Ruger LCR in .38 or .357 -- good carry pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again I'm thinking it's time to get back into handgunning and target shooting, with an eye to earning a concealed carry permit. The Ruger Lightweight Carry Revolver (http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/a-brand-new-spin-ruger-lightweight-carry-revolver-review/) in either .38 Special or .357 has caught my eye. It's lightweight (obviously), mild on recoil (at least with .38 ammo), and from what I've read and remember, you can't go wrong with a Ruger.

Would there be any advantage/disadvantage to the hammerless model vs. the model with the hammer (http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html)? If I bought the .357 model, I could fire .38 Special rounds in it for target practice, right? And if you have one, do you like it?

I have a LCR 357 and a S&W 340MP. Hands down the S&W is far superior in fit and finish and a few ounces lighter. I am no where near recoil sensitive but I tell you these little guys in 357 take a commitment to training and some deep competition. The Ruger offers a much better factory trigger and the Houge grip is excellent. It is larger than the 340PM and shoots softer.

38+ are easily handled with either of the 2. I went to Buffalo Bore low flash 357 carry loads and these loads are a dream to shoot compared to full house 357's.

My advice; shoot them both!! If money is no issue I would say 340MP and a $70 trigger job is as perfect a snubbie could get. But if cost a factor then you will not beat the LCR 357.

You'll want the model without exposed hammer. Then find a 50 round box of the Speer Short Barrel Gold Dots in .38 for carry.

Last edited:
As an old-time James Bond fan, I react very positively to the mention of "Smith & Wesson Centennial Airweight" -- it's one of those phrases that just comes out in a roll. "Only five cartridges," Major Boothroyd (the Armourer) tells Bond in Doctor No, "but by the time they're gone . . . somebody's been killed."

I'll need to see if my local gun shop has either of these. The difference in price is pretty steep, but of course I want a solid gun that will last me for years.

If you want a S&W just get a 442/642 for under $400. .357 is unnecessary in baby revolvers.

Originally Posted By: hatt
If you want a S&W just get a 442/642 for under $400. .357 is unnecessary in baby revolvers.

I was only thinking of the .357 because it is made more sturdily, I am reading, to handle the extra power. True, I'm reading about the 642, the modern "Centennial Airweight," and it looks like a grand gun.

A friend of mine has the .38 special LCR, with the hard plastic crimson trace grip, and I find it downright unpleasant to shoot.

I have the .38 special LCR with the stock rubber grip, and it's a lot better, but still not a lot of fun.

It's a fine carry revolver, but not a good gun for fun shooting / target practice. If you're going to carry .357, that's what you need to practice with.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

I was only thinking of the .357 because it is made more sturdily, I am reading, to handle the extra power. True, I'm reading about the 642, the modern "Centennial Airweight," and it looks like a grand gun.
It's stronger. At a signification cost and/or weight increase. J frames aren't something that tends to be shot enough to need to worry.

I had the 38+P. Great for carry, hated shooting it, even with wadcutters. Traded for the 357 version. I can tell when I shoot +P but even 38+P is more gentle than wadcutters in the 38-only version (more muzzle flip but not nearly the same hand abuse). I could almost forget I had the lighter gun in my pocket, whereas the 357 afterwards just seemed vastly more noticable.

I have zero intention of ever trying 357 in it. No thanks.

I've tried 357, some supposedly light Blazer Brass, in my 3" SP101. About two rounds and I'm done. The recoil isn't the problem it's the blast. It's not too loud but even being outdoors I can really feel the noise wave hitting me.

There are a couple of gun ranges and gun stores near me; I'll have a look this weekend. One on the east bank of the river will rent pistols for $10 an hour, and they offer the S & W 442 Airweight, the blued model.

If I was to be pedantic I would say the LCR is not a pistol, it is a revolver. I try not to get the two confused.

Depending on how you choose to carry, the LCR would either be perfect or a pain in the rear. Pocket carry seems to be too thick but that's about as thin as you're gonna get for a revolver.

I went through the whole process awhile back and what I decided was that the LCR has a better grip and trigger, but the S&W Airweights (642, 637, 638) have a much nicer fit and finish and I would probably go for one of those over an LCR. That being said, I have an SP-101 in 357 and it's a shooter. 357 loads make your palm numb for a few seconds but that's to be expected. If I was going with a lightweight I'd skip the 357 and go with a 38+P unless they were both the same price.

637c_edited-1_zpsc1b60827.jpg

^ This is the Performance Center 637 (also known as a Chief's Special). It has a near match-grade trigger and is really nice for the range and suitable for defense. Only issue is the hammer, but a Model 638 (eight, not seven) has a bobbed hammer that you can still cock back if you don't mind the weird look. Beautiful gun.

Ruger1.jpg

^ Compared to an LCR. As I said, nice grips and a really crisp, swift trigger. Not as nice to look at or hold and the single action of the S&W PC just smokes anything I've ever shot in a revolver.

