MC 5W-20 SynBlend, 8150 mi, 2013 Mustang 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil change number two for my Mustang. This car is my DD with a pretty easy 15 mile commute to work every day. I changed the oil with 6% left on the OLM. The oil was in a couple weeks shy of a full year so I'm guessing the OLM was tracking one year and would have let me put more miles on it if I drove more per day.

The old oil was from a free change at the dealership. I'll be doing my own changes from here on out so it's now filled with Mobil 5W/20 full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter.

4kisy.jpg

wow, love it, i would have stayed with MC 5w20 with results like that and save some money. but hey your car, your choice.

Very nice indeed. Next time spring for the TBN so you can extend changes after warranty. Your wear is near average without all the break in noise washed out, impressive.

Nice. I always had good results on my F-150 and my wife's Freestar with either MC syn blend or Mobil 1 5w-20, and Motorcraft FL-400S filters.

In a taxi test which is not usual DD stuff I know, but the MC blend 5w-20 out performed M1 5w-20. The test ran about 100K per vehicle which for most is not quite a year. This came after an M1 test paid for by someone else that got a lot of publicity. The M1 vs MC test was done by the taxi company and got no publicity. Anyhow they are now using the MC oil

Nice - I'm betting as the engine breaks in your numbers will fall. The M1 will be fine for the life of the car IMO. 10k OCI should be no problem.

I had similar results with similar driving conditions with Motorcraft in my 3.7L Ford. Ford Quicklane discounts their changes all day every day and rotates your tires, too. I figure I'll go to a more relaxed OCI and have them change the other fluids more frequently than required with the money I save.

Nice report, and it must feel strange (it would to me) going so long on an oil so early in the vehicle's life...guess that's what OLMs are supposed to do, and it looks like it works.

I tried to buy some of this oil on Friday from my local Ford Dealer, but they don't stock it (and don't know if they can get it).

I want some in my stash.

As an aside, Blackstone need to redo what the 20 grade is on their "should be" tables. 20 is now 6.9 to 9.3. 16 now occupies the 6.1 to 8.2 range.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Nice report, and it must feel strange (it would to me) going so long on an oil so early in the vehicle's life...guess that's what OLMs are supposed to do, and it looks like it works.

Car & Driver's long term test of a 2013 Mustang was giving them an average of 10,000 mile OCIs. I, too, was surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back