Adaptive Steering from Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully it's better the original electric steering I hate it. It has no feed back.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Hopefully it's better the original electric steering I hate it. It has no feed back.

That usually only a problem on economy/low budget cars.. most of the nicer cars now have decently weighted electric steering.

some of the first gen ones were uninspiring however.

How many cars have electric power steering these days? Both 528e and Rat have power assist with a pump. Recently rented a Hyundai Elantra . It would get squirrelly going over potholes. Was that electric?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: ram_man

That usually only a problem on economy/low budget cars.. most of the nicer cars now have decently weighted electric steering.

some of the first gen ones were uninspiring however.

Some of the ones I've driven by ford weren't there cheap cars . I could see why the masses would like it but to me it felt artificial and to easy most of these vehicle are a couple yrs old maybe the new ones are better

EPS is just like multi speed transmissions.

PROGRAMMING is everything. Mazda has no problems with EPS.

There is a learning curve here, as mfgrs get feedback from their customer base a simple change to the program that controls the EPS will make it better.

Aftermarket tuners are coming that affect this issue and more...

I am impressed by how well the electric steering works in the Escape. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you do you realize that it works quite well. You just have to stop correcting for things you have learned to correct for - like road crowns and being passed by trucks. Makes the little escape feel like a much more solid vehicle - and prevents flip inducing over correction at highway speeds.

The electric assist steering in the '12 Mustang I ha as well as the '11 F150 had dramatic changes to feel depending on tire size used. With skinnier tires the steering definitely had a dead feel but with wider rubbers it felt happily neutral IMHO.

To this day I can't say whether I prefer the rack and pinion my '96 GT had over it or not. The new stuff certainly feels tighter, maybe that's just because its newer though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back