Offline

Loc: ks, wichita
"compression fitting" NOT on my TWK. i have been using MMO for 30 years but Don cant tell when ill have my first fail!!!!

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7