A revolver will almost never fail and that's what you need for a defense carry gun. Good luck.

The S & W 442/642 and the Ruger LCR are fairly close in price. I guess it'll come down to which one feels better in my hand, and (if I can test-fire them both) which works better for me to shoot -- as in, comfortable recoil and "Can I put the little bits of metal where I want 'em to go?"

Does the S & W 637/638 also come in blued finish?

That LCR is a nice looking Gun. I ve been away from guns for awhile, since they went insane with prices. I have plenty. I have never been a Ruger fan. I own almost all Smith & Wesson. But that is a nice looking gun. Nice thing about .357 is you can shoot reduced .38 shells in it.

I have the LCR in .357. The girlfriend has it in .38. All I can really say is that with the stock grips....it's exceptional as a firearm and has a great feel in the hand. No need for those laser grips....not anywhere near worth it in my book and it ruins the nice grip. I've fired mine many times in .357 and have no difficulty firing it nor any issues hitting a target at a reasonable range. In .38 it's even better and spot on for a snub. I find the finish of both weapons to be very nicely done.
If it were me....get the .357. If you desire an even more concealable firearm....in .38 it is even better for that purpose.

Last edited:
I love my S&W 642 (no external hammer) grips change out in a few seconds and are widely available from big to tiny to suit yourself. .357 mag is my favorite caliber but in a small revolver .38+p is more than enough.
The LCR .357 is also heavier with its steel cylinder.

You've got two purposes for the same gun: concealed carry and target shooting.

Unfortunately, those two purposes are best served by two different guns, the things that make a good target gun (long barrel/sight radius, weight) make a lousy concealed guns and vice-versa...

Short, lightweight guns are not as easy or pleasant to shoot. Sure, you can shoot .38 SPL from a .357MAG, but in a lightweight revolver, neither will be pleasant.

Personally, I recommend that you get two pistols...each will be better suited to your two purposes.

Once you've got your carry gun, you really need to practice with it: draw, shoot, reload. It takes thousands of repetitions to make a movement into muscle memory. Most folks who carry delude themselves about their ability to quickly draw and present the weapon while under stress (and you're under stress if you're drawing a weapon...the adrenaline is pumping, your heart rate is up, and your fine motor skills are degraded). You've got to be able to draw quickly and hit the target with your choice of carry gun or it's not going to do you much good.

Though I don't own either, I DID have a chance to handle one @ Cabela's. Very handy and what a trigger! I have little experience with S&W's but the one snubby I did inherit, was hard on the fingers to shoot. Maybe the others here have had better luck with them, but I pass. If I carried a revolver; it would be the SP-101.

I've been looking at a snubby for awhile also.

Several folks who I trust recommend the .357 LCR over the .38.
The extra couple of ounces really help soak up the snappy recoil that the .38 +p ammunition has in such a light weight platform.

These pistols are meant to be carried a lot, and shot a little.
They are difficult and rather painful to shoot at times, depending on the person, and the ammunition used.

BTW, if you want a target pistol chack out the 6" Barreled Ruger GP101. That thing is awesome with either .357's or .38's.
My wife can hammer targets way out there with .38's, and is pretty decent with .357's also.
With wadcutters it feels like a .22

You won't ever get that in a lightweight carry firearm. Just not enough mass to soak up the energy from the recoil.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You've got two purposes for the same gun: concealed carry and target shooting.

Unfortunately, those two purposes are best served by two different guns, the things that make a good target gun (long barrel/sight radius, weight) make a lousy concealed guns and vice-versa...

Short, lightweight guns are not as easy or pleasant to shoot. Sure, you can shoot .38 SPL from a .357MAG, but in a lightweight revolver, neither will be pleasant.

Personally, I recommend that you get two pistols...each will be better suited to your two purposes.

Once you've got your carry gun, you really need to practice with it: draw, shoot, reload. It takes thousands of repetitions to make a movement into muscle memory. Most folks who carry delude themselves about their ability to quickly draw and present the weapon while under stress (and you're under stress if you're drawing a weapon...the adrenaline is pumping, your heart rate is up, and your fine motor skills are degraded). You've got to be able to draw quickly and hit the target with your choice of carry gun or it's not going to do you much good.

Well, no. When I say "target shooting," I mean the kind of training you're talking about, getting familiar with the gun and how it shoots. I've been away from guns for a few years, and need to sharpen up my skills.

From what I understand, ammo these days is pricey. I have no intention of spending an hour at the range firing off .38 Spl rounds, or of taking the gun out into the country to shoot defenseless bottles. When I say "target shooting," I mean practice with the carry gun.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Several folks who I trust recommend the .357 LCR over the .38.
The extra couple of ounces really help soak up the snappy recoil that the .38 +p ammunition has in such a light weight platform.

Exactly what I was thinking -- a compromise between recoil and firepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back