Porter-Cable Pancake Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am looking at this particular air compressor:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-150-psi-Oil-Free-Pancake-Compressor-C2002/203162815

It is a 6-gal, oil-free pancake style compressor. I plan to use once or twice a month during detailing to clean buffing pads and crevices. I understand that oil-free models will be noisier and less durable, but this unit will not be used daily and I will keep my expectations realistic.

So for occasional use, will this unit suffice? $99 is certainly an attractive price point.

Thanks.

It might be nice that it doesn't shoot out occasional droplets of oil on your detailing stuff.

As for cleaning crevices, doesn't that use tons of airflow?

I have that exact model (got it for $40 from Lowe's when I worked there, it had a motor replaced). I've only used it about 10 times to air up tires, no problems so far. Just make sure to open the valve on the bottom and drain the water out when you're done.

If you really are only going to use it occasional blow off items, than you may not need to spend that much.

I have had this HF pancake compressor for about 3 years and I've used it for the same types of things. I paid $39 with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

Originally Posted By: Chris142
http://m.harborfreight.com/21-gal-2-12-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html

It's easy to find coupons that make this compressor $149.

I also have the product linked in the OP.

I've had issues with the regulator. Basically with more than 50PSI in it, I can't turn the regulator, so I have to deplete it below 50 PSI and then guess how much a partial turn will increase or decrease PSI. If I try to force it when over 50PSi, it Skips a thread and backs off 30 PSi, very loudly.

I've found the 100 PSI setting, which is the max for my 23gauge pin nailer and is adequate for my other nail guns with most woods I have been joining as of late.

I bought mine as a Kit with the three nail guns and 25 feet of hose.

It is pretty Noisy, I find it kicking on to be startling and found work interrupted when it was Nap time for the Client's Kids, which was frustrating.

I had to replace the drain valve as the rubber grommet got chewed up.
It will hiss and lose pressure, sometimes.

It can not keep up when I am blowing dust off large surfaces, and I still think there is some contamination when blowing things off, even with the oilless compressor

My epoxy hotcoats 'fisheye' if I use it the blower on the surface before brushing on the epoxy.

If it were to fail tomorrow, For 100 bucks, I might consider getting another. It has paid for itself a few times over, and I need the portability.

I have that same compressor that I use for my finish and framing nailers. It works well in that application, but I wouldn't expect much out of it for something that needs continuous air flow.

I have the same compressor. It's not the cheapest compressor out there, since HF will always beat a name brand in price. I've had mine for at least 8 years now and it works fine but she is noisy.

It doesn't have a ton of air, so you might be running it for a longer amount of time depending on what you are doing.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
If you want low noise you can consider getting a quieter one. Seems like ones that are very quiet with okay output would be oil less. I guess its fine if you are not a heavy user.

California Air Tools. They have a few different sizes and power rating but I think the 4.6 gallon is a good size to have.

Quietzone. This seems to come in a few different label like All Power America, Steele, Gentron. They have this in a 3.5 and 4.6 gallon size.

I have a California Air Tools 1.6 gallon oil less. I got it from Home Depot online and pickup in store. Its not too heavy since the tank is aluminum. The reason I got it is because I needed something not too big and quiet. It is certainly very quiet, rated slightly less than 60db. I use it for basic use like for inflating tires, light cleaning and light duty nailers. I actually tried to run an impact for fun and it does work but of course just to loosen one or two things.

Don't think I'd want to use an oiled compressor to inflate tires. Otherwise that makita is great.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Don't think I'd want to use an oiled compressor to inflate tires. Otherwise that makita is great.

Can I ask why you don't want to use a oiled compressor this is a new one to me.

Last edited:

Why.
The oiled pump is way better. And if by chance some oil is vapourized and gets into the tank the air regulator is positioned up high so no oil can actually flow out of the hoses.

I make my living off of air compressors and tires require capacity and an oiled pump will last almost forever vs 100 running hours for an oil-less unit.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Why.
The oiled pump is way better. And if by chance some oil is vapourized and gets into the tank the air regulator is positioned up high so no oil can actually flow out of the hoses.

I make my living off of air compressors and tires require capacity and an oiled pump will last almost forever vs 100 running hours for an oil-less unit.

+1. Oiled compressors are the only kind I have ever owned.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
If you want low noise you can consider getting a quieter one. Seems like ones that are very quiet with okay output would be oil less. I guess its fine if you are not a heavy user.

California Air Tools. They have a few different sizes and power rating but I think the 4.6 gallon is a good size to have.

Quietzone. This seems to come in a few different label like All Power America, Steele, Gentron. They have this in a 3.5 and 4.6 gallon size.

I have a California Air Tools 1.6 gallon oil less. I got it from Home Depot online and pickup in store. Its not too heavy since the tank is aluminum. The reason I got it is because I needed something not too big and quiet. It is certainly very quiet, rated slightly less than 60db. I use it for basic use like for inflating tires, light cleaning and light duty nailers. I actually tried to run an impact for fun and it does work but of course just to loosen one or two things.

I have one of those Quietzone All-Power units, it is very very quiet. It only goes up to 105psi, so you have a little less to work with before it need to recharge, but for airing up tires and small projects in the house, it's no big deal.

I'm not a heavy user, but I'm very happy that I went with one of the quiet units. I don't have space for upright oiled compressors (yet!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back