Ford Eco-boost vs silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: wag123

I take issue with this. I have never known anybody who has ever had any kind of a powertrain problem with a Toyota truck, even trucks with very high miles on them.

So none of them were victims of the camshafts snapping in half? As that was an issue Toyota had.

They probably didn't last long with the poor quality rusting frames Toyota liked to use.
smile.gif

IMHO, the Tundra is the best built most reliable truck you can buy. Their 5.7L V/8 is strong and bullet-proof, and all of the other mechanical components are hefty enough to be used in a 3/4 ton.

Well I am glad that is your opinion as the Tundra, while a very good truck is not a 3/4 ton or better, smaller brakes, smaller frame, not a full floating rear axle, no 8 lug rims. Shall I continue, oh lets not forget the payload,
2014 Tundra Payload
My 2002 2500HD has a Max Payload of 3200 lbs.

You might want to check on that stuff. A good half ton truck? Yes it is. Better than a 3/4 ton that is laughable at best, especially since most of the difference between a SRW 1 ton and 3/4 is the leaf spring package.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I take issue with this. I have never known anybody who has ever had any kind of a powertrain problem with a Toyota truck, even trucks with very high miles on them.

So none of them were victims of the camshafts snapping in half? As that was an issue Toyota had.

Sssshh, how dare you malign the FABULOUS Toyota!!!

It should be noted that we are actually watching the pickup market very closely. Toyota's current offerings do absolutely NOTHING for me. They make my Silverado look like an economy car! They won't get any looks from us unless completely redesigned.

Bloated monsters that should never have been called by a name that conjures up images of economical well built little cars!

Last edited:
I'll chime in on the tundra end of things. granted mine is a prev generation so the info is a little dated, but we base our decisions on recent histories, and 2006 is recent enough.

The 2006 was indeed different from other offerings, and it sticks out today as a unique animal. mine is a limited TRD, and that pretty much means "simple truck with leather." the HVAC controls are push/pull cables. the wiring is not multiplexed-- there is a wire for each function. there are very few "frills" of any kind. The LSD is mechanical, not brake-actuated. Aside from the VVT, it could have been manufactured in the mid-90's.

By the looks of it, the PO was pretty hard on it. Obvious wear to the receiver hitch + a removed brake control says it towed something big. Every spot the detailer missed when it was resold was filthy---- mud caked HIGH up in the engine bay nooks and crannies. nasty funk buried in the folds of the interior.

Yet it runs like a top. And we've put it through its paces towing our TT which is very close, all said and done, to the max rating. No hiccups. Has features you don't find in other trucks, such as engine oil cooling (heat exchanger to the coolant). And anyone who's ever rebuilt a 'yota motor has probably observed that they are pretty beefy, and pay attention to quality metals, extra metal, etc..

And while the driveline seems stout, they didn't test it all the way through. sound insulation is completely inadequate for the raucous droning that fill the cab when pulling. At towing RPMs (2300-3000) the oem insulation is useless. it's a quiet truck where it normally lives below 2200 rpm, but with O/D off, the tuning is nonexistent. It's obnoxious. So-- the powertrain engineers did the normal toyota thing, but the guys in the body department didn't really see it as a priority. may be a case of, "we met the HP/towing numbers people want to see, but we don't see the majority of them doing it...." I'm considering dynamat, peal and seal, or even roofing tar soon, under the carpet...

As others have said, they are thirsty. it's not really the most comfortable thing to ride or drive in either--- it is stiff, and utilitarian. I average ~17mpg around town, but very conservatively driven with rare use of the A/C. But if feels solid and no-nonsense. Like a 1980s GM. And it seems to have steel where steel needs to be.

and nothing leaks. or even seeps. the engine, transmission, axle seals, are dry as a bone.

The newer ones, I have no experience with, can't say. I don't like the "over-muscular" looks that followed mine---- looks like something pulled off an anime art show. but all of them started doing that at the same time and I can't say much for them either. I think newer offerings have toned it down some.

I don't really feel biased -- the toyota is really good at what it needs to do. It seems a simple, well-built utilitarian vehicle. Our next truck might not be a 'yota, as our towing needs really put the truck to its limits, but for what it is, the simplicity and sturdiness stand out as positives.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

IMHO, the Tundra is the best built most reliable truck you can buy. Their 5.7L V/8 is strong and bullet-proof, and all of the other mechanical components are hefty enough to be used in a 3/4 ton.

Well I am glad that is your opinion as the Tundra, while a very good truck is not a 3/4 ton or better, smaller brakes, smaller frame, not a full floating rear axle, no 8 lug rims. Shall I continue, oh lets not forget the payload,
2014 Tundra Payload

You might want to check on that stuff. A good half ton truck? Yes it is. Better than a 3/4 ton that is laughable at best, especially since most of the difference between a SRW 1 ton and 3/4 is the leaf spring package.

You are comparing apples and oranges! Toyota does not build a 3/4 ton truck, yet you are making comparisons with your 2500HD? Tundras are 1/2 ton trucks!

To all of you that want to take issue with what I have said, I remind you that this is the last statement that I made regarding value:
As far as "bang-for-the-buck" is concerned, IMHO a Chevy with a 5.3L V/8 wins, if you can find one that isn't built in Mexico (hard to do where I live).

To back up some of the statements that I made... I think that Toyota builds an excellent quality 1/2 ton truck. In terms of overall build quality, probably the best. Perfect? NO! Good ride? NO! Great gas mileage? NO! Can they break? OF COURSE! Do they break? SELDOM! Price of admission? HIGH!

Regardless, I still think that 5.3L V/8 Chevy is a very good truck and they are certainly a better buy! My vote goes to Chevy. But, I'm not impressed with the build quality of their Mexican produced trucks. I have seen some very shabby workmanship on some of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

2014 Tundra Payload

You are comparing apples and oranges! Toyota does not build a 3/4 ton truck, yet you are making comparisons with your 2500HD? Tundras are 1/2 ton trucks!

Right, but you were the one who said the components are hefty enough to be used on a 3/4 ton truck. They are not, well at least I don't want them on mine. Re read what I was replying to from your post. The parts are not hefty enough to be used on 3/4 ton truck. I was illustrating why. What parts on that half ton can be used on a 3/4 ton except for the motor and transmission?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Tell me about the tundra.

I'd certainly consider one but only because there's a decent dealer here to work with. Most Toyo dealers are horrible to work with since they won't negotiate that much and think their vehicles are made of gold.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Tell me about the tundra.

I'd certainly consider one but only because there's a decent dealer here to work with. Most Toyo dealers are horrible to work with since they won't negotiate that much and think their vehicles are made of gold.

I had a family member who lives in Texas and bought a new truck recently. You could get a Tundra for even less than a Tacoma because many people there fear a dramatic rise in fuel costs.

IMHO a Chevy with a 5.3L V/8 wins, if you can find one that isn't built in Mexico (hard to do where I live).

Regardless, I still think that 5.3L V/8 Chevy is a very good truck and they are certainly a better buy! My vote goes to Chevy. But, I'm not impressed with the build quality of their Mexican produced trucks. I have seen some very shabby workmanship on some of them.

I saw on the sticker that my 2013 Silverado was assembled in Mexico and thought, whew, now that is good to know!

Reason? My 2013 Freightliner Columbia kit truck. Two assembly locations, N.C. and Mexico. Dealer told me later that they kept their fingers crossed mine would be assembled in Mexico. If there was ever a problem, it would be with a truck assembled in N.C. Well, mine was done in N.C. and it took the dealer 2.5 weeks to correct faulty assembly issues with the truck before I could take ownership.

I have not one issue with the build quality of my 2013 Silverado assembled in Mexico. I actually feel more comforted that it was! They may not be as technically astute, but at least Pedro and Ortiz appreciate their job whereas Bubba and the union is only concerned with Monday night football, meeting up at Hooters, or going fishing after work to lower themselves to worrying about the quality of the finished vehicle coming off the line.

I have hauled production auto parts to Ford, Chrysler, and GM assembly plants since the early 90's. Seeing it first hand has always made me cringe at buying a new vehicle.

IMHO, the Tundra is the best built most reliable truck you can buy. Their 5.7L V/8 is strong and bullet-proof, and all of the other mechanical components are hefty enough to be used in a 3/4 ton. The icing on the cake is that they are ALL built in the USA. Many of the Fords, Chevys and Rams are built in Mexico (look for a 3 as the first digit of the VIN). The quality of the Mexican built trucks is definitely sub-standard compared to their American built counterparts.
But, Tundras are pricy.

Funny that we own several Silverados used in a fleet. Only one of them was made in the US. There is no substantive difference in their build quality or performance. We routinely run them a minimum of 200k miles, all city, with nothing but fuel, tires, and a set of brake linings. Then when we sell them they have fantastic resale IMO. Never had one more than a week after putting it out for sale. The last one I sold had 500k miles on her and ran like a dream! Admittedly we are intensive maintainers.

I am not a Toyota fan anymore, their quality is almost certainly not what they used to be.
I have clients with Tundras who like them, and I have others that tell horror stories. But to me Toyota has always stood for reliable simple vehicles that LAST, and I don't see that "legendary reliability" as anything more than marketing hype.

I think any reasonable person would agree that EVERY make has a few lemons, every single one. But when I look out my office and see the lot I see nothing but money makers. Our trucks are how we eat, so, just like Clevy, if we find a better truck we'll buy one!

Is over sized parts a good thing? Doesn't that create higher maintenance cost?

I think a lot of 1/2 ton pickup owners never tow. Many own a home and use it to buy mulch etc. My concern would be with towing. If you are getting 345hp with the v-6, How much boost are you using running down the road when towing a trailer over 3000lbs at 60-65mph? I think the turbo will hold up fine with out towing, like in cars such as subaru volvo etc. But when towing, how will they hold up for hours on end with boost?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Meep, note I was talking about current offerings, not older ones.

Steve--- totally understood. no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back